Runequest 2e/Classic Question

Megalodonjuan

Hi. I am interested in running Runequest 2e and have been reading the rules. I came across something today I cannot figure out. When you look at the chart for skills, (attributes per Runequest? I’m an AD&D 1e guy) say attacking, there are numbers from 1-20 that denote your percentage increase or decrease based on your characteristic stats. At first I was confused by the 1-20 until I read the optional rules for the point buy character creation. Seems like this chart was streamlined for that? (As in normal creation is 3D6, allowing possible scores only from 3-18, and the optional rule allowing you to roll a D20) Also, my real question...on that same chart at the end it reads “each +4” does this mean that if during the optional point buy for character creation, if you add four or more points to each of these particular characteristics, you get the percentage bonus listed? I looked all through the book for a clear explanation. Same question goes for body part h.p. table. I thought I had figured out that all these tables with “each + x” were based on the point buy, but the h.p. body part location table throws my theory away. That table has the same 1-20 chart for characteristics roll and the each +4  but having a point buy for this table does not make sense to me. So I must have totally interpreted all this wrong. Does anyone know what I am missing? Thanks for any help.

Can you give some page references for the chart you are referencing and I assume you are using our Reprint of RQ2 - RuneQuest Classic.

I assume you mean this:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 13.06.50.png

These are used to create the bonuses for every weapon, you put them here on the character sheet

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 13.09.20.png

So if your stats are

STR 14, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 15, POW 8, CHA 12

You get:

• no bonus for STR 14 as it falls in 13-16 range(no bonus)
  • +05% for INT 15 as it falls in 13-16 range (+05%)
  • no bonus for POW 8 as it falls in 05-08 range (no bonus)
  • +10% for DEX 18 as it falls in 17-20 range (+10%)

This gives a total Attack Bonus of +15%, write that on your sheet. Each category works the bonus out this way.

When you attack with your sword you add the Attack Bonus to your sword skill. Likewise When you parry with your shield you add the Parry Bonus to your shield skill.

• Helpful 1

Been trying to understand it cuz I just learned you all sell a bunch of the classic material and I wanted see if I could understand it before I spent a lot of money. So page 9 that begins with “attacking” those charts and all the following charts have “each +4” and for the damage dice chart “each +8.” Then on page 17 under Humanoid  Hit Points Per Location Table it has “each +3.” Again this appears to be the original print. Maybe it was updated when Chaosium re-released 2e but I don’t own it yet. I plan to buy pretty much everything once I am comfortable than I can understand the game. I’m new to ttrpgs and this one is intimidating. I almost know I am overlooking something incredibly simple. Thanks for your time!

Just now, Megalodonjuan said:

Ah, your chart in the previous message just popped up. So yea that is the correct page, I understand the main bonuses. I don’t understand what “each +4” means. I know it is something simple of something I missed. I’m just not getting it.

So if you have STR 25 (some monsters have high STR), the table only goes up to STR 20:

+4 is four steps, So

STR 21 to 24 (4 steps) you get +10%

SR 25 to 28 (4 steps) you get +15%

So STR 25 gets +15%

The tables are only designed to cover human ranges as its in character creation. The +4s are usually only need for monsters.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I mean I really want the classic material. I have read the quickstart rules for the latest edition and honestly it was too much. But I really like what I have learned about Glorantha, so when I realized you are selling the classic I tried to see if it was easier. So far I am liking it (but out of respect won’t be learning much more until I buy a copy) but that one issue I have mentioned is making me feel insane. I have considered buying all the new Glorantha material but only once I am sure I can understand it. I want to start with the classic and build from there. Anyway, thanks for your time. Hopefully I can figure out this characteristics issue.

Welcome to the tribe, Megalodonjuan! We’re here to help with any questions: keep them coming. Lots of us played way too much RQ2 (Classic) back in the day, and the new edition is intentionally very backwards-compatible.

3 hours ago, Megalodonjuan said:

Ah, your chart in the previous message just popped up. So yea that is the correct page, I understand the main bonuses. I don’t understand what “each +4” means. I know it is something simple of something I missed. I’m just not getting it.

For a human, the "each +4" likely has no effect -- the rolled max attributes are 3D6 (3..18 -- unless you purloin the later editions 2D6+6 for SIZ and INT getting 8..18). The MAXIMUM (with training or other forms of improvement) is "max roll + #dice" so (since 2D6+6 counts as 3 dice) humans top out at 21 -- but can not be rolled at those levels.

The tables you are referencing are used for ALL entities. If you have a giant of STR 32, then the "each +4" means each 4 points above "20" (in the referenced table above).

STR 17..20 => +5%
STR 21..24 => +5% + 5% (+10%)
STR 25..28 => +5% + 5% + 5% (+15%)
STR 29..32 => +5% + 5% + 5% + 5% (+20%)

If you are buying them from DriveThru RPG, they're on sale until Mar 13.

Instead of just buying the whole bunch of them, you might want to just start with the RQ Second Edition book, and the Apple Lane adventure. That's the classic starter adventure. The 2ed had a quite a few improvements over the 1ed (In My Opinion, anyway).

Or if you do buy a lot, just read those two first. 🙂

And there are even a few of is around who still run classic RQ who would be happy to answer questions. I personally run 1st edition, but I understand where and how RQ2 and RQ1 differ.

And good suggestion to look at the rule book and Apple Lane. I'd also add Cults of Prax which mechanizes more of the Gloranthan culture in the form of a good set of cults. And Cults of Terror if you want to make some of the nastier foes more than just a set of combat stats...

I would also add that any of the new RQG scenarios should be pretty easy to use with RQ2 though you may have to wing a few numbers (does RQG have "Defense"?) and you may find the opponents a bit tough for a starting RQ2 character, even if you use the previous experience from the appendix.

7 hours ago, Megalodonjuan said:

I have read the quickstart rules for the latest edition and honestly it was too much.

If it helps, the Starter Set is currently the best entry point into RuneQuest and, as an additional bonus, the rules are freely available here:

https://rqwiki.chaosium.com/rules/.

Now the Starter Set do not include character generation but it does include 14 fully detailed pre-generated characters, a solo adventure to help you learn the rules and scenarios to get you starter with your group.

The wiki does include a quick character generation system.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, ffilz said:

And good suggestion to look at the rule book and Apple Lane. I'd also add Cults of Prax which mechanizes more of the Gloranthan culture in the form of a good set of cults. And Cults of Terror if you want to make some of the nastier foes more than just a set of combat stats...

If you're doing that, you might as well just buy the RQ Classics Cult Compendium. It has both of those, plus some misc stuff from other sources.

The RQ Classics compilations are all pretty good values, IMO.

24 minutes ago, brionl said:

If you're doing that, you might as well just buy the RQ Classics Cult Compendium. It has both of those, plus some misc stuff from other sources.

The RQ Classics compilations are all pretty good values, IMO.

It may seem nit-picky, but it's a significant difference -- you're referring to the "Glorantha Classics" line:   https://www.chaosium.com/glorantha-classics/

The "RQ Classics" are actually the older/original ones (returned to print via Kickstarter):  https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-classic-pdfs/  (from which the "Glorantha Classics" were assembled).

Edited by g33k
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

If you just want PDF, yes, the Gloranthan Classics Volume III: Cult Compendium is a good buy. It has all the official cults published for RQ2 plus a couple from RQ3.

If you want print, you need to go with Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror.