BRP Essentials Status

Guest Vile Traveller

Guest Vile Traveller

As per MOB's post that "The new Mythic Iceland is based on BRP Essentials, not the other way round." - are there any updates on the status of BRPE? Format, contents, publication date, artwork, paper quality, etc. etc. etc.  :)

Guest Vile Traveller

Well, not really - or not any more. Rick's post is why I assumed that BRP Essentials would be some kind of distillation of RQ7, Mythic Iceland, and possibly other books we don't know about. If, however, Mythic Iceland is actually based on BRP Essentials, I would have thought that the latter must already be complete, and surely would come out first?

Edited by Vile

5 hours ago, Vile said:

Well, not really - or not any more. Rick's post is why I assumed that BRP Essentials would be some kind of distillation of RQ7, Mythic Iceland, and possibly other books we don't know about. If, however, Mythic Iceland is actually based on BRP Essentials, I would have thought that the latter must already be complete, and surely would come out first?

I could see it existing as an internal draft, very-rough & maybe even being a mix of marked-up BGB + other document(s) and needing a LOT of layout/edit/etc work; enough for those who know it, to write from.  But for the publisher to decide to prioritize the Mythic Iceland title, before BRPE...

Of course, I am entirely unaffiliated, so that's just a hypothetical case...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 minutes ago, g33k said:

I could see it existing as an internal draft, very-rough & maybe even being a mix of marked-up BGB + other document(s) and needing a LOT of layout/edit/etc work; enough for those who know it, to write from.  But for the publisher to decide to prioritize the Mythic Iceland title, before BRPE...

Of course, I am entirely unaffiliated, so that's just a hypothetical case...

All I need say is there is some very good deductive work here...

BRP Essentials will be around 64-96 pages, probably, and have a very nice layout. It will be on nice paper and in softcover format. We don't see it as needing a lot of new art, and it won't be out by Gen Con this year. We do have someone working on it. 

• Like 7

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Guest Vile Traveller

64-96 pages seems like a reasonably sized book! Sounds encouraging (and no, it doesn't need a lot of new art). :)

Edited by Vile

A slim book about 100 pages would suit me for a generic ruleset, so this could be in the ballpark if it gets produced as a hard cover. Otherwise I suspect I may only get it in pdf format out of interest.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 2 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 7:45 PM, Rick Meints said:

BRP Essentials will be around 64-96 pages, probably, and have a very nice layout. It will be on nice paper and in softcover format. We don't see it as needing a lot of new art, and it won't be out by Gen Con this year. We do have someone working on it. 

I did not hear 'BRP Essentials' mentioned in the GenCon podcast I listened to. Is this project still a go? 

I know that the focus is on setting specific games, but the idea of a really basic, compact BRP was kind of appealing.... 

On 17/08/2016 at 0:41 PM, smiorgan said:

I did not hear 'BRP Essentials' mentioned in the GenCon podcast I listened to. Is this project still a go? 

I know that the focus is on setting specific games, but the idea of a really basic, compact BRP was kind of appealing.... 

As far as I understand, the project is still a go...

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/

Indeed, that piece of news sounds to consider the BRP system as a matter of fact: " Complete rules included, based on new RuneQuest and BRP Essentials rules."

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 1