Ducks as Adventurers/Heroes?

Kevin Hasinger

I followed Runequest in its original form several decades ago, but have just gotten into RQG. My wife rarely showed interest in my D&D games over the years, but has been drawn to Glorantha for some reason (we all know why - it's fascinating and original). She desperately wants to play a Duck character, but based on what I've read that could be a real challenge in Dragon Pass. Would a Duck character even be allowed into most townships, etc. around Sartar, etc.? I imagine that speciesism would be a significant issue. However, I've noted that Ducks (occasionally) are accepted into tribes/clans, but that's a rarity. Any thoughts? I want to stay true to the setting but "happy wife = happy life". 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, metcalph said:

The Great Duck Hunt is over.   The people who oversaw it have been eaten in the Dragon rise. Ducks are no longer persecuted in Dragon Pass (although being laughed at is something else). 

So, in 1625 many Ducks come and go throughout Dragon Pass with only “some” discrimination? Just clarifying. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin Hasinger said:

So, in 1625 many Ducks come and go throughout Dragon Pass with only “some” discrimination? Just clarifying. 

The same discrimination that they had before the Duck Hunt when they were considered part of Sartarite society. 

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at the Apple Lane part of the GM screen pack you will note a duck living with humans.  It's not all that rare.  To be polite call them Durulz.

There is Durulz oriented material in Jonstown Compendiuom.The most important for your purposes is the recently published Duckpac, https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/401760/DuckPac--Book-1-Myths-Legends--Lore?affiliate_rem=1888122

whose 3rd book in a solo quest.  The first two books are one volume in hardcopy.  That would be ideal for your situation as it would really help your wife get into the duck character and will fill you in as a GM.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing; added link
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I also strongly reccommend Yozarian’s Bandit Ducks, an introductory adventure for duck characters:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/296285?affiliate_id=187051

In it, the all duck party can become heroes or rich people… if they play their cards right! You can read a review.

F4E2B53A-FA4A-457E-A496-898FAB2A2301.jpeg

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

13 hours ago, Kevin Hasinger said:

I want to stay true to the setting but "happy wife = happy life". 

let she be happy then 🙂

i disliked the concept of "ducks"  for a long time (probably because the only pictures I saw decades ago were "ridiculous duck like uncle donald playing with a mouse...")

However, reading and understanding how dramatic is the Durluz (hi)story I now see them differently

then:

if you want to stay "canon" (as I like to be) there is no issue to have a durluz adventurer :

- you may find some / few ducks "adopted" in any clan in Sartar. Just define a background explaining why he/she is here (refugee hidden from the hunt, or maybe the durluz has saved someone and is now adopted. You can add some antagonist in the clan if you want (of course some human dislikes ducks, and what a shame to have one claiming to be your clanmate !)

- you may find some ducks wandering in any clan in Sartar. With good or bad intent, as you want.

- you will find a lof of ducks in the ducks marshlands. With good or bad intent, as you want. The place is interesting if your wife wants someone with some undead business (humakt but not only, any background/passion 🙂 )

• Helpful 1

I strongly recommend picking up the first two DuckPac books from the Jonstown Compendium: either the combo print edition, or else the separate digital downloads. By Neil Gibson and Drew Baker, they are both highly-rated Electrum best-sellers (Book 1 has 17  ratings, Book 2 has 11). Book 1: Myths, Legends & Lore presents the mythos and history of the race of Ducks, while Book 2: Duck Adventurers gives you adventurer creation inc. family history, rules advice, and a home base on the edge of the Upland Marsh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We do have a duck character, and the main thing in our experience is to play it straight faced but  without pulling any punches, being always ready for spontaneous comedy. Sometimes it is the duckiness, sometimes it is the small size, sometimes it is just the player being fed up of people talking to the humans in the team (besides the two PCs they usually move with a teamster, a wagon driver and two guards, whose main role is to protect the mules and the wagon while the players worry about other things).

In the past I have had players that tried to play the comedy role as the main role, but it gets tiring very fast. I do forbid making weird voices just because you are a duck because it gets also hard unless you have a great voice mimicker. Understanding is better than a moment of easy laugh. But things like duck throwing (with low size and magically enhanced strength a duck can fly quite far) acrobatic leg tangling and headbutting the groin with an iron helmet will be usually funny.

• Helpful 1

8 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

... either the combo print edition, or else the separate digital downloads ... 

Other than being one print volume vs. 2 digital ones, is there any difference?

• Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Zit said:

there is a psychically disturbed albinos baabester-gori female durulz in our group, nobody laughs twice at her.

It's remarkable how rare it is for someone to laugh at Durulz twice.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Zit said:

there is a psychically disturbed albinos baabester-gori female durulz in our group, nobody laughs twice at her.

Both PCs in my game were Durulz, including one very skilled Humakti who takes insults to his honour very seriously. After a few adventures their (positive) reputation outshone any anti-Durulz baggage people had, it also helped that we started off playing in a very small area and then branched out.

4 hours ago, JRE said:

We do have a duck character, and the main thing in our experience is to play it straight faced but  without pulling any punches, being always ready for spontaneous comedy. Sometimes it is the duckiness, sometimes it is the small size, sometimes it is just the player being fed up of people talking to the humans in the team (besides the two PCs they usually move with a teamster, a wagon driver and two guards, whose main role is to protect the mules and the wagon while the players worry about other things).

We found the same.

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

Our Baabester-gori durulz is currently in Balazar, a place where Durulz are almost unknown (in my Glorantha at least). Her aspect is so improbable and hugly that most of the locals believe she's a minor death demon. They don't even think about laughing. This can give some unexpected (for a Durulz) role play possibilites.

Edited by Zit

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog