Favorite Heroquests

azrooh

My party's going to be participating in their first heroquest soon, during a One Day celebration. I've got to decide which one (or two) they'll go through. Which are your favorites? How did they go when you ran/participated in them?

Where are you party from/based? That might affect the HeroQuests they would do. 

For Orlanthi, I'd do a Magical Weapon Quest, maybe Lightning Spear or Sandals of Darkness. 

For Praxians, perhaps Waha Rescues the Beasts.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The Feast of Beasts is one of my favourites. It's got a very straightforward premise. My players all got to hang out with the Goddesses, got boons from them and generally had a good time (until Branduin kicked off).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 minutes ago, Zit said:

Where can I find Heroquest examples ? To date I only have RQ supplements and the the GTG, so any recommendation would be helpful.

There are a number of HeroQuests on my site, but the links to other people's HeroQuests are probably out of date.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Sartar Kingdom of heroes has a giant one as he climax to the Coleman campaign, the heroes are to find Hofstaring Treeleaper and free him from his sorcerous imprisonment in a Lunar Hell. At the start of the campaign The Feast of Beasts is an annual heroquest of the Earth Temple and during the ceremony the worshippers cross over to Daleel, the home of Ernalda. 

Sartar Companion has The Lawstaff HeroQuest. The Law Staff Quest is a famous Orlanthi heroquest whereby the Justice of Orlanth may be clearly discerned. 

Pavis GtA has Bad Moon Rising, which has an excellent HeroQuest reacting Umath and the Emperor aka the Naming Contest. It has Cool Masks you can download and wear.

HQ Glorantha has a large one in the back with a Picture of it on the cover. You go to the Underworld to meet an Earth Goddess.

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Where are you party from/based? That might affect the HeroQuests they would do. 

They're Sartarites currently based in Dorastor. The two Orlanth worshipers will probably take the 'lead roles,' a god-talker of Thunderous and a weaponthane of Allfather. The other three worship Elmal, Humakt, and Kolat.

45 minutes ago, Zit said:

Where can I find Heroquest examples ? To date I only have RQ supplements and the the GTG, so any recommendation would be helpful.

King of Sartar has a whole bunch of myths that could be run as heroquests.

Though not necessarily all canonical there's a whole group of heroquests in Arcane Lore.  http://www.chaosium.com/arcane-lore-pdf/

I ran the Crossroads Quest from there recently as a station/step when my player's were trying to get out of a Trickster's gut (he Swallowed them to help them escape from a Lunar stockade).

There's a lot of material in the Book of Heortling Mythology, Glorious ReAscent of Yelm, and Entekosiad which could be turned into heroquests.  Pdf's of all are available on Chaosium site in the Stafford Library.

I've run part of the heroquest from HQG, but my players are still gathering information on how to try to find Orane.

• Like 1

If you can find a copy, then Tales of the Reaching Moon issue 7 was a "Heroquest Special", and contains a few heroquests as well as lots of discussions about how to play them (before the time of the HQ ruleset).

I'm starting to compile my own list of where various heroquests are documented, since from time to time I ask the same question myself about where to find examples.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2017 at 8:52 PM, azrooh said:

They're Sartarites currently based in Dorastor. The two Orlanth worshipers will probably take the 'lead roles,' a god-talker of Thunderous and a weaponthane of Allfather. The other three worship Elmal, Humakt, and Kolat.

Communities often organize One Day heroquests to obtain magic to face the challenges of the coming year. So what does the community feel threatens? Are they Riskland settlers? Then possibly fighting off the Narangrosings to gain Telmori killing magic. Or perhaps they need to grow more crops. How about the Bull Taming?

The real asset here is that the gain from the PCs heroquest can be directly used when that challenge appears.