Looking to join an online RQ Glorantha adventures series or campaign

MrHemlocks

I was seriously thinking about buying the RQ rules and Glorantha complete set. I really want to run RQ with my old group, around the table, CoC players. But before that can happen I like to play the game numerous times to get use to rules and Glorantha. 

So, are there any online games to join? Either one shots or a campaign. Willing to commit to a long term campaign if anyone running one.

Edited by MrHemlocks
Spelling

What time zones are you in?

• Helpful 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

@MrHemlocks If you want to get the basics sorted maybe try the free online solo adventure. You do not need a physical copy of the Starter Set, but it should give you a good idea of the game mechanics (Two thumbs up in my book), and a taste of the setting. You can make your own setting though.......

I'll put a link to the thread with the solo adventure.......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this thread. I have 3-4 players ready to start playing RQ:G online, UK time zone, weekday evening to be decided. I'd like 1-2 more, to make it easier to deal with drop-outs or unavailability. Likely to be run via Discord, probably starting with pre-gens and one or two of the Starter Set adventures as a "taster" before seeing what people would like to do beyond that.

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:28 PM, Brian Duguid said:

Reviving this thread. I have 3-4 players ready to start playing RQ:G online, UK time zone, weekday evening to be decided...

I humbly submit my request to be considered for your gaming group.

I'm an old git (past 50!) and familiar with RQ and - but I haven't played any RPG's for... a long time. 

I have read pretty much everything for RQG (except the Starter Set) so you might prefer players that would interfere less with your future scenario plans. (Or just players who are less old and gitty.)

On 8/15/2022 at 9:28 PM, Brian Duguid said:

Reviving this thread. I have 3-4 players ready to start playing RQ:G online, UK time zone, weekday evening to be decided. I'd like 1-2 more, to make it easier to deal with drop-outs or unavailability. Likely to be run via Discord, probably starting with pre-gens and one or two of the Starter Set adventures as a "taster" before seeing what people would like to do beyond that.

Depending on the day I’d be interested if you would consider my interest. What sort of length of game did you have in mind? Open-ended, or a fixed period of x months?

I understand the concerns but from my perspective it is win. Too many virtual games fall apart once a GM realizes how much work they have committed to. I prefer campaigns rather than short games, and by paying the GM I have a much higher confidence that the game will run as long as I like. My wife and I are in a Masks of Nyarlathotep game that we would never have committed to if we didn't think that the GM would last.

I was also in a RQG game of Six Seasons - that one did end due to several players having life changes - the GM found a slot for me in another of his games.

I could go to the pub and spend 4 hours reminiscing over games I once played while spending a lot more than $20 on beer. Or I can enjoy more gaming with the bonus of doing it as parallel play with my wife on Saturday afternoon.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

Note - although I prefer long term games I am super excited to have our tickets in hand for Chaosium Con 2023. Attending that last year with my wife was the foot in the door to the return to gaming 🙂

Bill

• Like 1

My UK co-GM and myself (PA, USA), run a currently 2-person game most Saturday afternoons. Timing is normally 18:30 - 00:00 UK time (so right now 13:30-19:00 EDT for me). We could certainly do with more player (and GM) input. During the summer months the schedule is a bit hit-and-miss due to family commitments and the general Con circuit chaos. We occasionally take a break for some early 20th Century pulp (but not a lot of horror) action (Initially was Justice Inc, but we're migrating to CoC).

We're a mix of technology phobes and philes, so we're running using Skype / voice-only. I am considering starting to upload campaign histories to my youtube since my memory is no longer what it once was.

It's a RQ2-ish campaign (runes/passions have been transplanted over from AiG, in-close combat rules from Rolemaster, etc) that I originally started in the late 80's, and restarted in the aughts. For reasons of YGWV I decided to start in 1702. It's now 1716. At the moment we have a couple of Colymar parties, a Sartar Humakti group, a Yelmalio group based out of Holay, a group around the leadership of a clan in Elk Vale, and a Hero group that's the leadership of Imther. An early campaign diary of sorts can be found online

Edited by RQStaffan
Add tech

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 3:48 AM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Just my personal taste as a GM - charging money would make it feel like work.  As it is GMing Runequest is something I wanted to do for more than 30 years, and although it may take work,  it's not work.  

My son was a quite talented pianist.  He decided not to "get serious" (pursue it professionally) because he wanted to keep doing it ONLY for the pleasure of it, not have it linked to his paycheck (and thus the need for food/housing/etc).

I've got a friend who I've gamed with for 20 years.  He's one of the longest-running GM's at StartPlaying, and he really enjoys that.  He's consistently making over $1K per month (plus gets to write off a bunch of computer/internet expenses, and even RPG purchases!)... but possibly his biggest joy is the metaphorical "thumb in the eye" to people who told teenage-him "You'll never make any money doing that stupid game!"

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Cassius said:

You can pay to play RPGs as a player (20$) !? 😲

Rates at StartPlaying vary; it's up to the GM.

I have seen as low as $5/person/session.  I have heard of (but not seen) prices up to $40/person/session.

Some GM's bring a lot to the table... evocative theme music, a dedicated background & costume, etc.  Lots of extra content.  Personal skills (acting, different voices/accents), game-systems-mastery, etc.

I cannot (personally) envision paying $40/session... not even if Matt Mercer was running!
But when I look at the hours-invested and what they provide, I cannot honestly say these high-end pro GMs are "overcharging"

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Rates at StartPlaying vary; it's up to the GM.

I have seen as low as $5/person/session.  I have heard of (but not seen) prices up to $40/person/session.

Some GM's bring a lot to the table... evocative theme music, a dedicated background & costume, etc.  Lots of extra content.  Personal skills (acting, different voices/accents), game-systems-mastery, etc.

I cannot (personally) envision paying $40/session... not even if Matt Mercer was running!
But when I look at the hours-invested and what they provide, I cannot honestly say these high-end pro GMs are "overcharging"

Maybe I'm just a geezer, but the idea of charging money to ref a game is... almost offensive... to me. I've NEVER paid a ref, I can't imagine a scenario where I would pay a ref, and the only thing I ask as a ref is my fair share of the pizza we buy. I dunno, maybe it's because I've never been in pay for play game or maybe it's because the expectation for a game referee has always been that you're supposed to be able to have a job AND your hobby.

And that is the real sticking point for me: THIS IS A HOBBY, NOT A JOB. Charging someone for the privilege of having a game with someone who has a personality and can do voices isn't what this hobby is about. You wanna be a voice actor, go do that, but don't expect me to pay you for that while you interpret work somebody else wrote in a milieu a third guy imagined.

AFAIC, paying a referee for a role playing game is like paying somebody to sing on a karaoke machine.

6 hours ago, svensson said:

Maybe I'm just a geezer, but the idea of charging money to ref a game is... almost offensive... to me. I've NEVER paid a ref, I can't imagine a scenario where I would pay a ref, and the only thing I ask as a ref is my fair share of the pizza we buy. I dunno, maybe it's because I've never been in pay for play game or maybe it's because the expectation for a game referee has always been that you're supposed to be able to have a job AND your hobby.

And that is the real sticking point for me: THIS IS A HOBBY, NOT A JOB. Charging someone for the privilege of having a game with someone who has a personality and can do voices isn't what this hobby is about. You wanna be a voice actor, go do that, but don't expect me to pay you for that while you interpret work somebody else wrote in a milieu a third guy imagined.

AFAIC, paying a referee for a role playing game is like paying somebody to sing on a karaoke machine.

But ... what if it's NOT a hobby?  Are you saying -- if there are people who have the capacity to provide "GM'ing as a service" and others with cash & desire to purchase that service -- that you are the arbiter of whether this is right or wrong???  Because honestly, that looks like what you are saying.  And I'm pretty sure (based on other remarks you've made here) that you don't mean to be saying that.

I'm a "hobbyist" photographer.  There's also pro photographers.  I've probably got the craftsmanship & artistic chops to go pro (I don't really have the temperament, though).

My eldest is a scuba-diver.  She's has further certified as a "scientific diver" (and done technical dives where the cert was mandated) and is almost complete with her Divemaster cert... at which point, she is 1 hire away from being a "professional scuba diver."  She already works in a dive-shop which offers scuba-classes, so in fact... she'll be a "pro" as soon as the cert's done & she begins (if you'll pardon the expression) DM'ing for them.  😉

(In my f2f gaming, the "host" (the person whose living-room we gamed-in) was most-often the GM.  When pizza was being bought, the most-common assumption I met (across a dozen or so groups over 40some years) was that the GM didn't have to chip-in to buy the pizza/soda/etc... it was well-understood that the GM was "doing more" than the players, and most of us felt that the players "covering the GM's costs" was only fair.)

Plenty of gamers, over the pandemic, had *no* gaming.  Online gaming began to step in to fill that, but usually GM's needed an extra level of (paid) service from the online accounts -- the "premium" and "pro" services that allowed more connections for longer times (lookin' at you, Zoom!) and extra storage, &c.  D&D Beyond, Roll20, etc... free levels are OK(ish) for *players* but they co$t the GM-types...

And then there's Critical Role.  It's some role-playing geeks who're pro voice-actors; their streamed RPG sessions went viral and now they make more $$$ from Critical Role than most of their "real jobs."

Also, frankly, I've got to point toward the existing stewards of RQ & Glorantha -- "nuChaosium" (used here respectfully, tho I understand some people use it as a criticism) were "just gamers" before they began doing it... errr... professionally.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

20 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm a "hobbyist" photographer.  There's also pro photographers.  I've probably got the craftsmanship & artistic chops to go pro (I don't really have the temperament, though).

I haven't been as active as I was 20-30 years ago, but I can feel your condition. At one of the niece's weddings, I actually had a higher grade camera and flashes than the "hired photographer" (EOS 40D, the "prosumer" level, pro models have single digits; the hired photographer was using an EOS Rebel, low-end consumer camera). I think the family used my prints (assuming they finally received the "pro" prints -- I believe there was at least a long delay before the hired photographer actually produced even proofs).

15 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

... the hired photographer was using an EOS Rebel, low-end consumer camera) ... 

Honestly, the glass matters much more than the body, most of the time; and of course the 'tog themselves -- their technical skill with the gear & artistic "eye" -- matter most of all.

If the pro shooter had nice "L" glass (or similar) there's no reason a 3-gen-old entry-level camera couldn't deliver a beautiful wedding-shoot.

15 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

... I believe there was at least a long delay before the hired photographer actually produced even proofs.

Yeah, this is one of the aforementioned "tempermental" barriers to my going pro.  I'm not particularly good at the "digital darkroom" post-production, I kinda dislike doing it, and I do it
v e r y 
 s l o o  o    o     w        l              y

(but this has gotten totally off-topic to the OP -- apologies all!  I'm on camera-forums where I can talk 'tog ...)

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig