Are 2H weapons the only way to go?

Valeren

54 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Been a bit distracted by a family medical emergency, and then a trip to London today.

So sorry to hear that!

Prayers, best wishes, visualizations of healing light ... Sending them all.  Accept whatever works for you & yours.

C'es ne pas un .sig

It says on page 194 that a parry does not take any strike ranks. On page 197 it says "an adventurer can attempt to parry an attack on any strike rank of the melee round during which the parrying weapon is prepared (in hand and ready for use)".

That implies to me that yes you can parry on the same strike rank you attack on, and yes you can parry multiple attacks on the same strike rank. Remember these are just initiative order counters, not units of time. The last two paragraphs on page 192 make this clear.

Also, regarding that last paragraph on page 192. If it were not possible to parry on the same strike rank as your own attack, and your attack came later in the round than your opponent, then your faster opponent would be able to play SR delay tricks to try and force you into giving up either your attack or parry.

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

13 minutes ago, simonh said:

It says on page 194 that a parry does not take any strike ranks. On page 197 it says "an adventurer can attempt to parry an attack on any strike rank of the melee round during which the parrying weapon is prepared (in hand and ready for use)".

That implies to me that yes you can parry on the same strike rank you attack on, and yes you can parry multiple attacks on the same strike rank. Remember these are just initiative order counters, not units of time. The last two paragraphs on page 192 make this clear.

Also, regarding that last paragraph on page 192. If it were not possible to parry on the same strike rank as your own attack, and your attack came later in the round than your opponent, then your faster opponent would be able to play SR delay tricks to try and force you into giving up either your attack or parry.

This is certainly how I read the rules.

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, Valeren said:

Hi all,

Since the 2H weapons are faster, hit harder, have almost as many HP as shield,s and allow 1 attack and 1 full defense, and since we can now dodge arrows, why would anyone use 1H weapons?

Am I missing something?

My experiences may be a bit skewed as most of my RQ years have not been in Glorantha but:

Holding a one handed weapon and a torch/lantern is a much better way of exploring dark areas than having to put away your two handed weapon so you can use your light source.

Opening a door with one hand while having your weapon ready to strike at whatever is on the other side is also much easier with a one handed weapon.

Holding onto a ladder, rope, cliff etc with one hand while still being able to fight can be useful.

Waving a hand around for magic, grabbing the handy potion in your pouch etc can be done without completely removing your ability to defend.

The main city that my party frequents has rules about heavily armoured and armed ruffians wandering its streets. The bad guys are frequently armed with shortswords and other small, concealable weapons.  Those PCs with similar small weapons can often carry them without attracting attention.  Lugging around a greatsword, greataxe etc will result in arrest or a terminal battle with the city guard.