Bestiary and GM Pack

Marty Jopson

Hi All,

Loving RQG so far. I vaguely recall seeing a date of release for the Bestiary as 15th July but what of the GM pack thingy? I understand the GM pack will come with a scenario(s) and a sandbox campaign - or something like that. Truth is I am a bit confused as to what is on the cards for release. Is the GM pack different from the GM book? 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Marty Jpos said:

Hi All,

Loving RQG so far. I vaguely recall seeing a date of release for the Bestiary as 15th July but what of the GM pack thingy? I understand the GM pack will come with a scenario(s) and a sandbox campaign - or something like that. Truth is I am a bit confused as to what is on the cards for release. Is the GM pack different from the GM book? 

Cheers

Yes, the GM's "Pack" and "Book" are different products.  They are VERY far into development -- well past the chance of being "rumored" products -- but their release date(s) have not been set.

Bestiary is up next (PDF ETA is 15 July, as you note).

I believe the 'Pack will be out before the Book, but I am not privy to Chaosium internals and could be wrong in my belief.

I think the Pack is slated to have 3 linked-ish adventures and enough surrounding setting for sandbox play, but I don't expect it to really look like a "campaign" as such.  That's my guess/impression, anyhow (q.v. "not privy to Chaosium internals").

Cults book is also very-very far advanced; I expect that one next after the Core Trio + GMPack; but again: not privy &c...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Cool. Thanks for the info. The pack sounds like it will do the trick and give me somewhere to start. I’ve been a long term Glorantha fan - but only ever from afar. It’s pretty daunting when you have never run the setting before - hence the need for a leg up. 

I await future releases and news with anticipation...

Also worth considering is the wealth of RQ2 material, both the Kickstarter'ed "Runequest Classic" line of old-school reprints and the slightly-revised "Gloranthan Classics" line.  Be aware the 2 "... Classics" lines substantially overlap as to content.  Each represents a notable effort to return older / out-of-print content (largely though not entirely the SAME content) back into availability.

The new edition is intentionally very-backward-compatible with all that stuff.

Lots of good RQ3 stuff, too, although you gotta find it on the used market, and it's a bit more work to convert...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Dimbyd collected together a big chunk of news on what’s planned for RuneQuest. It also mentions the GM Book, which will have rules on magical treasures and Heroquesting, it’s a distinct product from the GM Pack thingy

On 5/9/2018 at 5:26 PM, Dimbyd said:

So I took a few notes from the Chaosium seminar at Chimeriades convention in the beautiful South of France countryside.

There was some discussion on Runequest core book- which they hope to open pre-orders later this month- which is as detailed a date they were willing to commit to; with the aim of a Gen Con launch. A black and white print out of the laid out book was circulated at the con and it does look beautiful and evocative. The core book will have a conversion guide as an annex for previous edition adventures to be adapted and run under the new rules.

Jeff believes that the RQG core book looks more beautiful than the Guide, and that there were more artists available with a feel for Glorantha. The art is designed to reflect and enhance the uniqueness of Glorantha.    

The Bestiary is entering layout- it is a simpler layout than the core book, so it will go to production at a faster pace. One challenge is making stat blocks more interesting The Bestiary will allow you to play a number of different Gloranthan races including Trolls, elves, Telemori, and the most noble of all Gloranthan races- the ducks. (Hoorah!)  Some 150 different RQ creatures are covered including dinosaurs & mega-fauna

Next up is the GM pack- which is really a setting pack- a Colymar sandbox setting with 3 adventures which can be linked or play separately. Some 100 pages with lots of stated NPCs which can give GMs template for what a Clan Chief may look like stat wise. An impressive map of Clearwine by Oliver Sanfilippo was circulated to help GMs and players visualise locations. Boldhome appears in Dragon Pass campaign pack.   

No rolled maps will be produced by Chaosium- shipping costs to blame

Apple Lane will be a default base for players for post 1625 setting, reflecting the power vacuums following Dragonrise. Apple Lane buildings have housing maps to help give the feel of a base for players.

12 books in advanced production to support RQG- reflecting the work of the past 2 years. The new edition will be well supported to help time pressed GMs to run adventures for groups. Source books are likely to be statted for RQ, as it will be easier for Heroquest Glorantha GMs to adapt than the other way round.

GM book magic items, treasures guidance- Heroquest & hero rules

Gods of Glorantha will feature 50 gods with 8-12 page write ups of each cult. Orlanth will be expanded in coverage. The Red Goddess will be featured, with new Lunar magic. It will be a very God Learner book and designed for GM  to use. Issaries is a god/ cult which will see little expansion. The invisible God will be covered in a separate project. More regional gods will be covered in regional sourcebooks- such as Pavis- Jeff ran a Big Rubble scenario at the convention.

Art is being ordered for the book.

Jeff explains that he goes back to the oldest Greg sources & then work out what to keep & reject. Keen for returning players feel comfortable with Glorantha.

Chaos gods are not PC gods so not in the upcoming book - A separate gods of chaos pack with scenarios being worked upon. Therefore GM only.

Default 1625 early 1626 setting for the line

Sarah Newton is at the advanced draft stage for Barbarian Town - Wild West themed bronze age- opens up mixed group of PCs.. Another project by Sarah will be announced when it is further along.

Steve Perrin is writing old school feel scenarios to contrast with Sarah’s more modern approac

And finally on RQG, Jeff opened up a little on the heroquest rules-

1. Getting the feel.. River of Cradles campaign is a Heroquest- they are looking to get a toolkit of myth structure/ special effects to reflect hero-questing
  2. REWARD- Guidance how to handle that hq gifts & Levels wider than a cult...  needs a Mythic restriction power with obligations. The hero should be embarrassed to use the power outside of the key needs. (Ken Rolston was animated on this point)
  3. Building package of rules after Heroquesting & becomes Hero with capital H. The Hero not super skilled not always effective- eg various Greek myths. Developing immortal self- 2 different things. Hero & shaman archtypes. Two different stat blocks. Fetches are always on hero plane. Gifts & powers come from that. Depletable resource- that be recovered through GM tasks & they have to develop cult to be worshiped. Develop a community eg Harrek is worshipped by communities who don’t want a visit from the Beserker(!)  Switch of perspective Dragonewts don’t want the obligations....

Finally, Q-Workshop will be producing official Runequest dice- which look both stylish and legible- even on the mobile phone pictures I saw.

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow - this all sounds great !!!  

Sounds like some great products ahead. The schedule from now to the end of the year sounds very promising. I can't wait to have the hardcover colour books here to look at, and I hope we getthe slipcase editions at some stage.

I really like that we see a return to Apple Lane, that place really felt alive for me, considering we kicked a few adventures off from there, and kept returning.

I like that we have Steve Perrin back for some old school adventures, and the fact that Barbarian Town is gonna get fleshed out for a setting by Sarah Newton.

There's only good news in this post!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Yes.

???

Are you sure?  The slipcase will NOT hold the GM Book ?

That seems... off.  (edit: but it's true)

Edited by g33k
jajagappa is correct, confirmed elsethread by Rick.

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, Marty Jpos said:

Cool. Thanks for the info. The pack sounds like it will do the trick and give me somewhere to start. I’ve been a long term Glorantha fan - but only ever from afar. It’s pretty daunting when you have never run the setting before - hence the need for a leg up. 

I await future releases and news with anticipation...

If I may be so bold as to offer an opinion:

if you have all new players and a new GM:  Roll up all starting Adventurers as 16 years old.  That way, the players can only expect world knowledge of about a 50 km radius.  By doing this, new players and GMs have a chance to move into the world slowly and learn about Glorantha together. If the “ripples”move out slowly, it should be easier for you to stay one week of background ahead of the players and hopefully it will be less daunting for all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Humakt said:

When the slipcase would be  realise?, because I gonna bay the RQG as soon as it   Becomes available, so that’s make me wander if the core book comes first, what’s up then? Would be available separately for the same price?

Just checking that you realize that the core rules are already available at the Chaosium site.  Only purchasable as a PDF at present, but it works fine and looks good.  Hard copy due in a few weeks with the PDF price deductible from the Hard Copy price.  No need to delay your fun!

13 minutes ago, Mac said:

Just checking that you realize that the core rules are already available at the Chaosium site.  Only purchasable as a PDF at present, but it works fine and looks good.  Hard copy due in a few weeks with the PDF price deductible from the Hard Copy price.  No need to delay your fun!

Yes I already got the pdf but I’m asking about the book, sorry if my English is a bit poor, I’m about 25 years playing runequest and I’m so excited for the new way it’s taken so i just wander if at gencon would be the slipcase or is gonna be the option to buy it separately

6 hours ago, Humakt said:

Yes I already got the pdf but I’m asking about the book, sorry if my English is a bit poor, I’m about 25 years playing runequest and I’m so excited for the new way it’s taken so i just wander if at gencon would be the slipcase or is gonna be the option to buy it separately

If I understand correctly, the hardcover is coming out at Gen Con, but the slipcase doesn't until October or November.

So - we have the Bestiary (all very lovely) and now I am just awaiting the GMs pack thingy. What are the odds we get this before Gen Con? 

Not that I'm going to Gen Con, but the event looms large over the rpg landscape. It would quite a trip from Yorkshire...

Edited by Marty Jpos
  • Like 1