Leika's Runepool

Goldennose

20 minutes ago, womble said:

So when do you have separate Rune Pools? It ar nao confuzzd.

I believe only when you are a member of a different cult.  Associated cults give some rune magic as choices to the "core" cult (normally just one spell).  So for example Orlanth gets magic from other Lightbringers and they would all use the Orlanth rune pool for this.  However if for some reason the PC also joined Pavis then they would have a separate pool for Pavis rune magic (assuming Pavis' magic is rune magic of course).

At least that is how it reads to me!

Edited by Skovari

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I could see the merging of spells from separate runepools being a nice side-benefit of Issaries:  if the merchant has spell-traded for two spells that COULD be cast together IF they came from the same runepools, then by virtue of passing thru Issaries' remit they CAN be cast together.

Including if Issaries sells the combo onward to another customer.

I imagine I'd allow this too, at least for the priest of Issaries (not sure I'd let him trade a castable combo to someone else, but just need more thought there). It seems cool and flavorful.

How would you rule the interaction between Extension and a traded spell? The person who traded a spell only gets those points back once it has been cast, but what if it's cast and Extended by the caster? Does the person who traded the spell not get it back until the Extension is up or the spell canceled? (Going off of Rune Fixes, where Extended RPs don't come back until the effects of the spell end.) I'm not sure I like that, but some traded spells could reasonably be assumed to take a very long time to be returned anyway (like trading a Shield 2 which would presumably just be being saved for emergencies), so...

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

11 hours ago, womble said:

You have a separate pool for each initiation into a cult. So an Orlanth can cast spells from all the associated cults with his Orlanth rune pool - Charisma, Lock, Identify Scent, etc. If he initiated into Yinkin, then he starts a separate Yinkin rune pool. He can then cast Identify Scent with either rune pool.

Edited by PhilHibbs
Yinkin oops

To be clear, I presume that if I am in Orlanth Adventurous and later join Orlanth Thunderous, I use my Orlanth rune pool for both subcults. Later, when I become a Priest, I join Yinkin as an associated cult. I am now in addition to being a Rune Priest of Orlanth (who is in the Thunderous and Adventurous subcults), I am also a God-Talker of Yinkin. I can use my single Rune Point pool for all the spells I learn from all these cults. However, for my Yinkin magic, I may only use the spells that I sacrifice for which are available to Associate Priests.  Is this right?

My cousin Torvald, on the other hand, is an Initiate of Humakt. He also initiates into Elmal. While the two cults are not at odds (and indeed, have a certain degree of admiration for each other), Torvald must develop separate Rune Point pools for each of these deities. However, he also has access to the entire array of rune magic which is available to Initiates of these respective cults. This is different from being an Associate Priest, who enters the new cult by way of their original deity's presence in the new cult's myths. In a way, being an Initiate is a deeper commitment than being an Associate Priest. Eventually, Torvald will have to decide which cult he will commit his life too when he becomes a full Priest or Rune Lord. He may even have to leave the other cult if the time or social requirements become too overwhelming, and may receive a visit from the cult Spirits of Retribution of the forsworn cult if his other cult doesn't include the other deity as an Associate Priest.

I'd personally allow an Initiate to transfer to Associate Priest status when they become full Priests of their home cult. So, say if I started as a dual initiate (Orlanth Adventurous and Yinkin), when I become a Storm Voice I'd also be an Associate Priest of Yinkin, presuming I kept up my time and worship commitments if they wanted. But a choice would need to be made because they'd lose spells not available to Associate Priests. This would be the price to pay for the merging and easier restoration of the rune pools. I'd also let a full Priest keep their separate initiate status, but then they'd have to juggle holy days and separate rune pool restoration.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Groovetronic said:

To be clear, I presume that if I am in Orlanth Adventurous and later join Orlanth Thunderous, I use my Orlanth rune pool for both subcults. Later, when I become a Priest, I join Yinkin as an associated cult. I am now in addition to being a Rune Priest of Orlanth (who is in the Thunderous and Adventurous subcults), I am also a God-Talker of Yinkin. I can use my single Rune Point pool for all the spells I learn from all these cults. However, for my Yinkin magic, I may only use the spells that I sacrifice for which are available to Associate Priests.  Is this right?

I don't think so. Yinkin is not a subcult of Orlanth, so you have a separate rune pool that you can use for any Yinkin spells, including Shield which Yinkin gets from Orlanth. Think of the separate initiations and rune pools as if they were separate characters, you can do whatever an initiate with only that rune pool could do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Can a Humakti initiate into any other cults? I thought they ritualistically severed ties with other commitments.

Londra of Londros, Sword of Humakt, is also an associate priest of Orlanth, which was how she found employment at Old Wind Temple after the dissolution of the Temple of the Wooden Sword.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

Can a Humakti initiate into any other cults? I thought they ritualistically severed ties with other commitments.

I don't believe that is intended to prevent them ever forming new attachments. I think that, at the moment/in the process of Initiation to Humakt, other ties are cut, sure, so the Initiate starts with a 'clean slate'.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:53 AM, HreshtIronBorne said:

There was a phase where initiation into multiple cults was frowned upon, but I've always ignored that.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Multiple Initiations brings its own problems. Beyond the initial compatibility, you have commitments (of time and treasure) to both/all your Cults, which can be tricky to manage. The requirement for the Cults to be friendly probably usually means they won't each set you antagonistic goals, but doesn't mean they won't sometimes end up working at cross-purposes or having aims that simply can't both be pursued at once. For me, that's always been the downside of multiple Initiations, and I've only seen it 'frowned upon' when people do it "Will-ye, nill-ye".

On 9/25/2018 at 9:49 PM, womble said:

You have separate Rune Pools when you join different cults.

So, for example, Orlanth gets Tame Bull from Barntar, so an orlanthi could cast tame Bull with his Orlanth rune Pool, he doesn't have a Barntar Rune Pool. Now, if he also wanted to join the Barntar cult, as he is a farmer through and through, he would get an Orlanth Rune Pool and a Barntar Rune Pool. He could cast Tame Bull from either pool, as Tame Bull is available to Orlanth and Barntar. 

A better example would be Orlanth and Yinkin. Yinkin provides Identify Scent to Orlanth Adventurous, so a member of Orlanth Adventurous can use his Orlanth rune pool to cast identify Scent. If he joins Yinkin then he also gets a Yonkin Rune Pool, which he can use to cast Identify Scent and the other Yinkin spells, such as Catseye or Claws. Since Orlanth gives Yinkin Shield, the cultist can use either Orlanth Rune Pool or Yinkin Rune Pool to cast Identify Scent or Shield.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, HreshtIronBorne said:

Once you've severed ties, you've severed ties.  But if you never had them to previously sever... It's the same way Humakti can end up as thanes in their tribe.  They ritually sever themselves, then offer up their sword to someone/some group they believe worthy.  After all, Humakt is often represented as the Sword of Orlanth in myths.