BRP Licensing...

Trifletraxor

Me think Chaosium will lose more than Gwenthia. They don't answer the emails of other publishers who want to make licensed publications for BRP either. One thing is that they may not care about answering fans, but not even answering buisness related emails? That suck... :mad:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Me think Chaosium will lose more than Gwenthia. They don't answer the emails of other publishers who want to make licensed publications for BRP either.

Care to elaborate? The only established publisher I'm aware of who has expressed a definite interest in a BRP license is Seraphim Guard - and they got one; but I'm certainly NOT privy to ANY of Chaosium's communications nor at all connected in the industry, so I've no idea if anyone else has approached them.

One thing is that they may not care about answering fans, but not even answering buisness related emails? That suck... :mad:

Speaking personally, I approached Chaosium some time ago about Uncounted Worlds in what I hope was a concise but sufficiently informative email (outlining what I wanted to do, who I was and what I beleived I needed from Chaosium) and whilst I didn't get the fastest of replies, I did get one.

Cheers,

Nick

Care to elaborate? The only established publisher I'm aware of who has expressed a definite interest in a BRP license is Seraphim Guard - and they got one; but I'm certainly NOT privy to ANY of Chaosium's communications nor at all connected in the industry, so I've no idea if anyone else has approached them.

I'm talking about an established publisher besides Seraphim Guard, which have produced some high quality supplement earlier. I'm pretty sure I would buy anything they would produce for BRP. I was told in a PM though, and it's not a "news" item yet (as they've gotten no respons), so I can't give the name yet. :ohwell:

SGL.

If you can't say who your source is, then why post about it at all until, and if, you can?

Not to seem rude, but I agree - there may well be additional circumstances involved, and at the very least if you can't give any details, we can't know when the email to Chaosium was sent etc... and it all becomes rampant speculation. For example, if what they (whoever they are) had a substantive proposal to put to Chaosium, why didn't they duplicate it via conventional mail - that would be the professional approach in my book (and indeed, in most niche publishing circles I'm aware of...).

Not saying you're wrong Triff, but until we can have some details, this is a bit nebulous...

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

If you can't say who your source is, then why post about it at all until, and if, you can?

Ah, you know, just complaining a bit. It's a human right to complain! :P

Not to seem rude, but I agree - there may well be additional circumstances involved, and at the very least if you can't give any details, we can't know when the email to Chaosium was sent etc... and it all becomes rampant speculation.

You might be right, but it wouldn't be the first time they didn't follow up communications concerning their license (I'm still annoyed by Gwenthia going to MRQ! :().

For example, if what they (whoever they are) had a substantive proposal to put to Chaosium, why didn't they duplicate it via conventional mail - that would be the professional approach in my book (and indeed, in most niche publishing circles I'm aware of...).

Not saying you're wrong Triff, but until we can have some details, this is a bit nebulous...

Okay your basically right about that, I'll stop my complaining for now. :o

(I might be back later though! :D)

SGL.

One reason: this dissatisfaction could feed back to Chaosium and actually make a response more likely, improving our chances of getting a high quality supplement for BRP. That's worth a bit of frustrated curiosity, I'd say...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I'm not trying to defend Chaosium's email response times, because that's their business, but if I were, for example, trying to reach them about a professional matter, I'd do all of these three things:

1. Email them, being sure to c.c. at least two of the people there (their individual emails are easy to get)

2. Send them a physical letter (registered is best)

3. Call them directly via the phone # they post on their site

Thinking about it, I will probably buy the first Gwenthia-book anyway, and see how much a hassle it will be to convert.

I really hope you do.

Converting between BRP and MRQ is really NOT going to be such a hassle. The magic systems are designed with both systems in mind; the background is dense, multi-layered, and can be used with many systems.

Gwenthia will be published independently. It will conform to the SRD and OGL, but it'll be produced by The Design Mechanism, the name of thje collective who created the world. All profits generated will go into producing additional books; Mongoose won't see a penny of it.

The reasons for taking Gwenthia in this direction are many, but can be summarised as follows...

1. Communication. Yes, The Design Mechanism was frustrated by the lack of communication, but on its own, it wasn't the only reason for going MRQ.

2. Flexibility. MRQ operates under an SRD and OGL which gives us great scope and freedom to publish the system we want without having to wait for the BRP rules to be published or negotiate with Chaosium on how the rules, or the BRP licence, is applied to the finished article. Also, staying independent would allow us to perhaps include BRP conversion notes without having any license issues.

3. Control. The Design Mechanism has about 10 members - all contributors to the project, and all have a say in how the book and setting should develop. Whilst I'm certainly NOT saying that we'd lose control over Gwenthia if we went with a Chaosium contract, there is that possibility. And that's what we were discussing; a contract for Chaosium to produce Gwenthia - not for the DM to sublicense BRP.

4. Money. By remaining independent and MRQ, we can do this on a much, much, lower budget. We do not need to pay for any form of license to use BRP, and that lets us focus on other things.

Ultimately, whatever your feelings about Chaosium, Mongoose, BRP or MRQ, Gwenthia is a setting first and foremost, developed as a place for great gaming (and it is. I've run games in many areas of Gwenthia and had a comnplete blast). MRQ will support the system as well as BRP, but the Gwenthia variant will have the following additions:

Magic: several completely new magic systems that are unlike any of the MRQ magic systems. Or BRP's, for that matter.

Combat: Pete Nash's brilliant combat rules will be the system used here.

Religion: These are the main areas we need to develop before going to publication. It'll be very different to MRQ's cult structures.

Creatures: A brand new bestiary, with creatures that fit ecological niches and have sound, believable rationales. If you've seen what we've done with the Iqari and She'eth, you'll see what sort of design approach we're taking.

Enough thread-jacking from me, but I wanted to just outline why Gwenthia's going the way it is, and just make clear that Chaosium hasn't 'lost' it just because comms was lacking; there are other reasons outweighing that.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Very interesting Loz...much appreciate the info :thumb: I'll have to check the Gwenthia material out.

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

It's his forum - he can do what he likes!

Anyway, I like a bit of sh*t-stirring now and again.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Appears I jumped to conclusions (again). They had been in contact with Chaosium per phone too, they just haven't heard anything back from them after that. But patience is virtue don't they say? :ohwell:

SGL.

Forget patience! Call them again and hassle them! Good chance they will do the, "Oh yeah! I've been meaning to call you!" type thing.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420