Bows, elves and strikes ranks

SevenSistersOfVinga

The roll20 page shows that if my elf (dex 19+) uses Coordination, she gets to fire at sr 1/5/9, and adding mobility  at 1/4/7/10.

Looks like the +5 sr to load are affected by the spells. Is that correct?

I love the idea of firing 4 arrows each melee round but it feels wrong, I haven't found this on the rule book, the q&a or here.

Thanks! 😊

• Like 1

As far as I know, the number between the arrows after the first shot is always 5 for prep... The first arrow is either 5 plus DEX SR or DEX SR if prepared although nothing happens prior to SR 1).

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

When a similar query came up on FB, I suggested it is helpful to always think of DEX SR as "DEX SR modifier", SIZ SR as "SIZ SR modifier" and so on, to distinguish them clearly from Strike Ranks, which are determined by adding together SR modifiers and action SR "costs", but are not the same thing.

What does it mean, for example, that Mobility "reduces their strike rank by 1"? In the bow/reloading example above, does that mean it changes the Strike Rank for an action by -1? Or that it reduces the combined DEX+SIZ SR modifiers by 1 (if so, what if they are already zero)? Or that it reduces the SR "cost" for the reload action by 1? These each may have a different result, depending on what actions are being attempted.

For example, someone with a DEX SR modifier of 0 and a prepared arrow normally fires on SR 1, 6, and 11. Do they fire on 1, 5, and 9 if they use Mobility?

Also for example, if the same character with an unprepared arrow normally fires on SR5 and 10, do they fire on SR4, 8 and 12 if they use Mobility?

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

59 minutes ago, Brian Duguid said:

What does it mean, for example, that Mobility "reduces their strike rank by 1"? In the bow/reloading example above, does that mean it changes the Strike Rank for an action by -1? Or that it reduces the combined DEX+SIZ SR modifiers by 1 (if so, what if they are already zero)? Or that it reduces the SR "cost" for the reload action by 1? These each may have a different result, depending on what actions are being attempted.

To clarify "and reduces their strike rank by 1". So DEX SR4 will become DEX SR3, moving them up the table one step.

For example, someone with a DEX SR modifier of 0 and a prepared arrow normally fires on SR 1, 6, and 11. Do they fire on 1, 5, and 9 if they use Mobility?

At DEX SR 0, the only benefit of Mobility is double movement. Like with Strength, which if your STR+SIZ is over 40 has no other effect other than increasing your STR by 8. Spirit magic has limits.

Also for example, if the same character with an unprepared arrow normally fires on SR5 and 10, do they fire on SR4, 8 and 12 if they use Mobility?

No. GMs are always free to rule otherwise in their games, but an adventurer with a DEX SR is already at an advantage, if you want them to have a further advantage then do so.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Thanks @Scotty, and I completely agree that's how I'd interpret it - to avoid giving excessive advantages to characters with a DEX SR modifier of 0. But it's not 100% clear from the spell description that this is how it's intended to be read, because of the use of the term "strike rank" to mean two different things in the game. This is perfectly illustrated:

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

To clarify "and reduces their strike rank by 1". So DEX SR4 will become DEX SR3, moving them up the table one step.

But it doesn't say anything about DEX SR, it says "their strike rank", which can be read as allowing a reduction to the actual SR an action occurs on e.g. DEX SR 0, unprepared bow, normally fires on SR5, which becomes SR4 if the Mobility spell description is read in a different way. I think the word "their" is being asked to do way too much work 🙂. A relatively simple clarification (for people like me who evidently read far too much into this) would be "and reduces their DEX strike rank by 1, but not below 0".

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

18 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

A relatively simple clarification (for people like me who evidently read far too much into this) would be "and reduces their DEX strike rank by 1, but not below 0".

yes and no

with using strike rank, you have your issue, for sure I understand.

with using "DEX strike rank", you (or other) may have another issue: "does mobility reduce melee strike rank or only DEX strike rank ?"

you may say, "in this case, use weapon strike rank (melee or missile)" but weapon strike rank is "Each weapon has its own strike rank listed in the melee or missile weapon tables in the Combat chapter"

maybe change the sentence by "mobility reduces any -physical- action's SR by 1 but not below 0" 😛

well I m not the most qualified to give the best wording, however

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

maybe change the sentence by "mobility reduces any -physical- action's SR by 1 but not below 0" 😛

So long as you don't treat "reload my bow" as a physical action, because that stay at 5 SR even with Mobility.

• Like 1

--

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

with using "DEX strike rank", you (or other) may have another issue: "does mobility reduce melee strike rank or only DEX strike rank ?"

you may say, "in this case, use weapon strike rank (melee or missile)" but weapon strike rank is "Each weapon has its own strike rank listed in the melee or missile weapon tables in the Combat chapter"

This is why I prefer "DEX SR modifier". Weapon SR is never reduced. Melee SR is normally Weapon SR + DEX SR modifier + SIZ SR modifier. Saying that the "DEX SR modifier" is reduced by 1 except not below 0 then covers both melee and missile attacks.

--

1 hour ago, Brian Duguid said:

This is why I prefer "DEX SR modifier". Weapon SR is never reduced. Melee SR is normally Weapon SR + DEX SR modifier + SIZ SR modifier. Saying that the "DEX SR modifier" is reduced by 1 except not below 0 then covers both melee and missile attacks.

ahah you add "modifier" in your rule !

I agree with you with this last modification 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

I never did understand why they took that handy word out of SRs.... I like DEX SR Mods, etc...

• Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 2:45 AM, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Wizard of Oz reference aside, I seem to remember that a human with 21 Dex could fire a bow 2 then 3 then 2 then 3 times a round, as long as Melee Rounds were seamless [as they should be]. 

See table above

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

42 minutes ago, Manimati said:

Careful examination of the table above also reveals that in some cases, after all the shooting, there are some strike ranks left for other actions, like spell casting, for example.

Perhaps not, did you recall adding 5 SRs for spell prep. I believe a multimissile or a speeddart focus can be carved into the bow alleviating the need for the 5 SR prep/change hand time, but the rules are a little hazy on that. It also says shields and swords can can have foci and that time will be saved as a result. Still a bit hazy, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1