Full Moon Corps

Erol of Backford

I was reading on the wiki:

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Full_Moon_Corps

Full Moon Corps - part of which is the feared regiment of demigods from the Red Moon the Imperial Guard of the Lunar Empire. The only uniform is a silver mask which starts expressionless but changes to reflect the wearer's personality.

Is the character at the center left and the two with the print at the bottom supposed to be members of the Full Moon Corps/Imperial Guard (it looks like they have some armor but it all looks pretty cool) and would the horseman be the Red Emperor Ignifer? Since 1994 I had not really looked at the cover... Bat pauldrons, and why does the commander/officer seemingly have a goat head on his shield?

image.thumb.png.355d06c20dabc173a5a3a00185ce6a55.png

Considering the Persian style full armor, it could be any. In Persia it would be a man, of course, and now I wonder if the image has been reversed or the clibanarius and the YT scimitar are left handed.

I love this Angus McBride style illustrations.

th?id=OIP.riERvTYZ_-Lbj1aEEeXVaQAAAA%26p

th?id=OIP.Fc52WbJcJcxDGBhSk37sNwHaJL%26p

14 hours ago, John Biles said:

Looking at the issue, the cover is not explained inside it.

In the next issue under the Apologies p2 "Secondly the front cover picture by Dan Barker depicts a battlefield conference between the Red Emperor and Fazzur Wideread".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:44 AM, JRE said:

I love this Angus McBride style illustrations.

I have 100+ of the Osprey books... good stuff.

Evil Romans... I mean evil Lunars!

image.png.b4155e5afd856130e56eca5604196ee5.png images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA_EaMAs9wbX3cUPIg6anGNlEkLHZWBICBe17cd95yOAjc7mWR3WowOI7oZXpsNAM4Rwo&usqp=CAU image.png.9e3c4ea833658539c5737a1996e75982.png

On 7/6/2023 at 4:44 AM, JRE said:

Persian style full armor

and this one, Angus McBride is the bomb. The Moonies (I think they were called that somewhere?) were surely based on the Persian style?

image.png.88c040f2cf3ad0fd8c83bc3394d17524.png image.png.c536117d91b8c2d704cbaf2557ceede2.png  image.png.52a4c0adf7adf8e4a9cf28ece7216218.png image.png.998e546bc1e92c7f2b0fe242736d3df0.png

Forgot to add these!

image.png.ffe64aa976483aadd4dd57bbd1161e89.png image.png.327bc1b82df3f2bb0b063ea557061c85.png Not Mr. McBride but somewhat relevant, Persian-ish and the Immortals?

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:10 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Full Moon Corps - part of which is the feared regiment of demigods from the Red Moon the Imperial Guard of the Lunar Empire. The only uniform is a silver mask which starts expressionless but changes to reflect the wearer's personality.

Is the character at the center left and the two with the print at the bottom supposed to be members of the Full Moon Corps/Imperial Guard

See the picture in the Guide p.306.

image.png.5ff75fc00919bb2d2d709b8dd44ae670.png

This illustration features the Imperial Warlord, Bellex Maximus, and not the Full Moon Corps, but he goes to the same outfitters. (Cover art for Crimson King by John Sumrow).

crimson-king-33.thumb.png.aedb0c68e57f71fd325d761dc1bfee75.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 7:48 PM, jajagappa said:

See the picture in the Guide p.306.

GtG: As a member of the Full Moon Corps, her helmet is gilded and ornate, crested and decorated with feathers, with a silver faceplate modeled on her own face, but tusked and grimacing ferociously.

I thought they were demigods living on the moon, thus being called moonies? She looks like a normal human besides the mask?

Also: wears a gilded bronze muscle cuirass depicting an anthropomorphized Red Moon - it might be but I don't see it... the Full Moon Corps would have iron no?

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

GtG: As a member of the Full Moon Corps, her helmet is gilded and ornate, crested and decorated with feathers, with a silver faceplate modeled on her own face, but tusked and grimacing ferociously.

I thought they were demigods living on the moon, thus being called moonies? She looks like a normal human besides the mask?

Also: wears a gilded bronze muscle cuirass depicting an anthropomorphized Red Moon - it might be but I don't see it... the Full Moon Corps would have iron no?

The Full Moon Corps is strong because of their magic rather than their (first rate) equipment. Full iron gear is rare outside of the Iron mostali, and extremely rare the farther you get from Belskan in Seshnela.

The Lunar Army manages to field the Steel Sword Legion as one of their prestigious elite forces. While it is an above-average military unit, as far as I can see its possession of iron swords in the rank and file is more a matter of ostentation than a military asset (except in fights against uz or aldryami).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis