Daryli Godspeaker

Dr. Mabuse

I am about to run Borderlands for the first time.

The cult of the Priest of Ronegarth, Daryli Godspeaker, is left open for the GM.

I am not sure what cult to pick.

The player characters are mainly Orlanth worshippers. I feel that picking Orlanth will make that cult (and the characters) too strong in the campaign.

What cult did you use?

I always assumed that because Daryli is the household priest of Duke Raus, therefore he is actually a civilized sort of shaman. Raus and family are ancestor worshippers - while they are culturally Lunar, they are not necessarily formal members of Lunar cults. 

• Like 4

I wouldn't put him as an Ancestor Priest, as he isn't part of the Raus family. Duke Raus is the head of the Raus Family in the area.

Seven Mothers ties Raus too tightly to the Lunar establishment, which is fine if that's what the GM wants in the campaign.

A Lightbringer might be too far in the other direction, thumbing Raus' nose at the Lunars.

So, a Yelmic/Earth priest would make sense, Lodril is a good choice as it is a peasant god, so good for Raus' farmers and can claim connections to the Agimori and Oakfed if required.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

22 hours ago, soltakss said:

I wouldn't put him as an Ancestor Priest, as he isn't part of the Raus family. Duke Raus is the head of the Raus Family in the area.

Well, I guess Daryli could be part of the family too - not part of the Raus main line obviously but with enough consanguinity to serve in the role household priest/civilized shaman. 

However, Lodril is an excellent fit for Daryli, who according to the Referee's Book is supposed to be a non-controversial figure not meant to ruffle anyone's feathers (except Pinfeather's - ha ha).  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MOB said:

Well, I guess Daryli could be part of the family too - not part of the Raus main line obviously but with enough consanguinity to serve in the role household priest/civilized shaman. 

However, Lodril is an excellent fit for Daryli, who according to the Referee's Book is supposed to be a non-controversial figure not meant to ruffle anyone's feathers (except Pinfeather's - ha ha).  

It would likely be the main god of Raus' allotment of Red land settlers methinks.

One slight problem with Lodril. If your player like to abuse spell( And  what player don't) Earthwarm can be a very nasty  spell unless some one puts down a few houserules. One point of Earthwarm raising the temp by 5 degree C in a 50 x50 meter area  is not much.  But  getting 8 points of Earthwarm and raising the temp by 40 C on a warm day can make thing warm on your bad guys.

8 points of divine magic to make some people feel a bit uncomfortable? I can live with that as a game balance thing.

After all, to feel cooler, all they have to do is to move out of the area of the spell. Increasing the ground temperature by 40 degrees Celsius doesn't even make it painful, just very warm. It isn't as though you have opened up a lava pool.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

And if you're running HQG like myself, if he had the Earthwarm feat, I'd just identify whether he's trying to keep the crops from freezing, or trying to encourage foraging traskars to move along, or inflict pain on the attacking Tusk Riders, and adjust Difficulty accordingly. ;)

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2

Prax is already a desert so a temp of 38 C Or (100F) is not unheard of Suddenly raising the temp to to 78 c (  or 172 F) is going to be more then a little uncomfortable. Anyplace they have metal is going cause burns fast. If barefoot their feet will quickly blister.. Its hot enough to fry an egg and its in a 50 meter by 50 meter area.