Chaos in Dara Happa.

Orlanthatemyhamster

During the Greater Darkness, what forms does chaos take in DH and the surrounding area? 

Kazkurtum? 

I really have no idea on this one. 

Most of the established Chaos gods seem Sartar specific, though I don't want to get too hung up on that, I'm more interested in any DH gods that aren't expanded on. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

During the Greater Darkness, what forms does chaos take in DH and the surrounding area? 

Kazkurtum? 

I really have no idea on this one. 

Most of the established Chaos gods seem Sartar specific, though I don't want to get too hung up on that, I'm more interested in any DH gods that aren't expanded on. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Chaos takes place at the fringes (ie Tork, Marching Scourge, the Bleak Land) and what seems to dominate in Dara Happa and elsewhere is Darkness who do a brilliant job in keeping chaos away at the expense of making mortal lives so miserable that they are unable to appreciate this.  Kazkurtum is, I understand, a cockroach deity while other powerful gods of that time were general dark gods like Derdromus and Monster Man or generally hellish places like Demonland and Alkoth.

So Dara Happa really doesn't have a good mythology of chaos.  

Except Scorpionfolk (who were around in the Golden Age).  

Yelm's death had a far more profound shock to the Dara Happan psyche than Chaos ever did.

I am sure that Dara Happa suffered from the privations of Chaos, but it suffered far more from Valind grinding his way over, Darkness foes and the Storm Tribe running amok.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I am sure that Dara Happa suffered from the privations of Chaos, but it suffered far more from Valind grinding his way over, Darkness foes and the Storm Tribe running amok.

There's a reason DH is not still covered by Valind's glacier - it was destroyed, melted, dissolved, etc. by Chaos.  If you go back to Trollpak, you can see there's Chaos that come marching right through Peloria.

Several of the initial battles noted there are potentially relevant.

1. Stormfall – A defeat for the Gods of Air. The Devil and his minions fell upon the Castle of the North Wind and destroyed all who opposed them. Trolls there fled after their windy leaders were killed.
2. Boztakang’s Victory – The Devil Wakboth and his slimy army moved in a wide arc and tried to surround the craters and peaks of the Blue Moon Ruins. The trolls’ magic and courage fought them off.
3. Icebreak – The chaos god Krjalk moved northward across the glacial sheets north of Fronela, melting the ice as it went. With his magical army he invaded the Ice Castle of Valind, God of Winter. Trolls, with freezing Himile magics, were foremost among the defenders and stopped the advance, turning the chaos army upon Krjalk and driving him back to Fronela.
4. Unity Battle – Trolls were a part of this force, but elves, dwarves, and humans also cooperated. During this time, the mountains of the Rockwood Range were bursting forth from the earth, the Pelorian rivers were washing backwards or forging new beds, and any habitants of the land were fleeing both the earth-quakes and the army. The victors here later formed the First Council.
5. Glory of the Black Sun – A chaos army, possibly led by Tien, staggered around the Old Mountains (occupied by trembling humans and beasts) fresh from their victory over Genert, God of the Earth. The battle was fought by organized armies on both sides, which is peculiar but not impossible in the chaos wars. Other organized chaos armies appeared later.

The first likely occurs somewhere in the White Sea region, but expect there to be Chaotic remnants in the north.

The second, though depicted as one place on the map, the description suggests Chaos all around the Blue Moon Plateau.  Expect possible Chaos around the region.

Ice covered DH all the way to Alkoth (the Hill of Gold in Vanch is supposed to be just beyond the glacial line).  Krjalk and minions likely melted or shattered the ice all across DH and Peloria. 

The Unity Battle depicted here is in Peloria, but I think this represents a common event across Genertela.

The path to the fifth battle leads right through Tork and then through the Elder Wilds and around the Rockwoods.  Think of Tork being a place where a mountain range stretching between Imther and the Hungry Plateau once existed.  It's gone, melted and mutated by Chaos.

But there were trolls in Peloria, and they certainly contributed to driving Chaos off elsewhere.

Personally, I think you can readily incorporate the following into the Greater Darkness of Peloria: Pocharngo and gorp melting away ice and mountains; Krjalk corrupting and betraying humans; the ogres of Cacodemon feeding upon weaker humans; Tien devouring minds and knowledge; and certainly the presence of Mallia and Thed's broos.  I like the idea of mutated and twisted dwarfs enslaved by Chaos as well.

11TrollBattles.JPG

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

There's a reason DH is not still covered by Valind's glacier - it was destroyed, melted, dissolved, etc. by Chaos. 

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

So, 2 and 4 are in the rough areas of Dara Happa, or Peloria. 2 is at the Blue Moon Plateau and 4 looks to be in Tarsh, maybe.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/28/2022 at 6:43 AM, soltakss said:

Yelm's death had a far more profound shock to the Dara Happan psyche than Chaos ever did.

Peloria suffered from storm gods, trolls, the glacier, and then from Chaos which ravaged and destroyed everything that was left. All were awful, and often get rolled into together. But after Chaos, there really was nothing left but Alkothi and horse nomads.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Not up to speed on DH myths. The Glorious Reascent of Yelm has always blunted my attempts to understand yelmites. But woudl it be possible that most of DH culture just skipped the whole Greater darkness, going to the underworld and returning with the sun? That way only the Alkothi and the nomads (as well as the Uz and the ram people) really survived Chaos, and remember the events of the Chaos war...

On 1/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, metcalph said:

Kazkurtum is, I understand, a cockroach deity

the image of Kazkurtum is based on an Australian indigenous figure, who is both a storm deity - Namarrgon the lightning man - and a grasshopper (not a cockroach). 
The connection is more obvious if you can see the grasshopper - they are electric blue - and appear at the same time of year as storm season. 
https://parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/discover/culture/stories/ 

I’ve visited this exact image a few times, it’s very impressive, I love it. I’m actually a bit uncomfortable with the way it’s been incorporated into Glorantha for such a different deity. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, davecake said:

the image of Kazkurtum is based on an Australian indigenous figure, who is both a storm deity - Namarrgon the lightning man - and a grasshopper (not a cockroach). 
The connection is more obvious if you can see the grasshopper - they are electric blue - and appear at the same time of year as storm season. 
https://parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/discover/culture/stories/ 

I’ve visited this exact image a few times, it’s very impressive, I love it. I’m actually a bit uncomfortable with the way it’s been incorporated into Glorantha for such a different deity. 

It looks like a person with no skin, I would have guessed it was from native Australia culture, but no more than that. 

On 2/1/2022 at 10:04 AM, JRE said:

Not up to speed on DH myths. The Glorious Reascent of Yelm has always blunted my attempts to understand yelmites. But woudl it be possible that most of DH culture just skipped the whole Greater darkness, going to the underworld and returning with the sun? That way only the Alkothi and the nomads (as well as the Uz and the ram people) really survived Chaos, and remember the events of the Chaos war...

I started it no end of times, and am enjoying it now, but only after tearing it apart and putting it mentally back together. 

I think a lot of the SL needs to be read before you can read it. If that makes sense. You have to already understand it, before you can read it.