What settings would you like to see published ?

Agentorange

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered about the possibility of a truly "Oz"-like campaign. Doing something along the lines of Abadazad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abadazad for the uninitiated) would be cool. Maybe someday I'll work it out.

"Wicked" was a good read, and it gave a really interesting look at the cultures and peoples of Oz, along with some interesting social aspects.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I'd like to see a BRP Gamma World done.

Ooooh... yesssss... I'd like that...

I'm hoping the Deadlands book lends itself to some good post apocalypse gaming... but something chock-full of weirdness like Gamma World would be welcome too.

The first game I ever GMed was AD&D... for one session... but Gamma World was the first long term campaign I ever pulled off and it was tons of demented fun.

My first exposure to RPGs was with a hybrid 1st/2nd edition Gamma World campaign. It holds a serious nostalgia factor for me. I would like to see the Overlord of Bonparr campaign (4th edition) translated into BRP. I just love anthropomorphic humanoids that are bi-pedal and bi-manual.

BRP Ze 32/420

I'm not so much for the anthropomorphics in that sorta setting... though I loved me some Albedo.

We did have a lot of 'beastmen' though... dogmen, antmen, ratmen...

Our Gamma World setup was a lot of Boy And His Dog and Richard Corben's Mutant World... the nature of the apocalypse was kinda vague too... there had been a nuclear war but other stuff happened too... kinda prefigured Rifts in a lotta ways... I know one guy gave me a book on ley lines and geomantic forces that eventually found it's way into the game.

Later on the aliens showed up...

I kind of like anthropomorphic (is that spelling right?:eek:) characters too. Fifth Cycle has a bunch...lets see...dogmen (gnashings), catmen (purrtier), fish guys, crab guys (those were fun), badger guys, bear guys, fly guys, lizard guys...it was ridiculous but fun. They were all created by the bad guys as specialized troops in the bad old days, in the somewhat abortive setting.

Yeah, that was one of the things that attracted me to purchase Fifth Cycle. Of course, there are mutated animals (the nation of Bonparr rocks!) from Gamma World. I liked the Wolfen and Bearmen from Palladium, Gnolls and Bugbears from D&D, Ferran from Talislanta, and the Broo from RuneQuest (as bad guys, of course!). The best of all for me are the Betas from Justifiers. I know there are many more games that have this concept, I just can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

Oh wait, didn't Warhammer have the Skaven, a ratman species?

Also, Legends of the Five Rings had the Ratlings.

Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures and Kara-Tur.

Lupins, Rakasta, and Tortles from the Red Steel campaign in Mystara.

Ok, come to think of it, it seems to be a fairly common theme in fantasy/sci-fi settings.:)

BRP Ze 32/420

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that was one of the things that attracted me to purchase Fifth Cycle. Of course, there are mutated animals (the nation of Bonparr rocks!) from Gamma World. I liked the Wolfen and Bearmen from Palladium, Gnolls and Bugbears from D&D, Ferran from Talislanta, and the Broo from RuneQuest (as bad guys, of course!). The best of all for me are the Betas from Justifiers. I know there are many more games that have this concept, I just can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

Ok, come to think of it, it seems to be a fairly common theme in fantasy/sci-fi settings.

Vargr & Aslan from traveller.

I would officially like it known that I am not a fan of anthropomorphism :-)

I just love anthropomorphic humanoids that are bi-pedal and bi-manual.

I'm not so much for the anthropomorphics in that sorta setting... though I loved me some Albedo.

I kind of like anthropomorphic (is that spelling right?:eek:) characters too.

I'm a huge fan of Usagi Yojimbo.

I ran a lot of the Gold Rush Games version of it, and despite the anthro aspect, my players all thought it was a blast. I didn't, however, enjoy the updated rules set from Sanguine... suddenly it became overcomplex and crunchy when the previous edition had been simple to run and quick to play. The players likened the rules switch to going from BRP to D&D.

I know there are many more games that have this concept, I just can't think of anymore off the top of my head.

Usagi Yojimbo (as noted above)

Jadeclaw

Ironclaw

Kzinti from Ringworld

Guest the Bromgrev

I've always had a hankering to run a 100-Years War fantasy game. I mean, armoured knights, gunpowder, warring princedoms, betrayal - throw in some witchcraft and folklore, and what hasn'tthat setting got?

Watching the entire series of Berserk (anime) back-to-back might be colouring my judgement. Now, where's my Flesh and Blood DVD ...

Ok, come to think of it, it seems to be a fairly common theme in fantasy/sci-fi settings.:)

I too think a BRP Gamma World would be great. Someone did it once, too. But I think the link is long gone.

I am seriously toying with the idea of doing a BRP "Metamorphosis Alpha" at some point.

Re: the anthropomorphs - dog- and cat-people figure in Gene Wolfe's "New Sun," books and are detailed in "GURPS New Sun," a great resource for a "Gamma World"-ish setting.

John Wyndham's "Chrysalids" is a great model for a "Gamma World" setting, too.

I've always had a hankering to run a 100-Years War fantasy game. I mean, armoured knights, gunpowder, warring princedoms, betrayal - throw in some witchcraft and folklore, and what hasn'tthat setting got?

Watching the entire series of Berserk (anime) back-to-back might be colouring my judgement. Now, where's my Flesh and Blood DVD ...

I like this concept as well. Flesh and Blood was a great movie.

BRP Ze 32/420

That's a EXCELLENT idea!

As long as it left out the bog-standard orks and dwarves in favor of their more folkloric relatives... and kept the magic/witchcraft to the same levels... it would really work for me. It's got a lot of the elements that had me wanting to do a Napoleonic version of the same... namely that collision between the old world and the new... the fading of kingdoms into countries, the weakening of nobility, the introduction of new technologies and ideas.

It has enough of the trappings of standard fantasy settings while also having all sorts of interesting departures.

Just this morning I was reading a bunch of old fairy tales and this seems to approximate the setting for many of them... a background of distant wars, knights with (and even a princess) with guns...

If someone published such thing I'd surely buy it, if only for the setting information.

Guest the Bromgrev

I think this would tie in well with the alternate earth settings which seem to be quite popular. I agree that this king of setting requires going back to the original folklore source material for the fantasy elements. The elements of widespread devastation, abandoned areas, dark things lurking at the edges (and in the holes within) civilisation, there is a lot which can be mined for RPG possibilities.

Of course, there's the Thirty Years War, too, with even more diversity. Decisions, decisions ...

It might be time to do some research, gather a team, and put a proposal before Chaosium.

One area I would not mind seeing is one based on Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom(Mars) books. I have always wanted to ride a thoat and rescue a Red Princess

Chaosium might also want to see about a tie in with some of smaller online games such as Eve, Ragnorak online, Swords of the New World, ect.. The big ones I know would turn their nose up at the company as small as Chaosium( Blizzard I bet spends more on coffee then the Chaosium entire budget) but some of the smaller ones might see a benefit to a cross over between an online game and a game publisher.

One area I would not mind seeing is one based on Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom(Mars) books. I have always wanted to ride a thoat and rescue a Red Princess

Chaosium might also want to see about a tie in with some of smaller online games such as Eve, Ragnorak online, Swords of the New World, ect.. The big ones I know would turn their nose up at the company as small as Chaosium( Blizzard I bet spends more on coffee then the Chaosium entire budget) but some of the smaller ones might see a benefit to a cross over between an online game and a game publisher.

would be interesting. Unfortunately CCP (the Eve company) bought some months ago White Wolf. If ever a rpg with eve background comes out then I fear this will be with a clone of the idiotic dice pool system of WW. I am not sure about other MMORPGs (because I dont know them)

BTW great remark about Blizzard and coffee. I take the liberty to integrate it into my collection if you dont mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that I just got an email back from Dustin asking me to send on a full outline and schedule for my first sourcebook for BRP. From there we move to contract.

Since it's not a rulebook, and is mostly source material, it should be pretty quick from outline to completion.

More information when it's approved and work has begun.

I'm happy to report that I just got an email back from Dustin asking me to send on a full outline and schedule for my first sourcebook for BRP. From there we move to contract.

Since it's not a rulebook, and is mostly source material, it should be pretty quick from outline to completion.

Woot!

SDLeary

Very good news, Jason. Congrats.:thumb:

Excellent news! Would this be the Hyborianesque Swords and Sorcery setting I think you mentioned earlier?