Pendragon Starter Set - Corrections Thread

59 minutes ago, Wulfgar22 said:

Not sure I understand this. No doubt me missing something again. Of the options for 108, in the event of a tie and if you have both taken enough damage...say a hit that does 5 or 6 damage (not enough for a Major Wound) but pushes you both into the 'Unconscious' zone of fewer than 7 HP and 8 HP respectively then don't you both go 'Unconscious'? If so then there is no option for both of you...just a choice for one or the other (113 or 115).

There isn't a choice for both of you, but since we don't care about him, but about you, you'd follow what happens to you. I.e. 115. After all, that is the result that matches (you go unconscious, and what happens to him is immaterial since you are unconscious and don't see it) than 113 (you are conscious and victorious and about to meet yet another challenger; you should be unconscious and the fight a tie). Makes sense?

It is enough an edge case (you have to tie and both of you have to be knocked to below UNC) that it likely happens only like 1% of the time. So probably no one had it in the playtest. Still, it would be an easy to fix, adding the guidance to the end of the big paragraph before the options:

"... fight is over. Follow your worst condition first, then his."

The other method would be to make the options into if-then-else-if structure:

Did you suffer a Major Wound, or are your Hit Points at zero or below? Go to 116.
Otherwise, are your Hit Points below your Unconscious value? Go to 115.
If you are still conscious, is he dead? Go to 112.
If he is not dead, is he unconscious? Go to 113.
Otherwise return to 105 and fight another round unless you wish to yield, in which case go to 114.

But I think the first method (add a sentence) is likely an easier fix.

2 hours ago, Morien said:

There isn't a choice for both of you, but since we don't care about him, but about you, you'd follow what happens to you. I.e. 115. After all, that is the result that matches (you go unconscious, and what happens to him is immaterial since you are unconscious and don't see it) than 113 (you are conscious and victorious and about to meet yet another challenger; you should be unconscious and the fight a tie). Makes sense?

It is enough an edge case (you have to tie and both of you have to be knocked to below UNC) that it likely happens only like 1% of the time. So probably no one had it in the playtest. Still, it would be an easy to fix, adding the guidance to the end of the big paragraph before the options:

"... fight is over. Follow your worst condition first, then his."

The other method would be to make the options into if-then-else-if structure:

Did you suffer a Major Wound, or are your Hit Points at zero or below? Go to 116.
Otherwise, are your Hit Points below your Unconscious value? Go to 115.
If you are still conscious, is he dead? Go to 112.
If he is not dead, is he unconscious? Go to 113.
Otherwise return to 105 and fight another round unless you wish to yield, in which case go to 114.

But I think the first method (add a sentence) is likely an easier fix.

Got it. Yeah...makes sense to follow the protagonist, though I selfishly followed 113 because I felt me tying (and therefore not losing) was the important thing and it was going to be the more 'positive' outcome in terms of story...but I get what you're saying. And in the end it didn't make any difference to the overall story. 

Edited by Wulfgar22

6 hours ago, TerryTroll said:

Page 5 of book one makes it clear that you only have one Famous (16+ Trait) at creation, yet the characters booklets often have characters with more than one? Are they advanced characters or is this an error?

The Book 1 shows a 14 year old page/squire. The pregen knights are 21 or more(?); plenty of time for character growth, even with 5.2 rules.

- An Unsung Trait has a Value of 0–4.  
- An Unsung Passion has a value between 1 and 5.
Why this difference ? Why not 0-5 and 1-5, or 0-4 and 1-4 ?
Others levels have the same range : Normal up to 15, Famous 16-20 and exalted 20+ for both traits and passions.

13 hours ago, Tontione said:

- An Unsung Trait has a Value of 0–4.  
- An Unsung Passion has a value between 1 and 5.
Why this difference ? Why not 0-5 and 1-5, or 0-4 and 1-4 ?
Others levels have the same range : Normal up to 15, Famous 16-20 and exalted 20+ for both traits and passions.

My guess is it's because using multiples of 5 is simpler for Passions, and that a value of 4 for a Trait has a mechanical meaning, because it's the opposite of a Famous Trait (which basically means it's not really "unsung", because you can't divorce it from it's counterpart...)

Edited by Mugen

7 hours ago, Mugen said:

My guess is it's because using multiples of 5 is simpler for Passions, and that a value of 4 for a Trait has a mechanical meaning, because it's the opposite of a Famous Trait (which basically means it's not really "unsung", because you can't divorce it from it's counterpart...)

I agree with your last point. But the same 4 value for traits and passions seems to me easier to remember.

Edited by Tontione

• 2 weeks later...

Our group just completed adventure I, The Adventure of the Sword Tournament. 

We are now processing the Winter Phase, and have a few queries around that.

Step 1. Experience Rolls
Roll 1d20 once for each experience check on any trait or skill. If the number rolled is *greater than* then current value, then the character learned from the experience and adds one point to that value. Once a checked Statistic is rolled, erase the check.

Q. Does a critical not increase the value ?

Step 2. Training & Practice
The Player may select any *one* of the following improvements

Change a Characteristic
Players may add one point to any one of STR, DEX, CON or APP. 

Q. Are these increases subject to any cap / limit ?

Train a Skill Up to 20
Increase *one* Skill over 15 by one point, up to a maximum value of 20. No Skill can receive a Critical bonus or increase it by Training and Practice. 

Q. The wording is really strange here, please can you explain what the second sentence means.

6 hours ago, zzMannyzz said:

Q. Does a critical not increase the value ?

Critical = equal to, so no.

In 5.2, a roll of 20 always increased the value even if it was 20 or more. That omission here might have been space issue or an actual change. However, it is unlikely to matter during the Starter Set as you'd really have to work for it to get a value up to 20 in the three game-years. 

Q. Are these increases subject to any cap / limit ?

Again, I would assume it is a space issue. I wouldn't allow imcreases past 18+cultural bonuses (assuming those are still a thing).

Q. The wording is really strange here, please can you explain what the second sentence means.

You can't go from 20 to 20 (+1) or from 20 (+1) to 20 (+2). I assume the wording is clunky because of the new notation. In 5.2, those values would have been 21 and 22, so no extra specifications were needed.

Edited by Morien
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our group just completed the second adventure "The Adventure of the Forest of the Silver Deer".

During "The Battle of Bedegraine" the players completed the battle card "Rescue Captive Knights". The last paragraph of the card refers to a Favor system.

"At the Gamemaster’s option, if using the Favor system from
the core rules, the nobles may instead owe Favors to the Playerknights
equivalent to the Glory awards."

I cannot find are reference to this favor system anywhere.

2 hours ago, zzMannyzz said:

Our group just completed the second adventure "The Adventure of the Forest of the Silver Deer".

During "The Battle of Bedegraine" the players completed the battle card "Rescue Captive Knights". The last paragraph of the card refers to a Favor system.

"At the Gamemaster’s option, if using the Favor system from
the core rules, the nobles may instead owe Favors to the Playerknights
equivalent to the Glory awards."

I cannot find are reference to this favor system anywhere.

As it says: "from the core rules". So I guess those are parts of the game system that were not published in the Starter Set and have to wait until the core books are out.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

Book 3, p.16 Boxed-out Pictish Warrior. 

• HP = 24, not 25 (STR 11 + CON 13 = 24). Therefore Unconscious = 6, not 7

As a quick aside, UNC should be 6 regardless. Book II, p. 9: "Rounding Numbers Values and die outcomes are always rounded to the nearest whole number."

• 3 weeks later...

There is a contradiction in the duration of Melancholy which introduces an ambiguity in healing the condition.

p 24 reads: "The length of the Melancholy is usually equal to 1d6+1 days". In contrast, p 20 has a table of Melancholy duration based on the magnitude of the Passion which range from 1d6 hours to 1d6 weeks, and none of which are 1d6+1 days.

In the cure for the Melancholy affliction described on p 24, an Opposed roll is made against the "fixed opposition" referenced prior. The phrasing and presence of the error makes it ambiguous to understand the intent of the rule; are we rolling against the actual length of Melancholy in days or are we making a separate 1d6+1 to set the "fixed opposition" regardless of the length of Melancholy.

Reference to the usual length of Melancholy should be removed as it just adds confusion whatever the intended rule is.

I don't know if this counts as a correction, but my players and I have been frustrated at how the adventures have plenty of scenes where the player-knights can get new Passions, but there are no blank lines under Passions on the character sheets to write them in. I don't know if they could be changed for future print runs of the starter set, but it would be great if the sheets were set up for the changes the player-knights go through over the course of the campaign.

• 2 months later...

Book II, the Fabled Realm, p.19, Table 3.1.

A failure triggers a Passion Crisis roll.

A fumble lowers the passion by one point but no Passion Crisis roll is mentioned.

This clearly contradicts page 20 "....a failed or FUMBLED roll on Table 3.1: Unopposed Passion Roll Results is one way to trigger a Passion Crisis."

It is obvious that the fumble entry should be read as "Passion Crisis, Lose 1 point from the Passion".

The same problem is also present on the quickstart p.4, table 1.1.

Edited by Luca Cherstich

As a further note, I feel that Book II should explain what happens to Melee Distances after a charge.

If somebody mounted with a lance charges and hits a sword wielder they will possibly start next round still at Long melee distance.

If he fails and the swordman wins they'll possibly be at Normal melee distance.

Nevertheless, considering how the physicality of a charging horse works it seems odd to me that the mounted attacker remains in Normal melee range in both cases.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...