Pendragon Starter Set - Corrections Thread

With the release of the Pendragon Starter Set, this thread is to catch any typos or errors spotted. Please note them here, quoting book, the page number, the error, and the suggested correction. We will update the PDF and any subsequent printings.

We will delete reported items as we review them, so if your post gets deleted it's because we've dealt with it. Please read this initial post to see what has already been reported.

NOTE: this is not a thread for questions or discussion of the rules, we are specifically looking for errors and typos only. Please take any discussions you may have to another thread.

• Thanks 1

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

A big one that Bob brought to my attention:

"What's in this Box" sheet, p. 1: Book III: The Sword  Campaign: it says five-year campaign. Should be three (510-512). Also, Dice: nit-picking here as it says, "... a couple of twenty-sided dice, and a handful of six-siders...". While it can be argued that 6 dice is a handful, a couple means two. You get 1. So should be "a twenty-sided die and six six-siders..." or something to that effect.

This should also be corrected in the promo material, such as in the Chaosium website ( https://www.chaosium.com/pendragon-starter-set/ ) and in the post here ( https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/19241-out-now-the-pendragon-starter-set/ ):
"five in-game years of King Arthur’s reign", should be "three in-game years",
and
"And, of course, no Starter Set would be complete without a set of 8 polyhedral dice!", I agree, but you only get 7. 😛
  • Like 1

The Derived Characteristics marginalia is screwed up on Book II, p. 14: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/19253-starter-set-rules-discussion/

Instead of:
"The Derived
Characteristics are:
Knockdown (SIZ),
Major Wound
(CON), Weapon
Damage (STR +
SIZ/6), Brawling
Damage (STR +
SIZ/6), Healing
Rate (CON/5),
Movement Rate
([STR + SIZ/2] +
5), Total Hit Points
(SIZ + CON),
and Unconscious
(Total HP/4)."

It should be:
"The Derived
Characteristics are:
Knockdown (SIZ),
Major Wound
(CON), Weapon
Damage ([STR +
SIZ]/6 in d6s), Brawling
Damage ([STR +
SIZ]/6), Healing
Rate (CON/5),
Movement Rate
([STR + DEX]/2 +
5), Total Hit Points
(SIZ + CON),
and Unconscious
(Total HP/4)."

Edited by Morien

From the Starter Set - Rules discussion thread, cross-posted for completeness.

Book 2:

p.24 LH column, "Misery", 2nd para: "dispelle" should be "dispelled"?

p.54/55 Table 8.1 "Combat Horses" and Table 8.4 "Horse Armor" don't reconcile with one another.

• Table 8.1 states that a normal charger has STR 32 and that it "May wear padding, full or half gambeson". 
  • Table 8.4 states that a half gambeson requires a horse with STR 34, two more than the STR of normal charger that is stated as being able to use it in Table 8.1.
  • It seems likely that the STR requirement for a half gambeson would be lower than for full and that the "Horse STR needed" of 34 is a typo and should be 32 to align with table 8.1.

p.59 RH column, "Unconscious", 2nd para states "See the nearby quotation from Mallory" There is no nearby quotation from Mallory, sentence can be removed (perhaps the reference is in the core book but was removed from the layout for the Starter set).

13 hours ago, Morien said:

The Derived Characteristics marginalia is screwed up on Book II, p. 14: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/19253-starter-set-rules-discussion/

Note also that the description in the body text is not strictly correct either for most of the derived characteristics. For example, Brawling damage is described as STR+SIZ divided by 6. Strictly that is calculated as STR plus (SIZ / 6).  What is meant is that the sum of STR + SIZ is to be divided by 6.

Book 3

Title page states copyright 2022, the other two books are copyright 2023.

Year 510 adventure:

• There are several references to “courts” of Passions but this concept is not explained in Book 2 under Passions although its meaning can be inferred. P.16 tells the GM to “Remind the Players to review the limit of 40 points in any given court.” However, this limit is not stipulated or explained elsewhere in the Starter Set.
  • P12 Para 6, “The Player-knights recognize him as the boy they saw earlier.” However, the Player-knights have not met Arthur at this stage. This might be a vestigial reference to a scene in the QuickStart.
  • P23, bottom of left hand column refers to Appendix E “Mercenary & Household Knights”. This Appendix is not included with the Starter Set.
Edited by RandomNumber
Appendix E located at the end of Book 3

8 minutes ago, RandomNumber said:

P23, bottom of left hand column refers to Appendix E “Mercenary & Household Knights”. This Appendix is not included with the Starter Set.

It is included, but noy as a separate piece. It is at the end of Book III 

• Thanks 1

In the battle cards, for the Lothian knights, They have Siz 17 and Str 16. So, they should have 6d6 DMG, not 5d6 as written.

For the bodyguards, they have Siz 16 and Str 12, so they should have 5d6 DMG, not 6d6 as written.

The Champion is worth only 50 Glory points. It's a bit low. Not sure if it's a mistake or not.

I would recommend for the Starter Set, Book 1 solo adventure, page 37, section 110, that information be made available sooner about Knockdown and Major Wounds, especially Major Wounds. Looking at the beginning of Book 1, on page 4, these values are not defined nor is the information on the abbreviated character sheet on page 5.

During solo play I looked in Book 2 to find rules 

Edited by Anthras
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Magpiedesigner said:

Book 1, Page 24, Entry 63 - Should it say Go to 74? The story seems to jump.

That seems correct. The story also jumps in 65 and 70-73, arguably even more. The feast just peters out, and you can imagine that there would be a fade to the start of a new scene, were this a movie.

8 hours ago, Magpiedesigner said:

Also were does Entry 74 end?

Next page, Go To 75.

Can't know for certain, but it is a safe bet that Battle Card for Pictish Knifemen should not have a morale cost of 3d6. It is a serious outlier from the others if it is intended.

I suspect a correct morale cost is 1d6, perhaps less.

Edited by vegas

1 hour ago, vegas said:

Can't know for certain, but it is a safe bet that Battle Card for Pictish Knifemen should not have a morale cost of 3d6. It is a serious outlier from the others if it is intended.

I assumed that was because those pesky Picts are going after the precious horses, the savages. Bad for morale to have scores of horses screaming with split bellies, with a horde of those painted knifemen about. Nah, not worth it. Better to retire and seek new, worthier opponents.

The morale minimum to engage is only 5, so no, I don't think that rationale explains it; if it were "better to retire and seek new, worthier opponents" then, it is the morale min that would be much higher.

EDIT: the minimum morale to engage and the morale loss after engagement seem to be related for all the other Encounters except this one. Perhaps it is intended that they diverge for this card, but if so, this is the outlier.

Edited by vegas

2 hours ago, vegas said:

The morale minimum to engage is only 5, so no, I don't think that rationale explains it; if it were "better to retire and seek new, worthier opponents" then, it is the morale min that would be much higher.

EDIT: the minimum morale to engage and the morale loss after engagement seem to be related for all the other Encounters except this one. Perhaps it is intended that they diverge for this card, but if so, this is the outlier.

Ah, I had not read the Battle rules in that detail. For some reason I imagined that the Morale Loss would be paid before Engaging, but now I see it is after. So I think my first part is correct: After seeing that horrendous cruelty towards their beloved steeds, the PKs need to retire to enjoy a fortifying drink to steady their nerves.

They seem to differ from the Irish Kerns in that they are always trying to butcher the horse, whereas the Kerns are more about means to an end, getting the knight down from their high horse.

Edited by Morien

Just played through the Solo Quest. Nowhere (that I could see) was Major Wound explained during the Bohort (or anywhere else in the Solo Quest book)...I ended up assuming it was a quarter of your HP in one hit. I also ended up in a situation where we both landed successful hits, both took damage and both ended up unconscious...which isn't catered for in the options. Otherwise, what a great intro to the rules!!

Edited by Wulfgar22
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfgar22 said:

Just played through the Solo Quest. Nowhere (that I could see) was Major Wound explained during the Bohort (or anywhere else in the Solo Quest book)...I ended up assuming it was a quarter of your HP in one hit. I also ended up in a situation where we both landed successful hits, both took damage and both ended up unconscious...which isn't catered for in the options. Otherwise, what a great intro to the rules!!

According to Book 2, Major Wound = CON (and yes, from a single blow).
And yes, this Derived Characteristic should have been included in Book 1, p. 5, "character sheet".
Also in Book 1, p. 5, "character sheet": "Unconcious" should obviously be "Unconscious".

Edited by mandrill_one
Clarified the definition of Major Wound
  • Like 1

Just played through the Solo Quest. Nowhere (that I could see) was Major Wound explained during the Bohort (or anywhere else in the Solo Quest book)...

Best would be to have it in the character sheet (as mandrill_one said), but it is not, unfortunately. It is mentioned on Number 12, and then the opponents' MW threshold (30 hp & MW 15, 24 hp & MW 12) is mentioned in various bohort entries, which by themselves would lead a newbie to assume MW = HP/2.

And of course, as was already pointed out, in Book 2. But I agree, it should be already mentioned in the solo book, so that you can just pick that book up and play through without needing to read through Book 2 first.

I also ended up in a situation where we both landed successful hits, both took damage and both ended up unconscious...

Oh, you managed to roll a tie with enough damage to cause a major wound/knock people out? That is a bit of an edge case... Note that it is NOT enough that you both succeed. You have to roll the same exact number, too. (Explained in p. 14 box.)

which isn't catered for in the options.

Well, it kinda is. You follow the option of taking a MW or being knocked unconscious.

Edited by Morien

2 hours ago, Morien said:

Oh, you managed to roll a tie with enough damage to cause a major wound/knock people out? That is a bit of an edge case... Note that it is NOT enough that you both succeed. You have to roll the same exact number, too. (Explained in p. 14 box.)

Well, it kinda is. You follow the option of taking a MW or being knocked unconscious.

Okay...just re-read the Success and Failure box and,as you point out, it is me misunderstanding or misreading the rules. My character and the opposing squire had both hit each other a couple of times before and our respective HPs were close to the 'Unconscious' threshold. Then in the last attack we both 'succeeded' and so I assumed of the choices in 105 I had to choose 'go to 108' as we had both succeeded...but it should have actually been a 'Win' or a 'Partial Success' (I can't remember which of us had the better roll).  That makes a lot more sense...though I guess it is still possible for both characters to knock each other out, if it had been a tie and they had both been close to the Unconscious threshold as they would both have taken damage....but as you say, the chances are fairly small.

2 hours ago, Morien said:

Best would be to have it in the character sheet (as mandrill_one said), but it is not, unfortunately. It is mentioned on Number 12, and then the opponents' MW threshold (30 hp & MW 15, 24 hp & MW 12) is mentioned in various bohort entries, which by themselves would lead a newbie to assume MW = HP/2.

Yeah...I meant to say half my HP not a quarter, which I inferred from the opponent's threshold. 

Edited by Wulfgar22

1 hour ago, Morien said:

Not sure I understand this. No doubt me missing something again. Of the options for 108, in the event of a tie and if you have both taken enough damage...say a hit that does 5 or 6 damage (not enough for a Major Wound) but pushes you both into the 'Unconscious' zone of fewer than 7 HP and 8 HP respectively then don't you both go 'Unconscious'? If so then there is no option for both of you...just a choice for one or the other (113 or 115).

Edited by Wulfgar22