Outpost 19

Trifletraxor

The characters are a team of trouble shooters sent to deal with a medical emergency at a multi-corps research site on a recently opened colony world in a setting that's basically a "re-imagining" of the Future*World setting with touchs of Dune and Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space future history books - humanity lost earth to an out break of nanotechnology over a millennia ago and has split in to at least three distinct and divergent cultures (planet bound normal humanity, the "Gifted" of the Guild of Gate Wardens and the near immortal cyborgs of the Pilot's Guild), currently coexisting in an uneasy peace whilst aliens (the Sauriki and Quertzl from Future*World) are intruding in to the human sphere.

As and when I know what Chaosium intend to do with it, I'll say more, but at present I'm not sure when or even what exactly they'll do with it.

Cheers,

Nick

Outpost 19 will be a monograph according to Dustin. :)

Now, can you give me some tips on what kind of image would be appropriate for the news blurp? What kind of world and buildings are we talking? How does the outpost look like? How does the aliens look like? (and when did you submit it?)

SGL.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Outpost 19 will be a monograph according to Dustin. :)

Cool - that's sort of where I thought it was heading, given the final edited text with no illustrations or maps was over fifty pages, but it was never really my place to say. Don't know how Dustin's got on getting the art sorted though.

Now, can you give me some tips on what kind of image would be appropriate for the news blurp? What kind of world and buildings are we talking? How does the outpost look like? How does the aliens look like? (and when did you submit it?)

In the setting (not necessarily the adventure... :D ) there are reptilian aliens (Sauriki) and a multiform insect-like alien species called the Quertzl. Plus the Pilots of the FTL guild, who look a bit like Borg from Star Trek or Caorlyn from "Ship of Tears" in season 3 of Babylon 5 but never leave their ships (they do have featureless humanoid robots they remote control from their ships though) are fairly weird...

The core worlds are quite SF (think Ariel and other core worlds in Joss Wheedon's Firefly / Serenity or perhaps Washington from the film Minority Report (for all I hated the film) or Chicago from the film I, Robot (sorry Dr Asimov...) - very hi-tech to our eyes... But the adventure has a brief opening in a freeport / trade station "city" inside an asteroid, then jumps to a frontier world only recently colonised, where technology is much more primitive (far more Firefly), although the outpost itself is more Aliens / 2300AD. It's a hot, humid jungle planet environment, with filter masks recommended in the low lands where the Outpost is sited.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
typos

Can you tell me when you submitted it to Chaosium Nick?

I've put up a news blurb at the frontpage. Had a difficult time finding an image to use. Please PM me if you have any other image you'd like to use (or find something on www.istockphoto.com where I get most my images from that you would rather I use). Also, if you'd like the blurb changed in any way, send a pm.

SGL.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Can you tell me when you submitted it to Chaosium Nick?

I finally e-mailed it to Dustin in April of this year.

I've put up a news blurb at the frontpage. Had a difficult time finding an image to use. Please PM me if you have any other image you'd like to use (or find something on www.istockphoto.com where I get most my images from that you would rather I use). Also, if you'd like the blurb changed in any way, send a pm.

SGL.

Looks fine - if I come across an image that seems more appropriate I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Nick

I finally e-mailed it to Dustin in April of this year.

Okay, thanks for the info!

Looks fine - if I come across an image that seems more appropriate I'll let you know.

Okay, tried another one. Check the index page again, is this one better or was the other one the best?

SGL.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I need to do another order. A week ago I ordered 3 monographs and now I have more. Looking forwards to this Nick.

Thanks - you may also find the handouts useful (Characters, Planetary description forms and maps)

Will you look at Outpost 19 in your fanzine?

I've nothing specifically planned - but then I (personally) have a pretty full schedule of BRP related writing commitments for the next 18 months or so and, alas, my local groups aren't as keen on SF as I am. Since what entertains them tends to drive what I work on, and what I do for UW is usually a re-work of something I've used before, whilst I can se small things getting done for the Gate Warden universe, I think it will be a while before another substantial piece appears. I have a few "Tales of Blood and Doom" (short scenario seeds) that will probably make an appearance soon though.

Providing of course I don't get struck by a cracking idea I feel has to be in that setting, in which case I reserve the right to change my mind... :D

Would you welcome mono-graph related material for inclusion?

Yes, on the understanding of course that it's not simply duplicating material already offered to Chaosium /in the existing monograph. And that the authors of the specific monographs are happy as well.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks - you may also find the handouts useful (Characters, Planetary description forms and maps)

Thank you very much for the information, I have just downloaded them. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 1 year later...

In the setting (not necessarily the adventure... :D ) there are reptilian aliens (Sauriki) and a multiform insect-like alien species called the Quertzl. Plus the Pilots of the FTL guild, who look a bit like Borg from Star Trek or Caorlyn from "Ship of Tears" in season 3 of Babylon 5 but never leave their ships (they do have featureless humanoid robots they remote control from their ships though) are fairly weird...
I was reading the old documents from Future*World and noted these races there, too. Or rather, from there. Are they the same in appearance and stats or just in name?

Also, will there be more coming for Outpost 19 (or it's world)? A bit desperate for some BRP Sci-fi, I'm looking forward to picking this monograph up. Keeping my eyes open for Other Suns, too.

I was reading the old documents from Future*World and noted these races there, too. Or rather, from there. Are they the same in appearance and stats or just in name?

I haven't yet statted the Sauriki in the gate warden universe, nor the Quertzl, but Outpost 19 does include stats for a very Quertzl-like species native to Jeterieff V. But one could certainly use the stats from Future*World they are teh original inspiration in both cases.

Also, will there be more coming for Outpost 19 (or it's world)? A bit desperate for some BRP Sci-fi, I'm looking forward to picking this monograph up. Keeping my eyes open for Other Suns, too.
I do intend to do more, but as I mentioned up thread my writing's largely driven by what my local group play (and they aren't as big fans of SF as I am, sadly). Plus in the last eighteen months my life has been a bad soap opera, so free time has been scarce. But I'd still liek to do more in teh gate Warden setting.

Cheers,

Nick