Yay! I have completed my Italian BRP collection!

smiorgan

I've got them all! The little Italian BASIC booklets that were published by Stratelibri in the 1990s when Chaosium had just stopped publishing Elric! supplements and when nobody could foretell the d100 renaissance.

For those who don't know about them here are the titles of the little series:

BASIC - Il gioco di ruolo universale. An Italian translation (sometimes more an adaptation) of the original BRP booklet + the original Magic World rules from Worlds of Wonder. 2 scenarios, which are the translations of the scenarios from the BRP booklet and from Magic World.

BASIC - West. An Italian original. This is straight western adventure, with just a hint of Spaghetti western (in an Italian rpg one would have expected more of it). 3 scenarios, which look like good fun. Major drawback: nothing on American natives. As the author says "it would have been impossible to do them justice in such a short space".

BASIC - Egitto. An Italian original. Adventures in the land and times of the Pharaoh. With Egyptian ritual magic system, creatures and 3 scenarios and a decent amount of setting info. Perhaps the most ambitious book of the series. It would have benefited of a higher page count (e.g. the magic system is cool but sketchy).

BASIC- Dinosauri. An Italian original. Dinosaurs! This is basically Jurassic Park / Lost World with a few clever twists. You can plug in your Egyptians and cow-boys as lost communities in the lost world mini-setting. Add super-sapient aliens and dinosaur-men and you have a really over-the-top setting for pulp-style action. In case you need them you have stats for Godzilla and King Kong. It has 3 scenarios linked in a mini-campaign.

BASIC- Giocare Alien. The Alien movies setting. Officially licensed. Too bad this is the shortest of the series. It was licensed as promotional merchandising for Alien IV and appeared in a rpg magazine. It has one customizable scenario. It is the kind of combat-heavy spaceship-crawl you might expect.

All in all a fun little series.

Edited by smiorgan

I eagerly await your English translation of the entire series. You can begin with Dinosauri. ;)

I wish I could. Who knows... First, I'd like to find the time to play them with the kids...then I might think of translating them.

BTW, there are also a few cool French BaSIC mini-supplements in the same vein that were published in the CASUS BELLI magazine...(one is Mousquetaires et Sorcellerie- Musketeers and Sorcery).

• 2 months later...

BASIC- Dinosauri. An Italian original. Dinosaurs! This is basically Jurassic Park / Lost World with a few clever twists. You can plug in your Egyptians and cow-boys as lost communities in the lost world mini-setting. Add super-sapient aliens and dinosaur-men and you have a really over-the-top setting for pulp-style action. In case you need them you have stats for Godzilla and King Kong. It has 3 scenarios linked in a mini-campaign.

Hi! I'm Yuri Abietti, author of Basic Dinosauri! I was just jumping around on the web when I stumbled upon your mini-review and I must say it brought back a lot of memories! It was the 1997 and I was just 26 years old. I finished writing the sourcebook while I was in vacation in Rome (I live in Milan, northern italy) and I just bought my first Motorola cell phone. Different times, indeed.

I just want to say "hi". I'm happy that somebody still remembers and wants to play those old RPGs and I'm flattered by your positive comment! Thank you very much and keep playing!

Yuri

Hi! I'm Yuri Abietti, author of Basic Dinosauri! I was just jumping around on the web when I stumbled upon your mini-review and I must say it brought back a lot of memories! It was the 1997 and I was just 26 years old. I finished writing the sourcebook while I was in vacation in Rome (I live in Milan, northern italy) and I just bought my first Motorola cell phone. Different times, indeed.

I just want to say "hi". I'm happy that somebody still remembers and wants to play those old RPGs and I'm flattered by your positive comment! Thank you very much and keep playing!

Yuri

Your English is excellent, Yuri. There are a number of gamers who would happily use those settings -if there was a good translation. Hint, hint. :)

I've got them all! The little Italian BASIC booklets that were published by Stratelibri in the 1990s

Here a mention is made to a couple other (licensed?) mini-settings that were published on the same rpg magazine on which BASIC- Giocare Alien was originally published.

Sverre, I think the time has come. Either we open an Italian section for this forum, or we re-route all of this to the Alephtar forums (which will damn me to very boring daily anti-spam sweeping sessions).

By the way, for those who do not know him, Yuri is also a columnist on the #1 Italian magazine about PC games, GMC!

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Your English is excellent, Yuri. There are a number of gamers who would happily use those settings -if there was a good translation. Hint, hint. :)

I should check who owns the rights for that original italian material right now... An english translation, maybe in .pdf format would be fun to make. :)

Cowboys vs. dinosaurs vs. ancient Egyptians. Sounds like a lost worlds campaign to me! ;D

I've always wanted to run a campaign inspired by a diorama pictured in a model-building magazine I once read. It depicted a 1920s archeologist opening a tomb in King Tut fashion. Only what's inside isn't a sarcophagus but a 12-foot-tall golden mech, sculpted in appropriately old Egyptian styling. Obviously, the ancients were more technologically advanced than previously believed. ;)

I think that Egyptian Magic could be pretty cool...perhaps reworked into an 'Astounding Adventures' scenario (ie Curse of the Mummy), or perhaps possibly in a 'Secrets of Cairo' Cthulhu setting.

In any case Egyptian sorcery would be a cool system to have in my GMs bag of tricks

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yuri

Ciao Yuri!

Great that you chimed in! We are exactly of the same age. It's good to remember those days. Even if I don't remember your face, I guess we have seen each other and probably spoken in Stratelibri's shop in Milan.

Andrea

Edited by smiorgan

Ciao Yuri!

Great that you chimed in! We are exactly of the same age. It's good to remember those days. Even if I don't remember your face, I guess we have seen each other and probably spoken in Stratelibri's shop in Milan.

Andrea

It's very likely :)