Vampire Town?

jeffjerwin

It is mentioned in several sources, but I can't seem to locate it. Presumably the seat of the Lunar Empire's Vampire Legion, which might be connected to the Vampire Legion of Tanisor?

Note: In TotRM 19 it is implied that the "Vampire Kingdom" borders the Lunar Empire in northern Peloria.

..and the Sourcebook says they are rumored to 'train in the mountains'. (the Pavis book for HeroQuest further states that they 'train in the mountains of Peloria').

I doubt if these are the Yolp Mountains or Blue Moon Plateau because they are troll country, which leaves the Western Reaches/Carmania, Doblian, the Jernalf Mountains (I think this one is unlikely because the Jernotians wouldn't stand for it), Ford, or maybe Imther (I am dubious about those). If there's a connection to Dorastor... maybe the Tobros Mountains?

Edited by jeffjerwin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

It is mentioned in several sources, but I can't seem to locate it. Presumably the seat of the Lunar Empire's Vampire Legion, which might be connected to the Vampire Legion of Tanisor?

Note: In TotRM 19 it is implied that the "Vampire Kingdom" borders the Lunar Empire in northern Peloria.

..and the Sourcebook says they are rumored to 'train in the mountains'.

The location has not been specified canonically.  I've read that the mountains concerned are the Grey Mountains (which places them a bit far from any human food)

1 minute ago, metcalph said:

The location has not been specified canonically.  I've read that the mountains concerned are the Grey Mountains (which places them a bit far from any human food)

Huh. Yes, that would be difficult for them. Though perhaps they keep a population of thralls on hand.

What exactly are the feeding habits of the Gloranthan vampires that would make up a vampire "legion"?

Do they still have a full stable of human Vivamort initiates spending their existence to feed their vampire masters in the hope of joining their ranks?

The effects of the Vivamort touch in RQ2 was downright humane - you would lose temporary POW (aka magic points)  and when drained to 3 MP or less, the knowledge of the latest rune spell you sacrificed for would be transferred to the vampire, in RQG speak along with the rune points to cast it if divine, and some general hit points when donating blood. Ok, so you had to provide a victim from among your kin - I wonder whether nasty in-laws count...

I don't have the RQG bestiary yet (need to wait for christmas...), which means I haven't seen the RQG treatment of vampires and sorcery yet.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

What exactly are the feeding habits of the Gloranthan vampires that would make up a vampire "legion"?

Do they still have a full stable of human Vivamort initiates spending their existence to feed their vampire masters in the hope of joining their ranks?

The effects of the Vivamort touch in RQ2 was downright humane - you would lose temporary POW (aka magic points)  and when drained to 3 MP or less, the knowledge of the latest rune spell you sacrificed for would be transferred to the vampire, in RQG speak along with the rune points to cast it if divine, and some general hit points when donating blood. Ok, so you had to provide a victim from among your kin - I wonder whether nasty in-laws count...

I don't have the RQG bestiary yet (need to wait for christmas...), which means I haven't seen the RQG treatment of vampires and sorcery yet.

It's roughly similar - the rune spell stuff is gone - Vampires and their like no longer have POW, though they have some means of getting Vivamorti Rune Spells. So it is possible to 'responsibly' keep a community of human thralls to drain for magic points, without killing them. Neither Rathorelans nor Char-Un seem like pliant subject peoples. In TotRM 19 it was implied they took slave tribute from the Lunar Empire (probably in Spol) in exchange for their service.

At least one Carmanian Shah (Ammas the Black, r. 834-873) associated with Spol was allied with 'inhuman' allies in the Grey Mountains. He was deposed...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

In my Glorantha, the Vampire Legion is an arm if the Lunar Army and many of its members are Yanafal Tarnils Rune Lords. There is a detachment of Yanafal Tarnils troops permanently stationed with the Vampire Legion, although some are rotated in and out. These, together with other non-combat support personnel, are used as food by the Vampire Legion. When a Yanafal Tarnils Rune Lord from this unit reaches retirement, he has the opportunity to join the Vampire Legion. However, not all of the members of the Vampire Legion are Yanafal Tarnils worshippers, some are straight-up Vivamorti, others are associated with other cults. However, all are Illuminated.

My Glorantha does vary, though.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 years later...

I wonder what fun could be had taking the Lead Cross from Plunder to Vampire Town with lots of Sun Bright and Turn Undead spells...

On 11/3/2018 at 11:23 PM, jeffjerwin said:

Tobros Mountains

I like the idea, has anyone placed it there? Near Tobros' head possibly?

Besides the Sword Wrath what other famous undead slaying weapons are there? I want to recall a vampire slaying sword but don't think there was one...

image.png.614f10c23709e1f174e52e66d4f7d0c9.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

Neverdead is the closest thing to a Vampire Town that I know of.

It is at the edge of Hellwood and is full of undead of every kind, not just vampires.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:51 AM, Erol of Backford said:

I wonder what fun could be had taking the Lead Cross from Plunder to Vampire Town with lots of Sun Bright and Turn Undead spells...

I would expect that to be part of Hahlgrim's War, in fact I might include it as a scenario when I finish that supplement.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Neverdead is the closest thing to a Vampire Town that I know of.

It is at the edge of Hellwood and is full of undead of every kind, not just vampires.

Neverdead is known as a "Zombie Zoo" rather than home to undead of every kind.

"Vampire Town" is how we express the rumour we all know is true - that there is a Vivamort cult in the service of the Red Emperor, the so-called Vampire Legion. Nobody knows how big it is - 40? 100? 500? 1000? Nobody knows where it is based, although many locations get thrown out - all in out of the way places that it is very hard to confirm.

Some speculate this is some Spolite legacy, others suggest it is some gift from Dorastor like the broo regiment. 

• Like 3

On 6/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I'd like the hard cover copy please! 

POD comes a long while after publication, unfortunately.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:48 PM, Erol of Backford said:

But where to find the lead cross?

In Hell of course!

Or, in a heavily guarded Humakti, or Zorak Zorani, Temple.

Either way, you enlist the aid of an Eurmali, travel there, sneak in, trick the Guardian to get them to give it up, then sneak out again. Easy Peasy. Then you march into Vampire Town,  Neverdead, or the Isle of Wights, holding the Lead Cross up in front of you and watch the undead crumble all around you.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Either way, you enlist the aid of an Eurmali, travel there, sneak in, trick the Guardian to get them to give it up, then sneak out again. Easy Peasy. Then you march into Vampire Town,  Neverdead, or the Isle of Wights, holding the Lead Cross up in front of you and watch the undead crumble all around you.

Hold the lead cross i your hand, somehow place a glue 10 on it so you don't drop it, set an intensity 20 light spell mounted on your relic Yelmalian Helm with light-wall extension 10 then walk into Black Rock with your sunglasses on, free all the slaves, take all the treasure and feel good about it.

image.png.30cf9236aa932b65c00bace0e0aac726.png

• Like 1