South of Pamaltela

Manu

Hi,

I'm reading (slowly, I know) the GoG. And sometimes I'm confused.

For instance, the South of Pamaltela is a very hot place, even the water is on fire. But also, it is said that it is from the south that Chaos is invading the continent. Is Chaos coming from the fire?

No it's coming from the Nargan Desert, see the map on p541, entry on p583 and box on p588. Also the Mythic maps section. Sandy discusses the details about how the chaos gets there in Forgotten Secrets of Glorantha.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 11/27/2015, 3:57:07, Manu said:

For instance, the South of Pamaltela is a very hot place, even the water is on fire. But also, it is said that it is from the south that Chaos is invading the continent. Is Chaos coming from the fire?

The fire comes from the Sky, when generat separated Earth and Sky, he knocked the Sky off its axis and the north part moved up a bit while the southern part moved down so that it touches the earth. The fires of the Sky flow down and fall on the earth, causing an intolerably hot area, part of the Hero Plane, with a desert on the edges.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

31 minutes ago, soltakss said:

The fire comes from the Sky, when generat separated Earth and Sky, he knocked the Sky off its axis and the north part moved up a bit while the southern part moved down so that it touches the earth. The fires of the Sky flow down and fall on the earth, causing an intolerably hot area, part of the Hero Plane, with a desert on the edges.

That's the explanation I was looking for!

The World of Glorantha description in HeroQuest Glorantha starts with

... The Sky overhead is an off center bowl ...

Never catched, what that means, but now I understand. Is this in the Guide to Glorantha? Or is there a different source?

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

Never catched, what that means, but now I understand. Is this in the Guide to Glorantha? Or is there a different source?

The two hinged supports at the gates of Theya and Rausa remain unbroken, and the Sky Dome tilts north and south seasonally, going a little further south than north. According to the Doraddi, Pamalt had the Old Gods tilt the sky to pour down fire on the Artmali when they had been corrupted by Chaos during the Gods War. When this was achieved, Pamalt pushed the sky back into place but it continued rocking to and fro. The Firefall created the Nargan Desert. This is described in the Guide.

The best references to the Firefall are in the Guide on p.642 and 691.  Also the Nargan Desert reference on p.696.

Very different story in Genertela though regarding the Sky Dome's rocking.  There it was Umath crashing into and breaking the North Pillar which set the dome rocking north, and then it got shoved back to the south.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Very different story in Genertela though regarding the Sky Dome's rocking.  There it was Umath crashing into and breaking the North Pillar which set the dome rocking north, and then it got shoved back to the south.

There's rarely a single mythic explanation, unless the God Learner Monomyth is the source.

11 hours ago, TRose said:

I remember reading in Ancient Medieval times people thought if you went South far enough , it would become to hot  also and things would catch fire.

I haven't been to Australia, but ...

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here