Regimental Information

M Helsdon

I wonder if anyone has canonical information about these units they can share?

For all, I have their 'type' (cavalry, infantry, light, heavy, magical) and for a few 'uniform' details, but little else.

• Flint Legion - may not be canonical
  • Lavic Legion - may not be canonical
  • Horde Breakers - may not be canonical
  • Whipstock
  • Riverfork
  • Unriver
  • Wing Temple
  • Green Bows
  • Baron’s Friends
  • Old School

Flint Legion

Type

Heavy Infantry

Armor

Bronze cuirass and greaves

Weapons

Long spear, hoplite shield, kopis

Morale

Regular

Patron Deity

Daxdarius

Notes

Pelandan Phalanx

Magic Factor

Medium

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Despite their name this phalanx is not one of the Stonewall regiments.

Lavic Legion

Type

Heavy Infantry

Armor

Weapons

Morale

Regular

Patron Deity

Daxdarius

Notes

Pelandan Phalanx

Magic Factor

Medium

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Despite their name this phalanx is not one of the Stonewall regiments.

Their home city is Karresh.

Horde Breakers

Type

Heavy Infantry

Armor

Weapons

Morale

Regular

Patron Deity

Daxdarius

Notes

Pelandan Phalanx

Magic Factor

Medium

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Their home city is Pelandre. This city beneath Mount Jernotius is famous for its temple which holds the panoply of Daxdarius.

Whipstock

Type

Heavy Cavalry

Armor

Bronze

Weapons

Kontos, broadsword

Morale

Regular

Patron Deity

Humakt

Notes

Cataphracti

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

This regiment of Carmanian cataphracti comes from the province of Worian, a satrapy of the Western Reaches. They ride Daron destriers.

The regiment was at the Battle of Dangerford in 1625.

Riverfork

Type

Light Cavalry

Armor

None

Weapons

Bow, kopis

Morale

Militia

Patron Deity

Lendarsh

Notes

Horse Archers

Magic Factor

None

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

This regiment of Carmanian horse archers is noted for its skill at fighting Pentan cavalry.

In 1602 a troop of the regiment vanished into the Upland Marsh.

Unriver

Type

Light Cavalry

Armor

None

Weapons

Bow, short sword

Morale

Militia

Patron Deity

Sagittus

Notes

Horse Archers

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

These mounted archers from the Redlands are noted for their ability to shoot their bows while retreating away from the enemy. They ride Seredae horses.

Wing Temple

Type

Light Cavalry

Armor

None

Weapons

Bow, shield, light kopis

Morale

Militia

Patron Deity

Sagittus

Notes

Horse Archers

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

These horse archers from Oraya are scouts and skirmishers. Their tunics are blue and the helmet decorations of their officers blue and white. They ride Seredae horses.

Green Bows

Type

Light Infantry

Armor

None

Weapons

Bow

Morale

Militia

Patron Deity

Greenbow

Notes

Psiloi. Male and female unit.

+1 fighting in Woods

Magic Factor

None

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

The cult of the Green Bow is popular in the provinces. It allows its members to use only their self-made sacred bows.

The regiment is split into male and female companies.

Baron’s Friends

Type

Magical

Notes

Worship Orlanth

Magic Factor

High

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Old School

Type

Magical

Notes

Worship Orlanth

Magic Factor

Medium

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Edited by M Helsdon

I assumed the Baron in The Baron's Friends is Mularik aka Baron Sanuel. I'm not aware of any other Baron involved anywhere else close to Tarsh, and it makes sense that Mularik would organise allies from Old Tarsh prior to the invasion of Tarsh. That would imply the units high Magic would be due Mularik himself or his sorcerous assistants etc. 

The Old School are mounted magicians aren't they? And presumed to be Earth magicians in most discussion I've seen, including the (non-canonical) write up in In Wintertops Shadow, which has them as a group including all traditional Earth cults (and Kero Fin/ Sorana Tor traditions) opposed to the Hon-Eel cult. 

3 hours ago, davecake said:

I assumed the Baron in The Baron's Friends is Mularik aka Baron Sanuel. I'm not aware of any other Baron involved anywhere else close to Tarsh, and it makes sense that Mularik would organise allies from Old Tarsh prior to the invasion of Tarsh. That would imply the units high Magic would be due Mularik himself or his sorcerous assistants etc. 

I don't believe so, as early in the Hero Wars, Mularik has no association with Tarsh, or the Exiles. His regiment is:

Mularik’s Men

Type

Heavy Cavalry

Armor

Iron

Weapons

Kontos, broadsword

Morale

Veteran

Patron Deity

Hrestol

Notes

Western mercenaries

Notes

Sorcerers, cataphracti

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

Edited by M Helsdon

3 hours ago, davecake said:

I don't believe so, as early in the Hero Wars, Mularik has no association with Tarsh, or the Exiles. His regiment is:

Mularik’s Men

Type

Heavy Cavalry

Armor

Iron

Weapons

Kontos, broadsword

Morale

33 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I don't believe so, as early in the Hero Wars, Mularik has no association with Tarsh, or the Exiles.

I think from about 1625- 1630, Mularik is probably pretty focussed on the eventual conquest of Tarsh. And after 1630 he rules it. But I was never presuming that the Baron's Friends were his own troops from the West, but rather a magical group he had organised within Old Tarsh - it is pretty clear that Mulariks own army is a small factor compared to the presence of Mularik, a minor hero, himself. Note that there is already a unit organised by him - Baron Sanuel is a Sartar Free Army infantry unit. 

And if it isn't him, we need to find another Baron. 

4 hours ago, metcalph said:

He is described as Baron of Sanuel on p44 of the Glorantha Sourcebook.

I know: in Seshnela.

4 hours ago, davecake said:

I think from about 1625- 1630, Mularik is probably pretty focussed on the eventual conquest of Tarsh. And after 1630 he rules it. But I was never presuming that the Baron's Friends were his own troops from the West, but rather a magical group he had organised within Old Tarsh - it is pretty clear that Mulariks own army is a small factor compared to the presence of Mularik, a minor hero, himself. Note that there is already a unit organised by him - Baron Sanuel is a Sartar Free Army infantry unit. 

Which has been renamed as Mularik's Men. Afraid I don't find any clear association between him and the Exiles.

Thank you for your help. I'd hoped there was some information out there. Every other regiment, I've been able to source at least a paragraph or two (a couple half a page or more) but these ones remain obscure.

Edited by M Helsdon

My point is not so much that Mularik must be the baron referred to - it is more that there isn't any other Baron we know of, and it's a Western title so there isn't likely to be another one. If there is another plausible explanation I'd like to hear it - my current campaign is Tarsh based. 

The Baron Sanuel unit seems quite different to Mulariks men - not just a rename but changing infantry to cavalry, gaining huge amount of magic, etc. 

But yeah, it would be nice for some published info. I'm actually surprised you have been able to find even a whole short paragraph on so many of the others. 

10 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Mularik’s Men

Type

Heavy Cavalry

Armor

Iron

Weapons

Kontos, broadsword

Morale

Veteran

Patron Deity

Hrestol

Notes

Western mercenaries

Notes

Sorcerers, cataphracti

Magic Factor

Low

Missile Factor

Melee Factor

How is it that Mularik's men are Hrestoli?  Mularik himself is Arkati, and Rindland, where Mularik put his unit together is Rokari these days.  Were they Hrestoli facing persecution unless they left in a hurry?  I am a little surprised that the unit isn't Rokari, given that Rinland is Rokari.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

How is it that Mularik's men are Hrestoli?  Mularik himself is Arkati, and Rindland, where Mularik put his unit together is Rokari these days.  Were they Hrestoli facing persecution unless they left in a hurry?  I am a little surprised that the unit isn't Rokari, given that Rinland is Rokari.

It's purely my guess. Will update to Invisible God.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Darius West said:

Unit traditions and such may outlast short religious fads decided by wizards. Being close to Ralios (especially Holut with its Galvosti variation on Hrestolism) and Fornoar offers areas of retreat, being close to Kustria offers wizard-disapproved outlets for Adventurism. Having left in time to escape official wizard scrutiny probably helps, too.

If you want to have sorcerer knights, any form of Hrestolism will be preferable to Rokarism. In Mularik's case, I would make a case for closet Galvosti Hrestolism for his men if they are from Rindland.

If Mularik assembled his unit after he had to leave home, all options are available, including inheriting a sizeable contingent of Sir Narib's Pithdarans.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 2/11/2019 at 6:17 PM, davecake said:

My point is not so much that Mularik must be the baron referred to - it is more that there isn't any other Baron we know of, and it's a Western title so there isn't likely to be another one. If there is another plausible explanation I'd like to hear it - my current campaign is Tarsh based.

Afraid I don't believe they are one and the same.

The Baron Sanuel unit seems quite different to Mulariks men - not just a rename but changing infantry to cavalry, gaining huge amount of magic, etc. 

As Mularik is the Baron of Sanuel, its one of many changes from earlier material. 

But yeah, it would be nice for some published info. I'm actually surprised you have been able to find even a whole short paragraph on so many of the others. 

Most have a quarter of a page, including the stats block. Others have half a page or more. This has required considerable archaeology over a period of time, and a detailed analysis of published sources.

My latest question, for the next sketch, is: What are Daxdarius' Runes? As a war god, I'd assume Death and ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joerg said:

If Mularik assembled his unit after he had to leave home, all options are available, including inheriting a sizeable contingent of Sir Narib's Pithdarans.

Sir Narib's regiment is quite distinct; he entered Argrath’s service in 1624 after the Battle of Pennel Ford (his mercenary company had been active in Esrolia from 1620). After the battle, Mularik went west where he became Baron of Sanuel, a castle on the Seshnelan coast.

Edited by M Helsdon

1 hour ago, jeffjerwin said:

Truth and Mastery? He usurped power in Pelanda and took slaves.

And is now a war god credited with creating the first phalanxes.

Tomorrow am going to sketch a Pelandan hoplite - would be nice to feature the Daxdarius Runes, but I can get around it, by not showing the face of the shield.

Edited by M Helsdon

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Sir Narib's regiment is quite distinct; he entered Argrath’s service in 1624 after the Battle of Pennel Ford (his mercenary company had been active in Esrolia from 1620).

Sir Narib brought his regiment over to Nochet in the wake of the Lunar invasion of Heortland and has his own barracks/home outside the city in Meldektown.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Sir Narib brought his regiment over to Nochet in the wake of the Lunar invasion of Heortland and has his own barracks/home outside the city in Meldektown.

Yes. Here's an old sketch of one of his horali...

Have been pointed to a source that has Daxdarius' Runes as Death and Harmony, but probably not canonical.

horaliv2 annotated.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Afraid I don't believe they are one and the same.

I'm not saying that you have to - I'm saying that you will not answer the question of 'who are the Baron's Friends?' until you have identified which Baron we are talking about, and there is currently only one candidate. If you don't believe Mularik is the Baron talked about here, then come up with another hypothesis or leave the question unanswered. 

7 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Most have a quarter of a page, including the stats block. Others have half a page or more. This has required considerable archaeology over a period of time, and a detailed analysis of published sources.

I am astonished you got that much info from Published sources - are there major public sources I am missing? The majority of units seem to have a single sentence or two, apart from the stats block in published materials. I gather a significant amount of work was done for a planned miniatures game at some point, I don't think if this is the material that has been published on glorantha.com by Jeff (at least for the Lunars) or whether there is a pile of unpublished work somewhere. 

5 hours ago, davecake said:

I'm not saying that you have to - I'm saying that you will not answer the question of 'who are the Baron's Friends?' until you have identified which Baron we are talking about, and there is currently only one candidate. If you don't believe Mularik is the Baron talked about here, then come up with another hypothesis or leave the question unanswerered.

That's why I asked the question.

Jeff has been kind enough to send me information on some regiments, and there's significant amounts scattered across the old Glorantha.com site, HQ:G and Sartar books, WF#15, the Glorantha Sourcebook, and the Guide.