Masks of Nyarlathotep 2018

AJ The Ronin

From the Yog-Sothoth thread:

Upcoming releases mentioned are

A Cold Fire Within (pulp)
Curse of Seven
Children of Fear
Lost Legends (pulp)

Mike also mentioned a setting that I think he said is titled Shadows over Stillwater, but I'm not positive about the location name.

The first four are campaign books. They also plan to work on the Lovecraft Country books.

• Like 3

This is great news !!!

Yes it's totally not necessary, but there are a few 'Grand Campaigns' that are always raved about. These campaigns are what brings the punters, even if they aren't particularly after the pure Lovecraftian experience. 

Masks of Nylathotep is pretty much on the top of the list, followed by Beyond The Mountains of Madness and Horror On The Orient Express.

All of these campaigns made current in CoC 7E format makes sense, especially if there is advice on how to spice up the action flow for Pulp Cthulhu rules, considering they are all in the more pulpy spectrum of CoC gaming.

I don't need another edition of MoN, but I'll probably be one of the first to order it to see it done with a mix of old and new artwork, especially some colourful pieces and in a thick hardcover.

I like the mention of several other releases, some of which are Pulp Cthulhu. Alternating Pulp Cthulhu releases with Lovecraft Country releases is a good thing, as they both are polar opposites in flavour, with Lovecraft Country appealing to Purist play.

All this news sounds great to me!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 minutes ago, nclarke said:

Chaosium said no more Kickstarters - they learned a lesson. PDf in late 2017, print in 2018 easy.

True, there is a proviso on this: 

"We won't be Kickstarting any releases in the Call of Cthulhu line going forward (or RuneQuest either).

We still might use Kickstarter for special projects, and for our boardgames line. Our new Miskatonic U boardgame, for example.

MOB - Chaosium Inc."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jongjom is correct.

We do not feel the time, energy, and ongoing workload from running a Kickstarter is worth it for products we merely want to be awesome and sell as soon as possible. 

Of course, if we have a special product or group of products that we cannot accurately gauge the demand for, we may very well run a Kickstarter for those. Chaosium had not released a boardgame in over 20 years so we thought it best to Kickstart Khan of Khans. We were not sure how much demand there would be for the 2nd edition of RuneQuest, so we did the RuneQuest Classic Kickstarter. We feel Kickstarters are for special products and special events, not every book we publish. We'd rather just publish more books.

• Like 8

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Good call about Kickstarter. If Masks of Nyarlathotep is done well, it should sell well without the need for a Kickstarter anyway. 

If we get a full colour MoN with handouts, will it come in a box set? 

Will there also be plans to do an update of Beyond The Mountains of Madness, in the pipeline?

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

If you wanted to add a fourth in the distant future, then why not make one that centres on Cthulhu itself, for once?  

It is odd how the eponymous character in the game's title hasn't really had much of a showing over the past 36 years...

(Hey, that was my 1000th post...)

2 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Well, its these sorts of product that I am interested in, if that is any incentive. Masks, Mountains and the Orient Express are the 'big three'. 

Sure thing, but we'll be interspersing any major reprints with plenty of new product.

• Like 2

And also if MoN is being re released using the 7E rules set in glorious full colour, please please please make the  hand outs exactly that...hand outs. I have seen a lot of the new stuff claiming to be hand outs but their not hand outs as they had some key information that you didnt want to share with the players. I know it would be extra work but I would love it if there where 2 copies of a map for example. One copy with the relevant key information for the keeper and another for the players to look at. I know this would drive up the cost but that is one of the things that makes CoC so enjoyable to play.

• Like 1