Interesting "Historical" Games in Glorantha

Gallowglass

If you could set a game in Glorantha in any time period, even before time begins, where would you set it and why? As an example, King of Dragon Pass is set during the resettling of Dragon Pass (1300's I believe). It's an overwhelming thing to contemplate, but over the years I've fixated on a few ideas- 

1. Peloria during the coming of the Red Goddess (the Zero Wane) - I think it would be really interesting to play members of her growing cult as they take on the Carmanians. Players could participate in all the big battles, and go on missions for the Goddess and the 7 Mothers. At the climax of the campaign, they can join her on the Red Moon as immortals! 
  2. Prax/the Wastelands during the period of exile - By "period of exile" I mean after Pavis defeats the Praxians and Waha at the Too Tall Battle, and the animal nomads are driven into the Wastelands. This could be a multi-generational campaign about eventually returning to Prax with Jaldon to retake it. The PC's could help Jaldon in his quests, or one of them could even be Jaldon!
  3. Syranthir's March - This would be about the founding of Carmania, the war against the Spolites, etc. I forget when this happens but I think it's when the God Learners take over Loskalm, so... 700's I think? The PC's could be members of Syranthir's 10,000, and help fight the Darkness and create a new kingdom. 

• Like 1

What type of game?  That makes a difference. 

A strategic to operational level board game?  The Holy Country campaigns of and against the Lunars, on both sides of Chloralinthor Bay.  Why? It is both well known among Gloranthaphiles, there is enough Chaisium and fan material to flesh it out,  and also does not duplicate the previous Sartar centered material.

An individual to clan level electronic game like KODP?  Prax for sure.  There is a lot of game potential in nomadism.  The mechanics would be different from KODP, movement and map location would mean something.  And the place is well known enough to get plenty of players.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

What type of game?  That makes a difference.

I was thinking roleplaying game, but a KoDP style experience would be neat. I secretly hope David Dunham will one day release a “Glorantha game maker” engine where we could make our own games, kinda like with Twine.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2022 at 10:52 AM, Gallowglass said:

If you could set a game in Glorantha in any time period, even before time begins, where would you set it and why?

Peloria/DH in the 1270-1285 timeframe.  The era of Jannisor and the DH Revolt against the Red Goddess.  Once worked with some others on a LARP set in this period (never developed too far though).  Barbarians at the gate to the Moon!  Treachery and betrayal by the Sable Riders.  The last great attempt by the DH to throw off the yoke of the Red Emperor.  Having written quite a few Jannisor stories, it's one of my favored time periods.

Saird in the 920-960 timeframe.  Alakoring Dragonbreaker; the Three Brothers who Divided the World; the fall of the EWF.  I liked the Dara Happa Stirs work that was set at the start of this period, plus I did a lot of work with Greg on the Verenmars Saga.

I'd love to do a game in Vormain and vicinity at the start of the Hero Wars.  I mapped out a campaign arc for that quite a while ago, and I think it would be a fun setting to explore and expand on vs. the demon hordes emerging.  

Note: what I am running right now:  the Colymar in the Hero Wars (currently late 1626), Heortland vs. the Scorpion Queen (late 1625), and, after 25 years away, have just started a new face-to-face Imther Campaign on the eve of the Hero Wars.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 4

On 12/10/2022 at 2:52 AM, Gallowglass said:

If you could set a game in Glorantha in any time period, even before time begins, where would you set it and why? As an example, King of Dragon Pass is set during the resettling of Dragon Pass (1300's I believe). It's an overwhelming thing to contemplate, but over the years I've fixated on a few ideas- 

1. The fall of Pavis (either for the Pavis survivors or the Praxians under Jaldon, perhaps even for Trolls?)

2.  Arkat's Campaign.  (Or at least one portion of it, before Arkat jettisons them for a new fighting force)

3.  The last years of Tarsh (Can the player characters  change history?)

4.  Balazar goes into the Elder Wilds. (A Yelmalio campaign)

5.  The Rise of Carmania

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, jajagappa said:

Saird in the 920-960 timeframe.  Alakoring Dragonbreaker; the Three Brothers who Divided the World; the fall of the EWF.  I liked the Dara Happa Stirs work that was set at the start of this period, plus I did a lot of work with Greg on the Verenmars Saga.

Dara Happa stirs was good stuff!

On 12/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, Ali the Helering said:

The Seleric Wars.  A decades long campaign against empires of dragon-lovers and chaos sympathisers by a great liberator.

...who especially likes to liberate land from the oppression of farmers and also thinks torture is good for you.