[New Release] Waterlands, a Mythic Britain Adventure Supplement

Dan Ruffolo

An adventure pack for Mythic Britain...

The fenlands of eastern Britain, where Celtic and Saxon tribes clash, and where old enmities between Britons do not always mean a united front against a common enemy.

The spirits are quiet. The goddesses shackled. And a murder has been committed...

Waterlands: Adventures in the Great Mire takes you into the desolate fens - a place of deep mystery and darker secrets. The central adventure involves the characters acting as emissaries for their Lord as a betrothal takes place, but soon becoming investigators as matters take an unexpected turn. The setting provides a mini campaign with extended adventure seeds, and full encounter tables for the mysterious and threatening denizens of the Great Mire.

Available in Softcover, with a free PDF copy for $10.99
Also available as a PDF alone for only $5.99

Design Mechanism Store:
http://thedesignmechanism.com/store.php#!/Mythic-Britain-Waterlands-Adventures-in-the-Great-Mire/p/114392635/category=24197109

Drivethru RPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/246666/TDM204-Waterlands

waterlandscover.jpg

• Like 3

Marketing Manager, Production Editor

http://thedesignmechanism.com

On 9/3/2018 at 10:08 AM, Thot said:

This is placed in the below linked area, I presume?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fens

It's not really set in The Fens, it's a bit further north around what is now the Humber river, (in 'fenlands') with York at the north. Now you would say it's the midlands and into the North of England around the Humber estuary, the campaign area does touch The Fens in the south but isn't actually set there. I'm reading through the supplement and love it so far, the only oddity to me is the description that the location is the east of England which I think of as East Anglia.

srsXHhs.png

Edited by Bilharzia
  • Like 2

Again, got the supplement and reading through it, and very much enjoying it.

What is striking is that despite being a supplement of less than 40 pages it does not shy away from describing  the diverse and complex cultural landscape that historians are speculating existed in this region during the 'Arthurian' age. It is able to do this because of the ground work laid by Mythic Britain and Longres, but adds a new level on top of what is there, rather than simply another annex. 

Bil' is right though

On 9/5/2018 at 5:46 AM, Bilharzia said:

It's not really set in The Fens,

Being familiar with the topography both of them, they are at times very similar. But the folk of these Waterlands would not think of themselves as Fenland folk, the Fens are the area surrounding the Wash Estuary, those of the land that border Humber Estuary have different identities.

Its a minor point though, about what is really a rather good supplement.

• Like 1

The use of 'The Fens' appears in our marketing blurb to help those not overly familiar with this area of Britain, and to help visualise what the Great Mire is like. In the campaign itself, the people of the region call it The Great Mire, or refer to their local settlements, and don't use the word 'fen' at all. To convey the kind of area it is (which is more than just a marshland or extensive bog), the words fen and fenland are the best ways of conveying the impression.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

People from Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire know where the Fens are - between those counties and The Wash. The marshlands originally went from south of the Humber, past The Wash and into the Norfolk Broads, one whole wilderness of steamy marshland.

Waterlands looks good, from a brief skip through. I really liked the format of the one page scenarios, they have a really good, clear format that is ripe for adapting.

I am sure that my current Dark Ages campaign will use some things from the Waterlands at some point.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have to echo Gryph and soltakss - I like this format for a supplement - it's building on an existing setting by presenting an unusual region in more detail, it's got region-specific encounters, natural and supernatural creatures, environmental hazards, colourful and important NPCs detailed, a short but varied adventure (travel, social interaction, a mystery, mayhem, the supernatural, an Old Man who may be Merlin or ... Tim) and enough additional adventure cameos to make a campaign of it. Another good 'un from Mark Shirley who also wrote Mythic Constantinople.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, thomas5251212 said:

Still keep trying to decide if this would be useful for my Fantasy Britain campaign; its up in the Carvetti area, so I can't make up my mind...

Yes, I think it would.

Although the Carvetti are on the other side of the country, they might want to travel into the Great mire for some reason.

The scenarios tend to me Angles vs Britons, but there's no reason you can't substitute another type of Briton for Angles, they would work just as well.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here