Building a setting for BRP:UGE

Friends have said I should start out building a supers setting for BRP since it is really my forte, I have been thinking of adapting my superhero comics setting for awhile. It's just been a bit of hesitation.

I'm not sure if I should use BRP: UGE or Superworld. I heard that Steve Perrin had begun work on a new edition before he passed. I just don't know which to focus on.

BRP:UGE has an open license, SuperWorld does not. Mythras Imperative (the core system) is also ORC, but Destined (the superhero variant) is not, so you need permission from The Design Mechanism (usually granted if you negociate the terms with them).

So, if you intend to publish the setting, even for free, you should take these factors into account.

• Helpful 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

21 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

BRP:UGE has an open license, SuperWorld does not. Mythras Imperative (the core system) is also ORC, but Destined (the superhero variant) is not, so you need permission from The Design Mechanism (usually granted if you negociate the terms with them).

So, if you intend to publish the setting, even for free, you should take these factors into account.

Destined's setting and much of the text is not ORC. However, Mythras Imperative does include a good number of powers (17), so could form a basis for a superheroes setting quite well. Destined has about 30 more, and a fair number more of boosts.

Mythras offers the Gateway license as well

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I've run Superworld (and the WoW version -but not with the new BRP editions BGB/UGE). I'd say it depends what you've got. If you've Superworld and the companion, you are all set (as that's what I know). If I were to run supers again under BRP, I feel I'd be starting over again. If you are not going to publish anything, then whatever licence each has got is irrelevant. 

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 4/30/2024 at 12:15 PM, Darrin Kelley said:

I'm not sure if I should use BRP: UGE or Superworld. I heard that Steve Perrin had begun work on a new edition before he passed. I just don't know which to focus on.

IMO Superworld is a better superhero RPG, as it has designed to be just that,  a lot of game mechanics tailored to the comics, while BRP is by it's nature more generic. That said, as other have pointed out, UGE is open license while Superworld is not. So if you are thinking of publishing something you should probably go with UGE. 

Alos keep in mind that it is possible to reinvent the wheel for those bits of Superwolrd that aren't in the UGE. While you can't swipe from Superworld direclty, you can recreate certian bits of it. For instance, Superworld has a method of giving mundane weapons a hero point cost for purchase based on the weapon damage, and that rule could be adapted easily to UGE. So you could probably get what you want to work in UGE. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

I've run Superworld (and the WoW version -but not with the new BRP editions BGB/UGE). I'd say it depends what you've got. If you've Superworld and the companion, you are all set (as that's what I know). If I were to run supers again under BRP, I feel I'd be starting over again. If you are not going to publish anything, then whatever licence each has got is irrelevant. 

I have Superworld. I recently was able to acquire all the supplements for it. So I'm not restricted much in its use.

BRP:UGE I got direct from Chaosium pretty recently. And I like it. It hits all the right buttons for me as a classic gamer.

Now when it comes to publishing. Yes, that's on the table. I have a several-volume set of world books I am looking to get into print.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

IMO Superworld is a better superhero RPG, as it has designed to be just that,  a lot of game mechanics tailored to the comics, while BRP is by it's nature more generic. That said, as other have pointed out, UGE is open license while Superworld is not. So if you are thinking of publishing something you should probably go with UGE. 

Alos keep in mind that it is possible to reinvent the wheel for those bits of Superwolrd that aren't in the UGE. While you can't swipe from Superworld direclty, you can recreate certian bits of it. For instance, Superworld has a method of giving mundane weapons a hero point cost for purchase based on the weapon damage, and that rule could be adapted easily to UGE. So you could probably get what you want to work in UGE. 

I feel I can make due with UGE. Since that is what is actually available.

1 hour ago, Darrin Kelley said:

I have Superworld. I recently was able to acquire all the supplements for it. So I'm not restricted much in its use ...

Well, except you are restricted if...

... Now when it comes to publishing. Yes, that's on the table. I have a several-volume set of world books I am looking to get into print.

But... I think you already understand this?
Because:

I feel I can make due with UGE. Since that is what is actually available.

But that initial quote (above) makes me uncertain...

C'es ne pas un .sig

Superworld is decades old. It hasn't been updated since the last printing. And I honestly don't have a clue how Chaosium regards it right now. I haven't asked them. So even though I own it from a collector's point of view, I don't know how practical actually using it for supplements would be.

But I have UGE. And I like it. So I think it's the most practical to make new supplements for..

17 hours ago, Darrin Kelley said:

... So even though I own it from a collector's point of view, I don't know how practical actually using it for supplements would be ...

Well, it's just as good today as it was back then (which is to say, pretty darned good!).

Very "practical" to use for your own games.

It's also operating under the same (non-ORC) legal framework as it ever did:  everything is fine on a personal-use basis, but "supplements" (i.e. creating products for publication, distribution, sale, etc) require a separate license from Chaosium.

BRP:UGE is available for use under the ORC license.  So far as I know, that is the only Chaosium text available under the ORC license.
Despite the vast similarities, BRP BGB is not open via ORC... nor is Magic World, CoC, RQ, etc etc etc, in either "Main Rulebook" or "Quickstart" editions (despite the QS's being free PDF's!)

(n.b. I am not a lawyer; I am not Chaosium; I am relatively confident that what I've written is correct; you should consult both Chaosium and your own lawyer)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Darrin Kelley said:

Superworld is decades old. It hasn't been updated since the last printing.

That's not a bad thing. A tabletop RPG isn't like a PC. A lot of older games are as good or even better than newer RPGs. Newer isn't always better. After all, the core game mechanics for BRP hard back to the original RuneQuest in 1978, and the core mechanics are basically the same. 

And I honestly don't have a clue how Chaosium regards it right now. I haven't asked them. So even though I own it from a collector's point of view, I don't know how practical actually using it for supplements would be.

Well, it's a 40 year old game that while it had a following, was never a big game for Chaosium. So it very niche, and doesn't really benefit from the name the wall CoC or RQ does. 

But I have UGE. And I like it. So I think it's the most practical to make new supplements for..

I think that's probably the best move from a business standpoint. UGE is Open license, Superworld is not, UGE can benefit from name and current activity while Superworld probably won't. So UGE is probably a better choice for a third party publisher. 

One benefit you get from this is that you aren't tied to anything in Superworld, and can adapt the comics the way you think will work best.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.