Refuge and Karse

jajagappa

4 hours ago, davecake said:

a weirdly large number of heroes who died and returned were killed by Harrek … he could make it difficult for at least the lesser heroes to return, and generally just doesn’t care to? 

It could be that — after @Eff — his heart is not really in his murderous project. (He dreams of a new career in a new town. Ikebana?)

Or it could be that if they don’t come back he will eventually run out of people to kill. Which may turn out not to be such a different suggestion, after all: either way, the guy is lost.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

I was always under the impression that Midkemia's The City of Carse supplement could be dropped in for Karse in Glorantha, but now I find myself questioning that impression. Was that incorrect? (And yes, I'm aware that the current material supersedes whatever might have been produced by a third-party previously, whether or not my memory is faulty.)

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

17 minutes ago, AlHazred said:

under the impression that Midkemia's The City of Carse supplement could be dropped in for Karse in Glorantha, but now I find myself questioning that impression. Was that incorrect?

I believe that was the original idea (at the same time that Refuge was positioned as a place to drop in Sanctuary), but long superseded.  

• Like 1

We have a detailed Gloranthian map of Karse and the old Carse map from Midkemia. I'll use Karse as Karse and find some other place to pop in Carse. We already have GoldGotti and the Red Savant in Karse somewhere so its already getting character separate from that of the Midkemia Carse.

image.png.a97a8d390879374fa604e331b3846944.png

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jajagappa said:
20 hours ago, AlHazred said:

under the impression that Midkemia's The City of Carse supplement could be dropped in for Karse in Glorantha, but now I find myself questioning that impression. Was that incorrect?

I believe that was the original idea (at the same time that Refuge was positioned as a place to drop in Sanctuary), but long superseded.  

That's what happened in the Chaosium House Campaign, much like the VIkings Box was playtested in Ygg's Isles, and I put quite a bit of writing and effort to align the offering with how my Glorantha works. MGWV, of course.

Having read the Stafford Campaign notes, Greg's Campaign Glorantha Was Variant.

Still, there are quite a few memorable character concepts and neighborhood inter-relations that can survive transplantation from the map of Caernarfon to the new layout, with little effort if it is for your own campaign. For the Jonstown Compendium, you'd be ending up imitating the dregs or cups of Clearwine creating original characters with some inspiration by the Midkemia Press publications, and possibly their city population tool aka RuneQuest Cities. The results of using that tool are your own work once you attach some detail.

The Midkemia product has a few rather non-Gloranthan institutions that will benefit from re-inventing.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

We have a detailed Gloranthian map of Karse and the old Carse map from Midkemia. I'll use Kase as Karse and find some other place to pop in Carse. We already have GoldGotti and the Red Savant in Karse somewhere so its already getting character separate from that of the Midkemia Carse.

image.png.a97a8d390879374fa604e331b3846944.png

They actually do look similar in some ways: a bastion in the southern part of the city, a few blocks split by major thoroughfares, etc. Cool!

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 1/30/2022 at 7:10 PM, jajagappa said:

Here's the color version of Karse - part of the Heortland material, copyright 2021 Harald Smith and Chaosium.

Karse-closeview.JPG

Since, as you wrote. Karse is very troll  friendly by necessity,

Would that extend to having an Argan Argar shrine?  Any other Uz cults?  Any significant population or do they just visit?

3 hours ago, AlHazred said:

They actually do look similar in some ways: a bastion in the southern part of the city, a few blocks split by major thoroughfares, etc. Cool!

Not by any intent. Jeff and I did not look at/review the Carse book when mapping out Karse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Would that extend to having an Argan Argar shrine?  Any other Uz cults?  Any significant population or do they just visit?

I don't know that there is any AA shrine, but not inconceivable.  I would not anticipate any other Uz cults though.  

More likely the troll trade goes from the Troll Wood to the Shadow Plateau (along the Tarpit Trail - as noted on the Thunderbreath restaurant guide), and then it's just a short distance on to Nochet where there's a signficant AA temple as well as the Market of Night and Day.

• Thanks 1