Monster Stats: Cloverfield Monster and the Parasites

If you somehow managed to not see the film yet, please avert your eyes. This is full of SPOILERS.

Yes, it is over the top and probably the road to ruin for your campaign, but I dissected stats of the creatures seen in the 2008 film "Cloverfield" found here and translated them to Basic Roleplaying Rules.

Without further ado, I am pleased to introduce "Clover" (head to tail length 365.8 meters and weight 5806.4 metric tons) and his accompanying 2,000 parasites. Of course, no good can come from actually trying to fight Clover unless you have access to a neutron bomb. As in the film, most of the "interaction" with humans is with the parasites, who are relatively easy to kill one-on-one, but pack a wallop if they manage to bite you and/or if they are acting in concert.

hasbro_cloverfield_monster_toy_.jpg

Clover, Large Scale Aggressor and Reality Video Star

Characteristics

STR 640

CON 320

SIZ 640

INT 5

POW 14

DEX 10

Move 10

HP 480

Damage Bonus: +20D6

Armor: 100-point skin

Attacks: Stomp 50%, 20D6+Damage Bonus

Bite 45%, 20D10+1/2 Damage Bonus

Skills:

Evade Heavy Artillery 50%, Get Enraged 75%, Induce Shaky Video Camera Filming 90%, Listen 20%, Sense 20%, Spot 20%, Terrify Yuppies Witless 90%

Sanity Loss

1/1D8 (and you never get used to seeing it)

Hit Locations

D20 Result

:rolleyes:

Notes: I addition to being able to move relatively quickly and use the cover of buildings (35-55 armor points in the concrete and steel canyons of Manhattan), the creature has a high resistance to projectile weaponry. Shells from M-1 tanks, AT-4 rockets, 80 Mk 82 bombs and other high powered ordnance failed to do anything other than aggravate the creature. In the film, it appears to have been killed in a passing reference in the final helicopter scene to the HAMMER-DOWN Protocol, which apparently sacrificed Manhattan to kill the creature.

250px-Cloverfield_Parasite.jpg

Clover Parasites, Human Scale Parasites

Characteristic Average

STR 2D6............7

CON 3D6............10-11

SIZ 1D6+1..........4-5

INT 5............5

POW 1D6...............3

DEX 2D6+6..........13

Move: 10

Hit Points: 7-8

Damage Bonus: -1D4

Armor: 1 pt. chitinous shell

Attacks: Bite 30%, 1D6+1/2 Damage Bonus (Bleeding plus POT 18 disease which runs its course so quickly you should treat as a poison with the effect of weakness and pain and graduating to hemorraghing and convulsions in progressively debilitating stages for 2D4 turns or 10-40 minutes)

Grapple (Hold) 30%

Skills: Climb 85%, Dodge 50%, Jump 85%, Sense 75%, Stealth 80%

Sanity Loss

0/1D4

Hit Locations

D20.....Result.....HP

1 Pincer #1........1-2

2 Pincer #2........1-2

3 Pincer #3........1-2

4 Pincer #4........1-2

5 Leg #1............1-2

6 Leg #2............1-2

7 Leg #3............1-2

8 Leg #4............1-2

9 Leg #5............1-2

10 Leg #6..........1-2

11-15 Body........2-3

16-20 Head........2-3

Notes: The creature is accompanied by 2,000 parasites that are about the same mass as a dog. They have ten "legs," which are six spider-like, double jointed legs and four crab-like pincers on the top and back of its body used for grasping and climbing. They possess large mandibles, pale grayish skin and innumerable black, soulless eyes. On first inspection they resemble a giant spider or tick.

They attack with pack coordination and prefer enclosed spaces for trapping and surprising prey. They can also detect prey from afar, by an unknown method.

Their saliva cause the victim to feel disoriented, bleed from the eyes, and finally cause a Class IV hemorrhage.

A fumbled First Aid or Medicine roll results in pouring water on the wound, which speeds up the violent combustion resulting in 2D6 damage.

Source

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Does anyone have anything stronger than antimatter grenades to get through that 100 point hide? Monomolecular edged tangler rounds with depleted uranium spkes anyone?:shocked:

A team of Gaziras and some back up by a few giant Nihonjin robots should even up the score!:lol:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

If a neutron bomb isn't handy, there is an alternative explanation for HAMMERDOWN.

HAMMERDOWN was the codename for an airstrike used in a last ditch effort to destory the Cloverfield monster/LSA (Large Scale Agressor) and the Parasites/HSP (Human Sized Prasites), resulting in the destruction of Manhattan itself. The protocol was approved by the Government at 0442 (4:42am) hours. 120 Minutes later (6:42am), the HAMMERDOWN protocol was initiated. It was possibly dropped via a B52 Stratofortress.

Source

Though some interpreted the end audio of the film to indicate that Clovie might have survived.

:eek:

Edited by FunGuyFromYuggoth

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

If a neutron bomb isn't handy, there is an alternative explanation for HAMMERDOWN.

Source

Though some interpreted the end audio of the film to indicate that Clovie might have survived.

:eek:

3d10 X 1000 points of blast damage?:eek:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

It does look like it's wearing a diaper:lol:

Now you mention it :lol::lol::lol:

Clovie reminds me of the Monty Python movie jabberwock for some reason.

You'd think that the designers could have come up with a more frightening looking monster. You'd lose SAN laughing at how silly it looks. Perhaps that is why it is on the rampage. Someone laughed at him!:eek:

It doesn't really matter what it looks like. Even the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man was scary because it smashed buildings and stomped on cars.

Not all monsters need to look scary.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Yeah but the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man didnt look like the offspring of a crack whore and a retarded hairless chihuahua doing a crappy Maury Povich impersonation while doing the pee pee dance after eating Taco Bell.

Sounds like the typical elementary school talent contest:lol:

Edited by Dredj

I finally watched Cloverfield. I also read up some more on the monster. It seems the creators want everyone to believe it's a sea creature. Outside of the fact that it moves like a toad when a toad's not jumping, there's nothing to suggest that Clover comes from an aquatic environment. Clover looks like a chihuahua gene-spliced with some kind of insect(s). I really don't know how it would move with any kind of efficiency or speed underwater--unless it's so heavy it just crabs along the bottom of the ocean. Which would explain why it was never detected.

Personally, I think it's a mythos whom someone summoned and got more than they bargained for. Clover doesn't like being summoned to alien worlds:mad:

Is it just me, or does "Clover and the Parasites" sound like a New Wave band?

Also, I'm thinking Triff was interested in someone luring Clover and it's associated ecosystem over into the wiki for immediate archival. Or was it freezing in carbonite?

Wait - I'm thinking that's a different movie...

:D

Emerging from my Dark Age...