Goldfang's grotto

Noita

Pavis. R-87 Goldfang's Grotto. Riverside Inn. Known for unique entertainment.

Goldfang is a male Baboon, who wears a Pelorian lady's bonnet and a different dress each night. The establishment puts on many a risqué show for it's punters and is a haunt of Duck courtesans, tailless Newtlings and buffed centaurs. The Gimp is a hooded Mostali, who serves skin curdling drinks to those that dare.

What else goes down here? I have a pc who is about to take part in a backroom gambling match, the stakes or the game so far unknown.

Have any of you ever visited?

• Like 3

"Tassels" a diminutive  Birch Dryad from Rist does a set on Fireday where she sheds her bark to the accompaniment of a runner pan-pipe band. No one knows where her tree is, but there are rumours that she's been seen sneaking into Hucipites house (S76)

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Byll said:

"Tassels" a diminutive  Birch Dryad from Rist does a set on Fireday where she sheds her bark to the accompaniment of a runner pan-pipe band. No one knows where her tree is, but there are rumours that she's been seen sneaking into Hucipites house (S76)

Awesome :)

One of the long-standing regulars is Grunter, a plain looking man with a barrel chest and enormous shoulders. His conversation runs from non-committal "Urgh..." through interested "Urgh?" and amused "Ergh" to surprised "Urgh!" or commiserative "OOrgh". He rents a room in Old Town and does deliveries and odd jobs for the New Pavis dwarves, and sometimes for the Garhound family. No one knows where he comes from or what his background is. He often seems to lend a friendly ear and a mug of ale to those bringing nothing but a hard luck story back from the Rubble or the Wastes. Rarely, he disappears from the Grotto for a few weeks at a stretch, and other regulars remark how it seems "Quiet without old Grunter..."

• Like 2

Every once in a while, some woman comes storming in, demanding the return of her dress.

You see, Goldfang wears a different dress EVERY NIGHT -- never repeating.

Ever.

And sometimes, his legitimate sources run dry, or "cash flow problems" mean that they won't deliver the dresses until he catches up payment.  Then Goldfang buys from whoever's selling a dress cheap (which usually means someone who grabbed a dress or two from some local wash-line, to buy a pint or three).

All the ladies in the area know where a missing dress has probably ended up.

• Like 4

C'es ne pas un .sig

Sherli Sumera, a Lhankor Mhy apprentice, looks in most nights offering reasonably priced reading (and translation) of written artefacts (3 'lines' for 1 clack), she also does appraisals but generally needs to take the item to the temple for reference, or make a detailed sketch of it for an extra 1L on top of her commission. Goldfang will give her the use of one of the snugs for a modicum of privacy in her consultations.

She is from an old Pavic family and has ambitions to see the world (she has as much as admitted she took the beard as her 'best chance of getting out of Real City'). As yet, she has not strayed far from New Pavis, since she is understandably cautious about putting her faith in the sort of people who travel to and from Pavis. So far all the Lunars she has met have been obnoxious, but on the other hand they have been quite well to do, so she plans to stay on the fence in the culture wars.

She was originally brought in to curate Goldfang's couture collection and now maintains a set of illustrated scrolls indexed by colours of background and motif updated every week or two. In the notes she draws the dresses as if worn by women rather than baboons which presumably meets with Goldfang's approval. There is a rumour that she keeps a sketch book of bar life, which she makes available to respectable folk with an academic interest in the demi-monde. Some say she sketched the outlines for the racy murals that have recently been added the Grotto interiors.

• Like 3

Biggs, the Morokanth.  For a price, he can take anyone you deliver and make them vanish for a while, then later bring them back mostly-unharmed.

Kidnappers use him to conceal their victims while they negotiate with the families/guilds/etc; people who just need to lay really REALLY low for a while because they're being hunted... etc.

Biggs acts as an agent for a small clan of Morokanth, who hold the people as Herd-Men.  They see this as a form of (Waha-approved) "raiding".

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, g33k said:

Biggs, the Morokanth.  For a price, he can take anyone you deliver and make them vanish for a while, then later bring them back mostly-unharmed.

Kidnappers use him to conceal their victims while they negotiate with the families/guilds/etc; people who just need to lay really REALLY low for a while because they're being hunted... etc.

Biggs acts as an agent for a small clan of Morokanth, who hold the people as Herd-Men.  They see this as a form of (Waha-approved) "raiding".

Pretty sure Morokanth are banned from Pavis, aren't they? Perhaps his awakened Herd man is the go between or the Herd Man is Biggs. He supplies the herd man snaggers for the grill too...

1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

Pretty sure Morokanth are banned from Pavis, aren't they? Perhaps his awakened Herd man is the go between or the Herd Man is Biggs. He supplies the herd man snaggers for the grill too...

Cite?

As of "Pavis&Big Rubble" in the Gloranthan Classics (and thus, I presume, the original "Pavis" set) this wasn't the case.  Later books may have superseded that info...?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, g33k said:

Cite?

As of "Pavis&Big Rubble" in the Gloranthan Classics (and thus, I presume, the original "Pavis" set) this wasn't the case.  Later books may have superseded that info...?

Perusing my P&BR Classics book, I could only find one explicit reference to Morocanth, as an encounter type in the Rubble.  However, there is an ancillary bit on food and animal sellers that mentions both mock pork and herd men (p. 40-41).  I would think that Badside would be a place you could find one or two, preparing what little of the mock pork or other herd man cuts are sold within the walls.

It's also stated that live herd men aren't sold "within the aegis of the Pavis Royal Guard," but half a page away the implication is made that they can be bought, so obviously there would have to be a slaver or three around.  Of course, they could quite easily be in the Rubble or somewhere else outside the city gates.  In my game I had a few in Badside and a fairish contingent in the Rubble.

The presence of herd men in the meat market doesn't herald morokanth presence - one can safely assume that most of the meat marketed in Badside was raided from other clans or tribes. IIRC the meat market is dominated by Sable Riders, through their good relationship with the occupation forces (at least while specific individuals haven't worn out that initial good-will). Other than the sable riders, badside will have nomad outlaws from any tribe, possibly forming occasional raiding bands bringing some meat from other clans and tribes, including sables.

Given the Pavis need for meat, many an aging steed deemed uneatable by animal riders might get a decent price in Pavis. Nomads don't make sausages or similar obfuscations of meat provenance like pastries - Pavisites do.

I would look at Badside for individuals from tribes other than the Sables, the Unicorns and the Zebras first. The history of Farmers' Quarter shows that the animal nomad citizens of the walled part of New Pavis are especially trustworthy (for dirty nomads).

Speaking of Morokanth in Pavis - are there any among the Pol Joni? There will be a few in the warrior societies, like those led by a certain Sartarite swordmaster and wind lord.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Goldfangs is also famous for its gambling on fighting fish in the basement.  Of course that isn't the only fights you can bet on.  There a pit matches where rubble runners, snakes, troll beetles, savage dogs, roosters etc. fight each other while the clientelle gamble on the outcome.  Periodically there are cage fights where odd non-humans fight for rich prizes.  Ducks fight Morokanth or trollkin, newtlings, baboons etc.  It is a rare human who is allowed to compete, but back when New Pavis was only recently occupied , the Gimpys crew were forced into either performing in a gimp match for Lunar amusement or losing the bar.  They don't like to remember that episode, and nurse a grudge towards Sitzmag who organized the humiliating affair.  It is suggested that as far as the animal fights go, there is one thing you can rely on; the losers will wind up on the menu. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Goldfangs is also famous for its gambling on fighting fish in the basement.  Of course that isn't the only fights you can bet on.  There a pit matches where rubble runners, snakes, troll beetles, savage dogs, roosters etc. fight each other while the clientelle gamble on the outcome.  Periodically there are cage fights where odd non-humans fight for rich prizes.  Ducks fight Morokanth or trollkin, newtlings, baboons etc.  It is a rare human who is allowed to compete, but back when New Pavis was only recently occupied , the Gimpys crew were forced into either performing in a gimp match for Lunar amusement or losing the bar.  They don't like to remember that episode, and nurse a grudge towards Sitzmag who organized the humiliating affair.  It is suggested that as far as the animal fights go, there is one thing you can rely on; the losers will wind up on the menu. 

Fantastic. My pc will be gambling on fighting fish. 

• Like 1

'Restive' is an aged, wild-haired, shaggy-bearded former High Lama Rider who had a thing with a Ludoch and was away down the Zola Fel most of his life. Now he spends most days on the lunar bridge watching all the river traffic intently. Sometimes he is to be seen on the Zebra bridge or even on the Troll bridge (in company with the troll guards). At one time Lunar soldiers tired to harry him off the bridges but they have tired of it in the face of his persistence, indifference to pain and his constant disturbing mumbling. He seems to speak a multitude of languages but does not give away much about his interest in the River at Pavis, even to those that buy him drinks and treat him kindly. He always carries the handle end of a broken oar with strange runes carved on it. Goldfang lets him sleep on the roof of the Grotto because he has something to do with the supply of fighting fish from Teshnos.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:25 AM, Yelm's Light said:

Perusing my P&BR Classics book, I could only find one explicit reference to Morocanth, as an encounter type in the Rubble.  However, there is an ancillary bit on food and animal sellers that mentions both mock pork and herd men (p. 40-41).  I would think that Badside would be a place you could find one or two, preparing what little of the mock pork or other herd man cuts are sold within the walls.

It's also stated that live herd men aren't sold "within the aegis of the Pavis Royal Guard," but half a page away the implication is made that they can be bought, so obviously there would have to be a slaver or three around.  Of course, they could quite easily be in the Rubble or somewhere else outside the city gates.  In my game I had a few in Badside and a fairish contingent in the Rubble.

Pavis GTA has a "Morcanth are seen mugging drunks" event under "Day guard jobs in the city"

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, g33k said:

Cite?

Must be from the games I've played in. There's actually a picture of one by the main gate in the New Pavis book. In our games they were in the Big Rubble, Badside etc, just not in New Pavis. Some how it has become canon in my head :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, g33k said:

Huh.  Headcannons sound more WH40K to me..

That's iron mostali, not usually present in Pavis. They might provide some weird sort of entertainment on Flintnail nights, though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Joerg said:

That's iron mostali, not usually present in Pavis. They might provide some weird sort of entertainment on Flintnail nights, though.

Erm... Brass?  Cannon cult is Brass Mostali, isn't it? 

C'es ne pas un .sig

50 minutes ago, g33k said:

Erm... Brass?  Cannon cult is Brass Mostali, isn't it? 

Brass mostali produce the tubes, quicksilver mostali provide the boom, and iron mostali provide the lafette you direct at your foes.