Does Path Watch work at sea?

Godlearner

Interesting thread.  Don't know if it helps or not, but during a conversation with Steve Perrin (at an Origins convention long ago) about the fabled Troll Bridge, he specifically stated that Path Watch created a sphere of magic.  The example he discussed was a merchant who was capable of flight. 

Thanks for taking the time to answer my stupid questions, Steve.  Wish you were still here.

• Like 3

Path Watch obviously works in a sphere.  Otherwise it is stupid and useless.

As for Path Watch working at sea, modern ferry boats take a very clearly defined path almost all the time.  Strong winds, seas, or very low tides being exceptions.  Of course, they have motors and GPS.

Square rigged ships plied the Trade Winds, also taking pretty clear routes back and forth between Europe and the Americas.  They might even wait until the proper season.

Is this relevant?  I have no idea...  🙂

15 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

Nice effect, but post Dragonrise and Boat Planet return, no more Closing...

If that were true then there would be no more reason for the Dormal Cult to cast their Open Seas Ritual, and the cult would likely fold inside a decade.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

If that were true then there would be no more reason for the Dormal Cult to cast their Open Seas Ritual, and the cult would likely fold inside a decade.

No, no, no. Just because there is no more Closing, does not mean that the Open Seas Ritual is not needed. Think about it, who would want to test their ship on such a thing when performing the ritual covers you anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godlearner said:

No, no, no. Just because there is no more Closing, does not mean that the Open Seas Ritual is not needed. Think about it, who would want to test their ship on such a thing when performing the ritual covers you anyway. 

The situation you are describing... That's called superstition. Path Watch, if used in the way you suggested earlier, would literally show whether or not there was a great hostile spell on the sea and thus put the Dormal cult out of business by proving that there was no Closing anymore... Or perhaps the Closing didn't end with the rise of the Boat Planet, it was just bypassed more effectively?  You are playing fast and loose with cult ecology here GL.

Edited by Darius West

On 4/8/2022 at 12:02 PM, jajagappa said:

'd allow it, but perhaps make a penalty on the casting attempt (or have to overcome some natural resistance from Water).  The other question is whether the radius extends downward??

The alternative to 'Yes, it extends downward' is to allow Krarsht to bypass Path Watch if they set their ambush well. 

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

That's called superstition. Path Watch, if used in the way you suggested earlier, would literally show whether or not there was a great hostile spell on the sea and thus put the Dormal cult out of business by proving that there was no Closing anymore...

I would disagree. The Curse is not the hostile, it is what is summoned by it which is. Path Watch would not to the Closing Curse (at least in my opinion) 

On 4/10/2022 at 6:38 AM, g33k said:

"That is not dead which can eternal lie..." ... uhhh ... 
Oh, wait.  Wrong setting, wrong quote.  Sorry!

You know how the saying goes... If its brp compatible you can kill it 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by icebrand

"It seems I'm destined not to move ahead in time faster than my usual rate of one second per second"

On 4/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, Darius West said:
On 4/9/2022 at 3:06 PM, Godlearner said:

Not at all. Being aware of danger, does not mean you can avoid it or survive it. Here comes a monster wave. Its 100 meters away .... Start praying.

Okay, the minute you turn on Path Watch, the whole ocean lights up as an inimical threat to your existence because of the Closing.

Not if you cast Open Seas first, or if the Boat Planet has risen.

I have come across GMs with this kind of attitude and it is so frustrating.

Edited by soltakss
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 hours ago, Darius West said:
On 4/11/2022 at 7:44 PM, 7Tigers said:

Nice effect, but post Dragonrise and Boat Planet return, no more Closing...

Probably, yes.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Godlearner said:

there are no real reasons not to follow Dormal.

One can make a good case that the Boat Planet is either Dormal himself (as god) or Dormal's ship (with Dormal as the captain/helmsman), and that those who pray to the Boat Planet get some benefit.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:13 AM, Godlearner said:

I would disagree. The Curse is not the hostile, it is what is summoned by it which is. Path Watch would not to the Closing Curse (at least in my opinion) 

The God Learners were aware the curse existed but never knew what form it would take, and that is why they could never form effective brute force countermeasures.  To say a curse isn't hostile is like insisting a lethal tumor is benign.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:15 AM, Godlearner said:

Hmm, sailor and superstition ...... its like bread and butter, ice cream and apple pie, military and marching music.

Agreed, but the thing about superstition is that someone always proves it is BS and everyone feels foolish except for the ultra conservative who promptly turn it into dogma and/or call it a tradition rather than admit their mistake.  Either there is or isn't a curse, and it only requires a divination spell to find out.

23 hours ago, soltakss said:

Not of you cast Open Seas first, or if the Boat Planet has risen.

I have come across GMs with this kind of attitude and it is so frustrating.

Yes, the Closing is in abeyance if the boat planet is risen. Do you know what part of its cycle it is in now?  Check Celestial Lore.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:35 PM, Godlearner said:

The Closing is still in effect, it is just punctuated by the rising of the Boat Planet.

< full Godlearner mode>

Here is what is happening (IMO). There "trade routes", there are areas of "open oceans", and there are areas of "high risk ocean". I like to think of these are different tables for random encounters with the frequency of encounters and their danger differing based on each one of these. So, the frequency of an encounter higher on the "trade routes", but the danger level would be the highest on the "high risk ocean"

Pre-Closing: The rates are as defined, and Path Watch works on the "trade routes" within the spell limitations

Closing: The Curse in effect makes each voyage on the "high risk ocean" and increases the chances on an encounter occurring to 100%. Path Watch stops working because there are no longer any "trade routes" as everything is now "high risk ocean"

Open Seas: Dormal ceremony temporarily and locally counters the Curse, and Path Watch works on the "trade routes" within the spell limitations

Boat Planet returns: The Curse ends or dispelled, or whatever. It's no longer there. We are basically in the Pre-Closing situation. Open Seas may no longer be necessary or may still function in certain cases against any remnants of the Curse if it's still there somewhere, and Path Watch works on the "trade routes" within the spell limitations.

</ full Godlearner mode>

• Like 2