Hurrah to demon objects!

Thot

53 minutes ago, Simlasa said:

That reminds me of Earthdawn's magic items, how you have to learn about the item, 'weave a thread' to it.
I wonder if a piece of demon equipment might care who its owner is and perhaps find a way to get itself into the hands of a preferred owner.

Like the One Ring!

I didn't know that Ring chose its owner.
I should re-read those books someday...

A similar idea that I've considered is armor/equipment that has spirits (rather than 'demons') occupying it... such as the spirit of an ancestor, who was an expert swordsman, in the hilt of a sword... guiding the hand of its user. Or something like having your sister's spirit in an amulet that can offer warning or advice.
Kinda like the 40K Eldar and their spirit stones, meaning there are ghosts in all their machines.

On 10/5/2018 at 6:27 PM, Simlasa said:

A similar idea that I've considered is armor/equipment that has spirits (rather than 'demons') occupying it... 

This is a fantastic idea I've used to great effect in both gaming sessions and in my creative writing. It is also an easy way to add background depth to a PC for little or no outlay, and it's fun to tease them with the Who, When, Why, etc. of the piece. It's like insta-backstory...just add player.

Imagine a naive pre-play PC who has "borrowed" a family"lucky" necklace  heir loom for an adventure without a clear understanding that each pendant contains the spirit of a spell casting and protective grandmother. Each of whom, being good "moms" and in an effort to look out for their grand baby, perform simple yet random acts of magic on their behalf: charming a: "...local good girl/guy for you..."; improving hearing: "...you need to listen more..."; enhancing appetite: "...eat more porridge; it's good for you"; inducing vomiting "...purge those drinking demons, young man!" LOL...too much fun.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

On 10/5/2018 at 9:27 PM, Simlasa said:

I didn't know that Ring chose its owner.
I should re-read those books someday...

Kinda. It's mentioned that the ring, as part of Sauron, wants to be found, and subtly works at returning to him. The idea was that the ring chose to slip off of Golum's finger, as Gloum would have stayed underground forever, while someone else might travel about, making it more likely that the ring could return to it's master or be discovered. I believe Gandalf states that the Ring choose Bilbo over Golum. 

A similar idea that I've considered is armor/equipment that has spirits (rather than 'demons') occupying it... such as the spirit of an ancestor, who was an expert swordsman, in the hilt of a sword... guiding the hand of its user. Or something like having your sister's spirit in an amulet that can offer warning or advice.
Kinda like the 40K Eldar and their spirit stones, meaning there are ghosts in all their machines.

A perfectly good idea. I think there was an old RQ item that has a ancestor in it that could act much like an allied spirit, cast spells on the wielder's behalf (if she chose to) and so on. "Demon" in SB is a rather loose term. It could easily be any other sort of being, and not necessarily malevolent. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

7 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Kinda. It's mentioned that the ring, as part of Sauron, wants to be found, and subtly works at returning to him. The idea was that the ring chose to slip off of Golum's finger, as Gloum would have stayed underground forever, while someone else might travel about, making it more likely that the ring could return to it's master or be discovered. I believe Gandalf states that the Ring choose Bilbo over Golum. 

The implication was that in those Misty Mountain tunnels there was more chance that it would be picked up by an Orc than by Bilbo Baggins, and therefore more chance of getting straight back to Sauron. The One Ring has a kind of evil intelligence but is still a fairly passive artifact. It's still a ring, not a robot.

17 hours ago, Questbird said:

The implication was that in those Misty Mountain tunnels there was more chance that it would be picked up by an Orc than by Bilbo Baggins, and therefore more chance of getting straight back to Sauron. The One Ring has a kind of evil intelligence but is still a fairly passive artifact. It's still a ring, not a robot.

Definitely. And the influence it exerts on Bilbo and Frodo to put on is part of that. It's a ring so there isn't much it can do other than nudge the bearing to do things that could get it noticed by Sauron. But, the selfish nature of Sauron  works against him to some extent, since the bearer develops the desire to keep the ring. 

Certainly one of the better retcons. 

This thread has me thinking about how the game would look if the only spells available were summon elemental, summon demon, and summon spirit? I'm kind of thinking it would function the same way as the sandestins in Jack Vance's Dying Earth or Lyonesse novels.

I think I've got one player who might balk - he loves his Deep Magic users, but I can envision some interesting dynamics in play.

35 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

This thread has me thinking about how the game would look if the only spells available were summon elemental, summon demon, and summon spirit? I'm kind of thinking it would function the same way as the sandestins in Jack Vance's Dying Earth or Lyonesse novels.

I think I've got one player who might balk - he loves his Deep Magic users, but I can envision some interesting dynamics in play.

Isn't this how magic worked in Stormbringer 3rd edition (and perhaps earlier). I seem to remember the rules saying, to the effect, that Man was incapable of performing magic in and of himself; he must summon demons and elementals and higher powers to do the magic for him.

Magic had its variety by allowing the player to choose the demon's form and some special powers.

Colin

4 minutes ago, colinabrett said:

Isn't this how magic worked in Stormbringer 3rd edition (and perhaps earlier). I seem to remember the rules saying, to the effect, that Man was incapable of performing magic in and of himself; he must summon demons and elementals and higher powers to do the magic for him.

Magic had its variety by allowing the player to choose the demon's form and some special powers.

Colin

I'm not sure, I never played Stormbringer and only became aware of Elric! and SB5 by picking up Magic World first.

4 hours ago, colinabrett said:

Yup, in early SB there were no spells, and all magic was accomplished by summoned beings. Mind you, a sorcerer could do something like bind a fire elemental in a ring and then be able to shoot gouts of fire at people but it was still the summoned elemental that was doing it. The line got blurred with Sorcerers of the East (who had spells) and Demon Magic, before Elric! pretty much ported over RQ Battle Magic. 

Edited by Atgxtg

On 10/6/2018 at 3:27 AM, Simlasa said:

I really like this. And the best thing is, Magic World's rules could simply be reinterpreted, without any mechanics changes, to make this happen.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 7:26 AM, Thot said:

I really like this. And the best thing is, Magic World's rules could simply be reinterpreted, without any mechanics changes, to make this happen.

Check out Gods of Law and the Virtues system there. It goes a long way towards something like this.

70/420

Thanks Nick, I think that probably is the best looking incarnation, and the Dharzi stuff seems new to me. It definitely gives the forces of Law something to fight back with- maybe a little too much.