runequesting.com - now in beta

On 7/27/2024 at 5:47 AM, Gamesmeister said:

Fixed issue where some cults still had access to prohibited spirit magic

There's 2 different phenomena:
 - restricted/prohibited spells forbidden to specific cult(s) -- like fire-spells for Yelmalio, who is "fireless" for mythic reasons
 - unique spells, only available from one source (or a very few) -- such as Sleep being a Chalana Arroy unique, or Shatter being Black Fang.

I don't know if you  do / can / want to  treat these differently.

But I observe that needing to remove Sleep & Shatter & similar spells from every cult's "available magic" list sounds like (potentially) a lot more work, an extra step you'll need to remember to do each time you implement new deities from a new "Cults of..." book, or regional sourcebook.  An alternate take would be to have some spells specifically-attached to one/few Cults, and not available to (and thus not needing to be excluded from) all the others.

Should the "exceptional case" be implemented just one way (and if so, which way), or should it be both ways... from a programming point of view?

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

43 minutes ago, g33k said:

- restricted/prohibited spells forbidden to specific cult(s) -- like fire-spells for Yelmalio, who is "fireless" for mythic reasons
 - unique spells, only available from one source (or a very few) -- such as Sleep being a Chalana Arroy unique, or Shatter being Black Fang.

And the added complication that - correct me if I'm wrong - it isn't even stated that this is a thing for Sleep, until the Lightbringers book.

3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

And the added complication that - correct me if I'm wrong - it isn't even stated that this is a thing for Sleep, until the Lightbringers book.

Yeah; well-known to the grognards... and so, the grognards who wrote the rules forgot to mention it.
🤭

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Incorrect.  Red Book of Magic p107.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, g33k said:

The change made in release 1.2 was the first - removing Fireblade etc from Yelmalio.

The second will be implemented in an upcoming release.

Poi

On 7/21/2024 at 9:24 PM, g33k said:

Is there a plan to include other deities from the "Cults of RuneQuest" line, in time?

I hope there is a plan to allow custom deities. In my campaign there's a Yelornan  and an initiate of a local spirit (Red Toad).

I think many use cults that are not in the core in their games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Poi

I hope there is a plan to allow custom deities. In my campaign there's a Yelornan  and an initiate of a local spirit (Red Toad).

I think many use cults that are not in the core in their games.

The next release will include custom cults

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Made my first character earlier today. Overall, this has a ton of promise. One thing I noticed after I made a character with no armor: the auto calculated armor/hp boxes had the proper hit points listed, but also gave 1 pt armor to the character's chest and -1 for each arm. In other words, it looks like the formula for determining location hit points (+1 to chest, -1 to each arm) was made visible instead of the actual armor values. 

Sorry if that wasn't explained well. 

39 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

Made my first character earlier today. Overall, this has a ton of promise. One thing I noticed after I made a character with no armor: the auto calculated armor/hp boxes had the proper hit points listed, but also gave 1 pt armor to the character's chest and -1 for each arm. In other words, it looks like the formula for determining location hit points (+1 to chest, -1 to each arm) was made visible instead of the actual armor values. 

Sorry if that wasn't explained well. 

Thanks for the heads up, will fix shortly

What a fantastic resource! Well done!

One tiny thing that didn’t seem to work was: I rolled to improve the truth rune. It improved by one, but my illusion rune didn’t go down by one. After that, I can no longer close down the improvements window. I need to click on characters to get out and then click on my character again. 

9 hours ago, Tiggy said:

What a fantastic resource! Well done!

One tiny thing that didn’t seem to work was: I rolled to improve the truth rune. It improved by one, but my illusion rune didn’t go down by one. After that, I can no longer close down the improvements window. I need to click on characters to get out and then click on my character again. 

No, I debated adding this automated balancing of runes, but decided against it due to Illumination. At some point in the future I'll add illumination as a character state, at which point I'll then be able to automatically manage conflicting runes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiggy said:

After that, I can no longer close down the improvements window. I need to click on characters to get out and then click on my character again. 

There should be an X in the top right of the Experience window. If not, check that you're browser isn't zoomed in, as that will tend to hide it

1 hour ago, Gamesmeister said:

There should be an X in the top right of the Experience window. If not, check that you're browser isn't zoomed in, as that will tend to hide it

Indeed there is, but what happened was that the entire window froze so that I couldn't click the x. I replicated it today, but I discovered that I could also escape the window by clicking on the "Weapon and armour" symbol to open that window instead. That I could close with the x. (I am using Safari on Mac.)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Release 1.2.1

Bug fixes

• Selecting Chariot Driver in character creation will now receive the correct Drive Chariot skill
  • When selecting a Herder during character creation, only missile weapons are available for the +30% bonus.
  • Fixed issue where armour was being modified incorrectly (in some cases appearing as -1 on arms)
  • Fixed issue where character with last name could not be deleted
  • Added helper text to clarify that elemental runes must be dragged onto an affinity to be selected during character creation.
  • Added Ernalda as an occupational cult for Priests.
  • Added helper text to clarify that when selecting a cult during character creation, only cults where the character has a cult-related rune of at least 50% will be shown by default.
  • Fixed invalid stats on 2H Short Spear
  • Achieving a critical success when casting a rune spell no longer costs rune points.
  • Removed opposed POW rolls from rune spells until this can be implemented successfully
Edited by Gamesmeister
  • Like 3

Wonderful resource, lot of potential. It's not clear to me right now if there is a way to edit equipment anywhere? I could add more armor at the edit page, but couldn't find out how to remove it. Editing current history entries was also something I missed.

Imo this could already be tremendously useful to me if it was possible/easier to edit anything and everything. I can fix incorrect/missing information myself, but I need the ability to do so.

Edited by firestell
  • Like 1

You can edit *almost* everything while in edit mode. To remove armor and/or weapons, open the Inventory panel while in edit mode and you can remove those items.

The main areas you can't edit relate to background content, such as history, siblings, that kind of thing. I will add the ability to edit those in an upcoming release

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A really helpful method of tracking where you are going with your character generation and revising things. I just created a STR 11, CON 9 noble and realised right at the end that the bronze armour and equipment was giving horrendous over-encumbrance penalties. It was simple to trade down some armour and unequip some weapons to fix that, for a character that wasn't looking at a combat role. Demoralise and lots of POW was her best defence.

I noticed that although I can delete the character that I just made, four other characters made earlier now seem to be undeletable. Is that expected?

Sorry I'm late in replying. I kept getting sidetracked between goes at making characters.

Edited by Byll
Remembered stats wrongly
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 2:03 PM, Byll said:

I noticed that although I can delete the character that I just made, four other characters made earlier now seem to be undeletable. Is that expected?

I realised that it was due to a trailing space after the character name. I don't remember putting one there, but I was able to delete one as a test. I hope you weren't using it for anything.

My light-cavalry Grazelander gained Devotion(deity) at the battle of Pennel Ford, which as expected boosted his Yu-Kargzant devotion from 60% to 70%. I assume that this is the usual result, but in dice and paper character generation I have sometimes taken this as 60% with another deity and sacrificed pow to gain rune points as an initiate of a second (allied/friendly) cult. Some cults (such as Uleria) encourage this practise and may rely on co-initiates for a significant portion of their worship.

Will you be able to support second cults in future versions of the application?

On 8/12/2024 at 10:40 AM, Byll said:

My light-cavalry Grazelander gained Devotion(deity) at the battle of Pennel Ford, which as expected boosted his Yu-Kargzant devotion from 60% to 70%. I assume that this is the usual result, but in dice and paper character generation I have sometimes taken this as 60% with another deity and sacrificed pow to gain rune points as an initiate of a second (allied/friendly) cult. Some cults (such as Uleria) encourage this practise and may rely on co-initiates for a significant portion of their worship.

Will you be able to support second cults in future versions of the application?

The application already supports second cults, which can be added when in edit mode. That will need to be done after character generation is complete. 

• Thanks 1

If a character is wearing a leather hauberk under another hauberk e.g. heavy leather, the app gives the total armour value in chest and abdomen as that of the first armour equipped (2 or 1, rather than 3). It can be adjusted by giving the heavy leather armour a +1 enhancement, but this might be misinterpreted later, if you forget why it's there.

On 8/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Gamesmeister said:

The application already supports second cults, which can be added when in edit mode. That will need to be done after character generation is complete. 

Loving this tool - it's going to be so useful!

Where the second cult is a subcult (Adventurous and Thunderous) the rune points should be pooled under Orlanth as I understand.

There is an issue with inspiration of Spirit Combat. After the first roll against spirit combat in the spirit combat section the inspiration drops off.   If you roll from the skill list the inspiration sticks with the skill (but again drops off the spirit combat section).