Blood Tide vs MRQ/MRQII Pirates.

Darkholme

Bloodtide offers more detail and history when it comes to the historical setting. It also offers Voudou magic too. The magical setting for Bloodtide also has a sorcerous conspiracy, various creatures and monsters, some derived from folklore and cryptozoology, and a scenario. You need the BGB rules with it to get the full use, though. :)  

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I've been incorporating Blood Tide into my MW campaign and it takes very little tweaking. The hardest part is using the Stunts features in a Magic heavy setting. IMO you have to be careful with natural abilities that come close to spell like abilities.

Also, IMO, some of the Stunts are a bit over powered as is, but are easily tweaked.

Its a dang good supplement to add though and can really help expand your campaign. Just FYI, aot of the book is region specific ,dealing with earth pirate references,history, and locations. It took a little work to adjust that to MWs Southern Reaches but I suppose it's like that for every nonspecific supplement. It's loads of fun and worth the money for my campaign.

• Like 2

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Oh. That's pretty interesting. Obviously MRQ Pirates is more compatible with RQ6; how compatible is Blood Tide with Magic World? Is Magic World a good replacement for the BGB when it comes to blood tide?

You can use MW instead of the BGB, but you may have some minor difficulty interpreting stunts that use skill difficulties (difficult, average and easy etc). On the plus side you can use MW sorcery as European sorcery within the limitations imposed by the setting. Voudou is the main magic system for the setting and it is detailed in the Blood tide book itself. :)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Oh. Odd. Where is the section on task difficulties in MW? I can't find it. Does it not exist? If not, I could just refer to the BRP Quickstart rules for difficulties, on page 18 though. Right? Are there any other subsystems you can think of that MW is missing that I will need to look elsewhere for, and if so, are they located in the BRP quickstart rules?

Basically, if I can avoid buying the BGB for one or two spot rules, and it will work with a combination of what I've got and what's free, blood tide looks more appetizing. I currently have 3 d100 Corebooks as it is (Mongoose' Legend, RQ6, MW), plus my girlfriend has CoC 5.6. If all I need to find are a couple of freely available spot rules, I can always print those out and shove them in the book. :)

The BRP quickstart rules on P18 are what is missing from MW, and needed for Blood Tide.  So you should be able to run Blood tide with that, me hearty, arrrrrrrrrrrr. And you will need your girlfriend's CoC rules for SAN. If you have any other hassles at running a pirate campaign then we're always here to offer help and advice. Now I be goin' off to splice me mainbrace, me bucko!  ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It wouldn't be too hard to port over, no more than porting any Classic BRP game over to MRQ D100 SRD BRP games. 

Personally I would just buy 'Pirates & Dragons' as it already uses the base Renaissance system, and you can throw out the fantasy elements if you want a more traditional psuedo-historic setting

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

A stunt in BT is a type of Power. You pick out your stunts, and when you use them you spend PP to activate them. For example:

Friends in High and Low Places lets you spend 5pp to discover someone you know in a crowd or location. That person is friendly towards the character and will help them out of a situation.

Banging Heads allows the character to grapple two targets and force them to make a STR vs. CON roll on the resistance table. If any of the targets loses, they are stunned for one round, KO on a Special success. 

On 8/10/2014 at 5:33 PM, Darkholme said:

Oh. Odd. Where is the section on task difficulties in MW? I can't find it. Does it not exist? If not, I could just refer to the BRP Quickstart rules for difficulties, on page 18 though. Right? Are there any other subsystems you can think of that MW is missing that I will need to look elsewhere for, and if so, are they located in the BRP quickstart rules?

Basically, if I can avoid buying the BGB for one or two spot rules, and it will work with a combination of what I've got and what's free, blood tide looks more appetizing. I currently have 3 d100 Corebooks as it is (Mongoose' Legend, RQ6, MW), plus my girlfriend has CoC 5.6. If all I need to find are a couple of freely available spot rules, I can always print those out and shove them in the book. :)

By the way, the BGB softcover is back on the Chaosium website...

http://www.chaosium.com/basic-roleplaying-softcover/

I doubt it has been reprinted. Maybe it's some remaining stock. Get it while you can...

• Like 2