Swearing in the Sanctum

dracopticon

Hello everybody!

I just want to thank everyone here who helped me before with ideas on how to possibly change the statistics rolls and other stuff earlier.

Anyway, now I am going "Swear in the Church" (a Swedish proverb, meaning "to say something out of place" or "not allowed"). The thing is, I adore some parts of the new RQ: Roleplaying in Glorantha, especially the setting and general feel of the game. It's just fab to be able to roleplay such wondrous RQ characters and we owe so much to the many talented people making that possible in this age of AD&D/D&D spinoff OSR and other horrid stuff, *shudder*, most prominently of course Greg Stafford himself. I am so lucky to have been able to buy a 1st edition from him on Ebay.

But: I am also in love with some parts of the Mythras "RQ" system, such as the combat system, the (better) strike rank system, the general robustness of the character in Mythras compared to RQ:RiG and other parts. So, my question (my swearing in the church) is: has anyone made some kind of hybrid system of these two, where the best/most balanced parts of both BRP variants have been put together into a better thing? Thanks for any replies to this.

I apologize if this has already been replied to in another (by me unread) thread.

//Erik.

Edited by dracopticon
  • Thanks 1

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

I recall thinking that RQ 6 was incredibly modular and that it had been designed to shed or accept whole areas of rules. Whitaker and Nash even suggest doing this. I do not think that RQ RiG is as modular but thankfully it is BRP so it is inherently modular, though with a lot of modularity designed out. If Mythras has maintained the RQ 6 modularity you might need to use it as the base and graft on passions, runes, cults etc to taste from RQ RiG. I am going to guess going this route is should be slick. Keep us up to date please. 

To avoid bending noses out of joints I should ask... is this the right forum for this topic or like dracopticon has suggested, are we swearing in church and this thread should move to Mythras?

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

If Mythras has maintained the RQ 6 modularity you might need to use it as the base and graft on passions, runes, cults etc to taste from RQ RiG.

Mythras has maintained exactly the same modularity. It also has very good rules for Passions and Cults too, which should be relatively easy to use with RQ:G.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

22 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I recall thinking that RQ 6 was incredibly modular and that it had been designed to shed or accept whole areas of rules. Whitaker and Nash even suggest doing this. I do not think that RQ RiG is as modular but thankfully it is BRP so it is inherently modular, though with a lot of modularity designed out. If Mythras has maintained the RQ 6 modularity you might need to use it as the base and graft on passions, runes, cults etc to taste from RQ RiG. I am going to guess going this route is should be slick. Keep us up to date please. 

To avoid bending noses out of joints I should ask... is this the right forum for this topic or like dracopticon has suggested, are we swearing in church and this thread should move to Mythras?

Yes, the modularity of RQ6 should be a basis for easier mixing. I just assumed, just as you said, that by both of them being BRP it would not be that much problem. That someone already had, and it seems by hkokko's words, it's possible. I will be checking. Thanks for asking the important question if this should be ported to the Mythras section. It probably should.

The general idea is that I want: hero points, I want less magic to beginning characters, I want (as I said earlier) more robust characters HP-wise/combat wise. I am also probably going to be using my own idea that character's have as much minus-HP as they have full total HP, but become unconscious at zero HP. And also, I am not a big fan of hit locations, which perhaps will be much harder to avoid.

22 hours ago, hkokko said:

Running Glorantha happily in Mythras + Aig. check my blog. Notesfrompavis.wordpress.com

Thanks for the tip hkokko! I have already been reading your fantastic resources on the net! I am going to use the spell pages, but with much less beginning magic for starting characters than original rules use, like beginning PCs can take one spirit spell before initiation (which I choose to move to an ingame development). Likewise downsizing opponent magics and abilities. That last part will probably be a hairy business. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Raleel said:

my guess is you could import the Rune rules in wholesale (or close to it), and use similar cultures/careers in Mythras and you'd have what you want.

Thanks for the suggestion Raleel! I will look more closely at that possibility.

• Like 1

We are using a hybrid of Revolution and RQG at the moment, but in Dark Ages Britain.

I am using Revolution's excellent Skills/Traits/Stunts system with some spells from RQG. If I need to use stead management, I'll use the RQG rules. Combat is really RQG with Revolution Combat Effects, which seems to be working well.

As Revolution is quite close to Mythras, in many ways, it would probably be as easy.

The trick is to decide which parts of which system you are going to use and sticking with them. Also, you'll need to House Rule some stuff, especially where the two systems don't gel as much.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, dracopticon said:

Yes, the modularity of RQ6 should be a basis for easier mixing.

I would think so

1 hour ago, dracopticon said:

. Thanks for asking the important question if this should be ported to the Mythras section. It probably should.

Politeness and all.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 5/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, soltakss said:

We are using a hybrid of Revolution and RQG at the moment, but in Dark Ages Britain.

I am using Revolution's excellent Skills/Traits/Stunts system with some spells from RQG. If I need to use stead management, I'll use the RQG rules. Combat is really RQG with Revolution Combat Effects, which seems to be working well.

As Revolution is quite close to Mythras, in many ways, it would probably be as easy.

The trick is to decide which parts of which system you are going to use and sticking with them. Also, you'll need to Hopuse Rule some stuff, especially where the two systems don't gel as much.

Exactly. House Ruling is, as so many times before, absolutely essential. I do it all the time, with every game I run. But this time it seems, when I want *Heroes* for Hero Wars, I can't really go with certain parts of the basic RQG. The character's are generally too weak, there's too much magic flying around for my own taste - even if Glorantha IS steeped in magic. Still want to see magics as something rather mystical, at least the Runic part. The Spirit magic less so. I think I will go with the fact that the PCs are not initiates from the beginning, and they get that status during play, but can start with one Spirit Magic spell, unless you're playing a priest, in which case I allow Runic Magic and 3 spells at start. I'm also down sizing the opponents magic in the adventures.

Edited by dracopticon