Mythic Greece

rsanford

I am not a video gamer (so I have no idea about this title) but I saw the trailer and it made me think of the Mythic Greece book coming out.  Wish it would hurry up and come out!

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Okay - so apparently this link to a Facebook video doesn't show up here (or not reliably). I am trying to find the video on the Internet. If I can I will post it....

The name of the game this comes from is Assasin's Creed Oddysey

Edited by rsanford
More info

On 9/5/2018 at 1:00 AM, rsanford said:

I am not a video gamer (so I have no idea about this title) but I saw the trailer and it made me think of the Mythic Greece book coming out.  Wish it would hurry up and come out!

Yes, pretty much exactly as I would imagine Mythic Greece. 

However, I am sure that numerous people can point out which of the costumes/temples/whatever are wrong and belong to Classical Greece rather than Mythic Greece.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I haven't played a video game in probably ten years but I will get that one. Meanwhile I am anxiously awaiting Mythic Greece from The Design Mechanism and Before Iron from Nocturnal (though I should probably give up on that one). On of my long term goals is to write a campaign world with two or three adventures built into it where backsliding classical Greeks find their mythic Gods coming alive and punishing them for not being faithful over the years.

• 3 months later...

I read this last month but I forgot about it until now. I would definitely be interested in a Mythic Greece book. The combat style and equipment I was most interested in in Mythic Rome was the Makedonian phalangites and the city hoplites. I really like the idea of a fantasy empire which uses all sorts of variant ancient infantry and cavalry in some kind of rube goldberg combined arms method. The Greek city-state politics and minor kingdoms are pretty neat. The innumerable permutations of Greek myths and cults are great for a fantasy setting, too; which is why I think fantasy games tend to tend toward ancient pagan models rather than monotheistic or non-deistic traditions (Daoism, etc.).

If I were to do anything myself in this it would be Mythic Persia. I love horse archers and cataphracts. Ancient heavy infantry (Immortals) would be interesting, too. Aside from the tin soldiers, ancient Persia and the nearby steppe/desert/mountain areas were more fertile, wetter and their climate more forgiving in the ancient past. I like the idea of combining stuff from the Persian/Parthian/Sassanid period under one umbrella, as the example of Mythic Greece and Rome above.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, VonKatzen said:

If I were to do anything myself in this it would be Mythic Persia. I love horse archers and cataphracts. Ancient heavy infantry (Immortals) would be interesting, too. Aside from the tin soldiers, ancient Persia and the nearby steppe/desert/mountain areas were more fertile, wetter and their climate more forgiving in the ancient past. I like the idea of combining stuff from the Persian/Parthian/Sassanid period under one umbrella, as the example of Mythic Greece and Rome above.

I very much looking forward to Mythic Greece, but I agree that Mythic Persia would be great to have! Ideally it would cover multiple eras, and so could be a companion piece to both Mythic Greece and Rome.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pachristian said:

I very much looking forward to Mythic Greece, but I agree that Mythic Persia would be great to have! Ideally it would cover multiple eras, and so could be a companion piece to both Mythic Greece and Rome.

If you think horse archers are effective in warfare they're better in small-group fighting! A man with a bow on a horse can basically annihilate two-legged enemies at will and evade retaliation with ease. A party with an armored archer on a horse would have a big advantage, unless they were underground lol or some similar fantasy setup.

Of course this can be done already with the right combat style, but in Mythic Persia you finally have an excuse to have your entire party be nomadic aristocrats with composite bows, lances, sabers and full body mail, who show no respect for authority and loot anything they can carry off. Historical murder hobos.

Edited by VonKatzen

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, Bilharzia said:

If you read Spanish there is Mythic Mediterranean

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/166601/Mediterraneo-Mitico

And here you can read a review:
Just use the translation gadget on the right margin, scrolling down

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/resena-de-mediterraneo-mitico.html      ^_^

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

7 hours ago, Rhialto the Marvellous said:

Man, if only there were an English translation of the supplement itself...the excellent review is tantalizing (literally).

Thank you! ;) I've been looking forward to running or playing the included short campaign since I got the book.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing in Thennla and Korantia is, as everyone here knows, based quite heavily on Hellenistic Greece.

Really, there's so much info out there on the net for classical Greece that it's easy to play there. One of the things that I found interesting on a sociological sense is the heavy prevalence of slavery in places like Periclean Athens, and the assumption that any wandering adventurer might have about three slaves of their own (at least one of whom would be female). It radically changes the dynamic of normal adventure role playing.

Edited by ChalkLine