Put your miscellaneous Glorantha thoughts here.

Ainda

Got some cool ideas/discoveries you want to communicate? Opinions not expansive enough to have their own thread? Campaign/character/encounter hooks, but don't have them fully fleshed out? Post them here.

I think there is a cult that started in Dorastar with Ralzakark's broo, which claims to be devoted to a cowed Storm Bull, illuminated and friendly to the Lunar Way. It is primarily a missionary rather than martial cult, and is gaining popularity in Fronela.

Some Orlanthi clans get all their magic from their ancestors. When the Heortling mission came to them, they rebuffed them, saying that the gods were no help to them in the Darkness, and that they would not submit to them. These clans are few in number, as the Heortlings did not take kindly to being rejected.

Some Malkioni hold that the gods are sentient, and that they are a result of the Invisible God completely purging all contradictions from within themselves. These contradictions manifested as sentient beings, and plague the world to this day. They and all other internal contradictions must be beat into the underworld, if there is ever to be peace.

Pure ancestor worshipping Orlanthi:

Heort himself was a shaman and mainly a spirit user. The Theyalan missionaries included Heortlings and Esrolians, and members of other peoples on the Unity Council, although they would leave the approach of a new group still stuck in the Greater Darkness aftermath with their most suitable party members (meaning that they'd leave their uz guides and their elf companions behind). More often than not these missionaries married into the group.

On the occasion of finding an intact group of ancestor worshippers they would gladly have lent assistance to these practices, IMO. And if those ancestors had worshipped or at least propitiated gods, they would have taught such a group how to do so, too.

If you check the Dawn Sites in the Guide (p.710), the Deleskarings of Berthestead could be said to worship their founder and ancestor Deleskar over any Orlanthi gods. The Balurgans might qualify, too. If you leave the area covered by these descriptions further west, you can have all kinds of weird groups that were discovered later on. There is also room for groups hiding amid these survival sites for some time before being discovered by the dark trolls acting as the main scouts, though they would have had to hide extremely well to avoid detection (and inclusion in places like Urar Bar).

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Power crystals should have a rune affinity with the god whose blood they belong to.  Then only those with the same rune affinity can use them.  This would help longer campaigns because Chaosium handed out power crystals like candy in the old days.  This way, most power crystals would be for sale and good ones, usable by the party, worth their weight in gold and far rarer.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Power crystals should have a rune affinity with the god whose blood they belong to.  Then only those with the same rune affinity can use them.  This would help longer campaigns because Chaosium handed out power crystals like candy in the old days.  This way, most power crystals would be for sale and good ones, usable by the party, worth their weight in gold and far rarer.

This is a nice idea both for HQ and the new RQ Glorantha.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Power crystals should have a rune affinity with the god whose blood they belong to. 

HQG p.48: "...the petrified blood of dead and wounded gods provide magic crystals. These crystals provide magic from a Rune that might differ from the hero’s own Runes. The players or GM should give the crystal a colorful, but enigmatic name, like Arroin’s Tears, Esrolian Ruby, Smoke Rock, Snake Crystal, Barnablood, Ernalda Tears, Gata Save, Grandpa’s Aid, Second Wind, Star Tip, etc., and assign it a Rune."

It's already in HQG.  And it explicitly allows you to gain magic for something that you do not necessarily have directly via yourself or your god/spirits. 

Personally, I'd probably add some level of bonus/penalty in trying to use a crystal of an opposing rune, but the basics are there.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Power crystals should have a rune affinity with the god whose blood they belong to...

I like this!  But I'd also use a rune affinity relating to the event that caused the god to bleed, or even to the being/weapon/etc causing it...

20 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Then only those with the same rune affinity can use them. 

I like this less-well... I prefer the character to be able to diversify by way of such items; so long as it isn't something forbidden by their own god, of course!

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

HQG p.48: "...the petrified blood of dead and wounded gods provide magic crystals. These crystals provide magic from a Rune that might differ from the hero’s own Runes. The players or GM should give the crystal a colorful, but enigmatic name, like Arroin’s Tears, Esrolian Ruby, Smoke Rock, Snake Crystal, Barnablood, Ernalda Tears, Gata Save, Grandpa’s Aid, Second Wind, Star Tip, etc., and assign it a Rune."

It's already in HQG.  And it explicitly allows you to gain magic for something that you do not necessarily have directly via yourself or your god/spirits. 

Personally, I'd probably add some level of bonus/penalty in trying to use a crystal of an opposing rune, but the basics are there.

the intent was to deny use of the power crystal, not give them even MORE advantages for having 200 points of power crystals.

• Like 1

the intent was to deny use of the power crystal

If you're doing a RQ style game with random treasure, I could see a need for that.  But personally I find it far more interesting to explore the implications of using a crystal derived from a different rune (e.g. acquiring personality traits/flaws of that rune, acquiring unexpected foes, attracting the wrong type of attention on a heroquest, etc.).

If you want to limit crystal accumulation, give them a maintenance requirement - you need to re-attune them regularly, possibly more so if they are less compatible with your own runes. That way, a character might own 200 points worth of crystal power, but could access only a fraction thereof (and less if he also chooses to use crystals with active, focussed effects).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

If you're doing a RQ style game with random treasure, I could see a need for that.  But personally I find it far more interesting to explore the implications of using a crystal derived from a different rune (e.g. acquiring personality traits/flaws of that rune, acquiring unexpected foes, attracting the wrong type of attention on a heroquest, etc.).

In my experience, most magic items were gained by defeating foes who used them, rather than randomly rolling treasure.

If a band of PCs defeats one NPC group every 4 sessions, with each NPC group having one magic item, then over a weekly campaign lasting 4 years the PCs get 52 magic items. As PCs become more powerful they are met with more powerful NPCs who might have more magic items, so the PCs get more items. Sure, they can give them to the temple or sell them, but they will accumulate useful items.

MP Storage devices such as POW Storage Crystals are very useful and PCs can accumulate them very quickly, but Powered Crystals are rare and were restricted so that each character could only have one attuned at any one time. Having a different power per rune works well in HQ, but would need some work in RQ to assign a mechanic to each rune.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here