RQ3 Classic reprints?

g33k

I know this idea has been mentioned previously -- a RQ3 project akin to the recent "RQClassic" (RQ2) KS.

It was, IIRC, described more or less as  "technically possible, we may investigate it later" but not announced, planned, or being worked on in any way...

But as a datum, I just wanted to present a snippet from the top hit (which was Amazon) on my Googlesearch  "river of cradles"  "avalon hill"
Paperback 
from $149.36

===========
4 Used from $149.36
2 New from $476.43

It looks like there's ... um ... a lot of money (potentially, at least) in such a RQ3 project, whether KS'ed or produced otherwise.

C'es ne pas un .sig

River of Cradles comes in several parts. It contains reprinted material from Borderlands and Pavis, the RQ3 long cult write-ups of the Lightbringers and Zola Fel, and the Troubled Waters campaign. Reprinting the stuff that comes from the RQ2 publications would be similar to including another full cult write-up of Kyger Litor.

I don't know whether the rights to the Troubled Waters scenario lie with Ken Rolston or with Avalon Hill (and in the latter case, whether they were part of the RuneQuest license that they or their successor dropped afterwards). It would make a nice bundle with Shadows on the Borderlands, or possibly also Strangers in Prax.1

If I understood the plans correctly, Sun County might experience a make-over to fit the new timeline requirements. MOB has been sharing some of the developments since the Cradle incident. The return to the draconic/traditionalist schisma between Belvani and Vega provides good story potential.

Argrath's Pavis doesn't get much spotlight after 1624. It might become something like the heroquesting academy for his warlocks, though, with all the possibilites offered by the Big Rubble. (One might even go a bit Harry Potter, there...)

I think a RQ3 Classics book "Scenarios in Prax" combining Troubled Waters, the two books "Shadows on the Borderland" and "Strangers in Prax" and possibly those scenario bits from Sun County not reused in an updated version would be a nifty book to have. That leaves mainly Dorastor.

The Dorastor history is included in the Guide, leaving only the monster collection, the gazetteer of Dorastor and the Riskland campaign unavailable. Toss in Lords of Terror (and maybe the Lightbringer cults from River of Cradles and Ernalda from the DeLuxe Box), and you get a full book, too.

That leaves some not yet re-hashed bits from Genertela Box, Gods of Glorantha, Elder Secrets, the Gloranthan Bestiary, the De Luxe box, Missing Lands, and possibly Monster Coliseum for a general RQ3 Glorantha catch-up, and either RQ2 or RQ3 Trollpak and associated material (Troll Gods, Into the Troll Realms, Sazdorf,) to be returned. I would be happy if the maybe 60 pages of extra material in the RQ3 version were added to the RQ2 reprint.

The excellent campaign that was adapted for both Vikings and Land of Ninja is worth saving, too. Maybe as the core material for the general Glorantha catch-up. (The Vikings campaign is the closest I ever came to GM published RQ scenarios.)

All of that needs editing manpower that should not be withdrawn from the RQG line, though.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

43 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I don't know whether the rights to the Troubled Waters scenario lie with Ken Rolston or with Avalon Hill (and in the latter case, whether they were part of the RuneQuest license that they or their successor dropped afterwards). It would make a nice bundle with Shadows on the Borderlands, or possibly also Strangers in Prax.

Moon Design Publications owns it all.

46 minutes ago, Joerg said:

If I understood the plans correctly, Sun County might experience a make-over to fit the new timeline requirements. MOB has been sharing some of the developments since the Cradle incident. The return to the draconic/traditionalist schisma between Belvani and Vega provides good story potential.

The Sun County timeline has been extended to 1628, covering developments in the River of Cradles and Prax from the earlier standard setting to now (as in RQG "now"). That began as dot points, then notes, and - especially after looking at David Scott's Windstop Map in the Guide and realising it was going to have a devastating impact on the area - eventually wound up at about 20K words, as more and more needed to be taken account of. A lot happens!

45 minutes ago, Joerg said:

All of that needs editing manpower that should not be withdrawn from the RQG line, though.

Yes - one day the AH RQ3 stuff (or certain parts of it) will get a reprise. But we've got RQG to get out, and still have some PDFs to go for the RQ Classic KS...

• Like 3

On 12/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, MOB said:

Yes - one day the AH RQ3 stuff (or certain parts of it) will get a reprise. But we've got RQG to get out, and still have some PDFs to go for the RQ Classic KS...

That sounds good. I can understand that RQ Classic promises need to be honoured before embarking on something similar for RQ3.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/18/2017 at 1:34 AM, Joerg said:

The excellent campaign that was adapted for both Vikings and Land of Ninja is worth saving, too. Maybe as the core material for the general Glorantha catch-up. (The Vikings campaign is the closest I ever came to GM published RQ scenarios.)

I need to hear about this one.. First I've ever heard of that. I have them somewhere.

12 hours ago, soltakss said:

... I can understand that RQ Classic promises need to be honoured before embarking on something similar for RQ3.

Yeah.  The folks over on theRQClassic KS page are .... getting pretty testy !

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 12/21/2017 at 7:56 AM, g33k said:

Yeah.  The folks over on theRQClassic KS page are .... getting pretty testy !

Are they? I am happy with the PDFs that I have received and am happy to wait for the rest. However, I don't buy hard copies any more, just PDFs for me, so I am not waiting for anything else.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

6 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Data is ephemeral, no matter how redundant your backups are.  Hardcovers are not.

Unfortunately, if I buy any more hardcopies, my wife/marriage will be ephemeral ...

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, soltakss said:

Are they?

They are.

9 hours ago, soltakss said:

I am happy with the PDFs that I have received and am happy to wait for the rest. However, I don't buy hard copies any more, just PDFs for me, so I am not waiting for anything else.

Still remaining:

• Pavis and Big Rubble (in layout).
  • Griffin Mountain and Borderlands (awaiting layout).
  • SoloQuest Collection, Troll Pak, and the RQ Companion (still in edits)

I presume some folks are waiting for all of it, some for one bit or another.

And Rick himself is the only person still working on them.

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

That is so true. Except for floods and fires. It's best to keep them in a sealed vault, filled with inert gas.

I learned when it happened to me...I lost about two thirds of my RP stuff because it was stored in the garage when the water heater gave up the ghost and a gasket, which spurred my RQ buying spree in the late 90's.  Now everything is stored well above the floor, except the RQ stuff, which stays in closets or on bookshelves.

However, a failed HDD won't destroy it forever.

4 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

I learned when it happened to me...I lost about two thirds of my RP stuff because it was stored in the garage when the water heater gave up the ghost and a gasket, which spurred my RQ buying spree in the late 90's.  Now everything is stored well above the floor, except the RQ stuff, which stays in closets or on bookshelves.

However, a failed HDD won't destroy it forever.

Meh, I thought so too for years, but finally recognized that most electronic purchases from reliable vendors will allow you re-downloads or store it in the cloud.

If the world is so generally screwed that the internet goes down permanently, I guarantee you'll have bigger problems than "crap, I lost my $20 copy of Cults of Prax!"

Guest Vile Traveller
11 hours ago, g33k said:

Still remaining:

• Pavis and Big Rubble (in layout).
  • Griffin Mountain and Borderlands (awaiting layout).
  • SoloQuest Collection, Troll Pak, and the RQ Companion (still in edits)

I presume some folks are waiting for all of it, some for one bit or another.

And Rick himself is the only person still working on them.

Yep, I'm one of those still waiting for all those PDFs, though by now my interest in RQ has waned to the point that I really just want to cross them of the list. It's a little disappointing to see another 6-figure Kickstarter delayed by almost 2 years (?). Leaving all the work to the president is not what one would expect from any company, even if it is an RPG publisher. I thought avoiding this sort of thing was why the Chaosium takeover happened in the first place. :huh:

On 12/24/2017 at 4:29 AM, Vile said:

Yep, I'm one of those still waiting for all those PDFs, though by now my interest in RQ has waned to the point that I really just want to cross them of the list. It's a little disappointing to see another 6-figure Kickstarter delayed by almost 2 years (?). Leaving all the work to the president is not what one would expect from any company, even if it is an RPG publisher. I thought avoiding this sort of thing was why the Chaosium takeover happened in the first place. :huh:

As for the Kickstarter, I believe it is clearer to state that some stretch goal items are late as opposed to making a sweeping statement. All of the printed products were delivered long ago, especially to top backers, and only these stretch goal PDFs remain to be delivered and they will be delivered.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Guest Vile Traveller

I believe both g33k and I were absolutely clear in stating what is still outstanding. No-one has claimed the Kickstarter as a whole has not delivered, and I have in the past stated that I expect that the remaining PDFs will one day be finished (though I, like you yourself, hesitate to put a date on that given that no-one else is assigned to work on them at this time). 

6 hours ago, Vile said:

I believe both g33k and I were absolutely clear in stating ... 

Alas for the versatility of English!  :P

I believe the phrase  "all those" was the basis of the misunderstanding:  in the context of the long list of PDFs for the RQC Kickstarter, "all those PDFs" might mean... well... all those PDFs.   Or it might mean the 7 specifically cited.  Neither interpretation is, technically, incorrect.

C'es ne pas un .sig