History of Wind Children, Newtlings, Waertagi and Triolini

Runeblogger

Does anybody know who created the Wind Children (Stafford or Perrin) and what was the main inspiration for them? 🤔

The same goes for the other three species. Wind Children and Newtlings first appeared in RQ1 and RQ2, but where did the Waertagi and Triolini first appear?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

15 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Does anybody know who created the Wind Children (Stafford or Perrin) and what was the main inspiration for them?

Wind children exist in WB&RM, so I think they predate RQ (and thus would be Greg)

20 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

where did the Waertagi and Triolini first appear?

You can find both in Wyrms Footnotes #8 in the Spirits of the Sea article. RQ was out by then, but did not yet include either, so would also be Greg's creations. Possibly those date to much earlier stories about the west? Maybe @scott-martin knows?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Does anybody know who created the Wind Children (Stafford or Perrin) and what was the main inspiration for them? 🤔

The same goes for the other three species. Wind Children and Newtlings first appeared in RQ1 and RQ2, but where did the Waertagi and Triolini first appear?

The Newtling Renegades first appeared in Nomad Gods (1977), and Wyrms Footnotes #4 (1978), if I recall correctly, describes them in more detail.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

IMG_9764.thumb.png.73a76e9f6b6f23565ea5a57f78ca0f8e.pngI wasted precious minutes flipping through my "cursed" copy of WBRM (someone laminated it 50 years ago so the thick plastic pages stick together like old corduroy) so missed my chance to beat @jajagappa to the punch. Wind Children ("Children of the Wind" are indeed in there. As @Eff notes, Newtling "Renegades" are in Nomad Gods, which is I think pre-Perrin.

The children of Waertag and the children of Triolina are about as old as it gets. In terms of where they all come from, we should ask Sandy if he remembers hearing anything. There are textual simularities between the Wind Children writeup and some of Greg's musings about relationships between earthy mortals and airy spirits but the early art feels more like someone saw a Led Zeppelin logo. They're cool looking!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 4

singer sing me a given

12 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

IMG_9764.thumb.png.73a76e9f6b6f23565ea5a57f78ca0f8e.pngI wasted precious minutes flipping through my "cursed" copy of WBRM (someone laminated it 50 years ago so the thick plastic pages stick together like old corduroy) so missed my chance to beat @jajagappa to the punch. Wind Children ("Children of the Wind" are indeed in there. As @Eff notes, Newtling "Renegades" are in Nomad Gods, which is I think pre-Perrin.

The children of Waertag and the children of Triolina are about as old as it gets. In terms of where they all come from, we should ask Sandy if he remembers hearing anything. There are textual simularities between the Wind Children writeup and some of Greg's musings about relationships between earthy mortals and airy spirits but the early art feels more like someone saw a Led Zeppelin logo. They're cool looking!

I want to know more about Yena Wambla now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

21 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Wow, what is that document, exactly?

• Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Yena is apparently an air wife in the way of the children of Aerlit. All four caste fathers and the caste mother are hers. 

Phlia vanishes at the moment the vadelites emerge and her children also vanish from the narrative (or are transformed), which is suggestive. The children of Malkion have three mothers. The children of Vadel have three fathers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

singer sing me a given

6 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Wow, what is that document, exactly?

That is known as "Genealogy, the Brithini," found in the Seshnegi Book of Foreigners (both states). I haven't gotten around to dating it internally but maybe 1967-8? Obsessives will note the "engrion" title.

Edited by scott-martin
also in the first state, to be fair
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

singer sing me a given

10 hours ago, scott-martin said:

IMG_9764.thumb.png.73a76e9f6b6f23565ea5a57f78ca0f8e.png

If the names at this early stage are not deceptive — I know! I know! — then maybe:

• Aerlit Kolate = Air
  • Warera Triolina = Sea
  • Air + Sea = Foam -> Aphrodite
  • Malkion = Aphrodite?
  • (Even Malkion = Milky Foam, the patron of frothy coffee)

Sorry, couldn’t resist. 😉

Edited by mfbrandi
  • Haha 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

There is an early unfinished Stafford tale "Aftal the Waertag" which was printed in Missing Lands and indicated to have been written in the mid-60s.  It also mentions the Deri which appeared in the Guide and the Little People of Jrustela, who are probably now Timinits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Winged hardly-dressed (female) humanoids were a staple in fantasy illustrations in the late sixties, and some of those appear in the early Wyrm's Footnotes and IIRC also in the APA Zines. I suppose that is sufficient grounds for inspiration.

The Waertagi receive explicit mention in the sea voyage of the father of Mimtak (the last serpent-legged king of Seshnela) to the east in the Serpent King history, and they show up again as foes of one of the first Hrestoli kings following the Serpent King dynasty. That text collection dates from around 1967.

Triolini appear in the surname of Warera Triolina but receive little direct mention in the land-bound adventures of Froalar's descendants.

10 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Yena is apparently an air wife in the way of the children of Aerlit. All four caste fathers and the caste mother are hers.

Air wives are rare in the extant Gloranthan myth - we have Brastalos (wife of Magasta) and Molanni (mistress of the Evil Emperor). Given the identification of the Evil Emperor as Malkion in Dawn Age western Genertela, this gives a possible identification of Yena Wambla...

Elsewhere (Hrestol's Saga genealogies, Serpent Kings history), the caste ancestors Talar, Zzabur, Menena and Holar (rather than Gwymir) are children of Phlia Tilnta, and Dronar is the child of Kala (not surnamed Likita, but a hill goddess of Brithela) rather than her husband. The marriage partners of Talar, Menena (and Neleos) are their twin siblings of the opposite sex - probably born as a couple destined to be wedded already from birth.

Other than Waertag (and presumably Vadel), none of the six tribal ancestors so prominent in Revealed Mythologies seem to be mentioned in these older texts.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

While I don't know of anything canon on the topic, I have generally played that Newtlings are what happens to Crested Dragonewts when they accidentally leave the Dragon Path, in the same way that Magisaurs are dragonewts who left the Dragon Path due to an obsession with magic, and allosauruses had an obsession with food and aggression, while Triceratopses were doctrinally obstinate and wrong etc.  This is why Newtlings are prepared to apparently be voluntarily enslaved by dragonewts; they can rejoin the Dragon Path if they do.

That is my 2 cents.  YGWV. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 8:43 PM, Runeblogger said:

But how can you accidentally leave the Dragon Path? 🤔

Very easily.  It is about as easy as a medieval peasant falling into heresy because they didn't understand a sermon properly. 

For example: "Oh, you wanted me to form a charity to feed starving widows and orphans... I thought you said you wanted me to start a charity FOR STARVING widows and orphans...  Should I unchain them and let them out of the shed then?  Give them some bread?"

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Darius West said:

Very easily.  It is about as easy as a medieval peasant falling into heresy because they didn't understand a sermon properly. 

For example: "Oh, you wanted me to form a charity to feed starving widows and orphans... I thought you said you wanted me to start a charity FOR STARVING widows and orphans...  Should I unchain them and let them out of the shed then?  Give them some bread?"

• Haha 2