Ulanin subcult for RQ:G

Alarius

Hi all.

I'm running the Eleven Light for RQ:G and I want to create the Ulanin Cult as a subcult for Orlanth. Before think to much in the matter, I'd like to listen to your advices. All of them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Alarius

1 hour ago, Alarius said:

I'm running the Eleven Light for RQ:G and I want to create the Ulanin Cult as a subcult for Orlanth.

As a subcult, keep it simple. Ulanin is a horse rider, so the subcult might provide an additional skill for training (i.e. Ride or Animal Lore) and either one spirit magic (e.g. Vigor) or Rune spell (probably Beast or Movement related).  Could be something like a variant of the Rune spell Draw Beast, but specific to horses. Or something like True Ride that doubles the Ride skill.

• Like 1

To the extent that Ulanin worship is well-defined enough to be a full-fledged subcult (as opposed to just a local land god folk offer sacrifices to), he likely provides Command Horse.

He certainly is not a better riding god than Hyalor.

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

He certainly is not a better riding god than Hyalor.

How about a spell that means that neither the horse nor the rider can become unstuck from the saddle for the duration?  It is useful when breaking in a horse, and sort of useful at other times too.  Of course there are worse things than falling off a horse... like when it rolls on you and you can't escape.

Here's what I took from reading the cult write up.

Spirit magic taught:  Heal, mobility

Cult rune magic:  Control Horse, Leap

Skills taught:  Ride Horse.  Lance,  2H spear,  Animal Lore

Ability taught:  Remain Mounted.  This is not a skill with %'s , it is an ability.  Damage must overcome the riders DEX and SIZE to dismount him.

Heroquest Ability:  Ulanin's Thunderous Charge.  This ability only available to Rune level worshippers, allows the rider to release a Thunderbolt at the end of a horse charge that does knockback damage to anyone on foot equal to the Thunderbolt's damage in a range of 6 meters.

Edited by Pentallion
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, kr0p0s said:

Ulanin is specifically know for fighting Uz. Could he not have a rune magic spell Fight Uz that gives a combat bonus against Uz?

Nothing a passion wouldn't do.

Passions and runes are the "low magic" augment approach in RQG that previously was reserved to Battle Magic spells.

Members of the Ulanin subcult could gain and cultivate an appropriate passion. Preferably with a different wording than "hate".

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

28 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Nothing a passion wouldn't do.

Passions and runes are the "low magic" augment approach in RQG that previously was reserved to Battle Magic spells.

Members of the Ulanin subcult could gain and cultivate an appropriate passion. Preferably with a different wording than "hate".

Hmmm...in the passions section, under the title Basic Passions, several common passions are described. Will we have further development of the passions mechanic in the gamemasters guide? I'm at a loss at this late hour to describe a passion more subtle than "hate" that a follower of Ulanin could bring to bear on the Uz. Has anyone developed other passions for use in their games?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord High Munchkin said:

'Despise Uz' or 'Loathe Uz'?

Despise and loathe are both synonyms for hate. How about allowing followers of Ulanin to use their Devotion (Ulanin) passion as inspiration to copy his mythological deeds in fighting Uz in defence of the stead?

I doubt that Ulanin had to deal with just uz, but also with dehori and other dark critters.

No idea whether "Proud in the face of Darkness" would be an appropriate name for a passion in RQ. In HQ, this would work just fine.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

For what it's worth, I made RQ3 style spells for Ulanin cult out of the Feats from Storm Tribe. In RQ:G I wouldn't give the subcult all of these, but you might give one or two. Here you go:

Ulanin the Rider is one of the Thunder Brothers and the Orlanth aspect most worshipped by the nomadic Pol Joni.  Ulanin has his origins in the Great Darkness and, in addition to his skill with horses, has special magic for fighting trolls.  His cult has been outlawed by the Lunars.  Ulanini have a friendly rivalry with the Elmal subcult of Beren the Rider.

CULT PERSONALITY SKILLS:  Brave, Love Horses

CULT SKILLS:  Know Troll Tactics, Kuschile Horse Archery, Ride By Attack

CULT GEAS: Never let a horse suffer needlessly.

STORM RUNE MAGIC

FACE DARKNESS (Rune Magic, Ranged, Stackable, 1 pt)  When cast on a fighter, the target may not flee from Darkness creatures or spirits (including Uz) until the caster dies.  Resistance applies. Target may resist.

FIGHT DARKNESS (Rune Magic, Ranged, Touch, 1 pt).  Each pt of the spell gives the target a +10% to hit and +2 to damage and +2 to POW for resistance checks vs. Darkness creatures (including Trolls).

TRUESPEAR (Rune Magic, Touch, 2 pts)  This spell doubles the base damage of any spear, lance, or similar weapon.  

RAPID CHARGE (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt) The caster must be mounted when casting this spell.  As soon as this spell is cast, the rider may immediately move up to his mount’s full movement in a straight line.  He may attack any one enemy at the end of this charge.  Casting the spell, the move, and the attack all count as a single action.

HORSE (BEAST) RUNE MAGIC

HEAL HORSE (Rune Magic, Touch, 2 pts.)  Heals all damage taken by a single horse including poison and other overall damage. 

STAY MOUNTED (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt.) The caster must be mounted when casting this spell.  While under the influence of this spell, the caster automatically succeeds in any riding check to stay mounted.  He can add his Riding Skill/5 to his POW to resist any spell that would unhorse him.

STEADY HORSE (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt) If the caster overcomes a horse’s resistance with this spell, the horse will act as if battle trained for the duration of the spell.  This also renders the horse immune to fear effects for the duration of the spell.

MOBILITY RUNE MAGIC

SAFE TRAIL (Rune Magic, Stackable, 1 pt.)  This spell must be cast on a mount which is on a specific trail or path.  So long as the horse moves along the trail, it gets +25% to its Balance and Climb skills per point.

SPEED HORSE (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt)  Doubles the movement rate of the target horse.  Each additional pt adds an additional 1x.  So 2pts = 3x normal, 3pts = 4x normal.

ULANIN’S SECRET (Available to Rune Levels Only)

ULANIN’S BOUND (Rune Magic, Ritual, Self and Mount, One-Use, 3 pts)  This spell creates a permanent life link between the caster and his horse.  So long as the caster is conscious and within 100m of the horse, his horse cannot be killed.  Likewise, if the horse is conscious and within 100m of the caster, the caster cannot be killed. Either (but not both) can be rendered unconscious, mutilated, chopped into pieces, but, so long as even the smallest piece remains, the caster or the horse can be healed back to full strength by appropriate magic.  Once both the caster and the horse are both unconscious, both may be killed freely and if near death, die instantly.  If the horse is somehow killed, the ritual is lost and must be recast.

• Like 1