Rubble and Ruin: A Basic Role Playing setting monograph.

rleduc

Hello,

I just heard from Dustin that my monograph proposal has been accepted! :) Below is how I described the monograph to Chaosium. I am currently hoping to get it submitted by early summer 2009.

If anyone is interested, I would welcome some volunteer play testers! Please let me know if this is something you might be interested in.

Thanks,

Rich

--------------------------------------------------

Rubble and Ruin: A Basic Role Playing setting monograph.

It is twenty years after the end of the global wars and our world lies in ruin. Once great cities are now nothing more then bombed and shattered hulks populated with bioengineered soldiers, giant rats and rouge robots. This is the world of Rubble and Ruin a setting for Basic Role Playing inspired by the classic post apocalyptic fiction of the 1970's and 80's.

Chapters:

Chapter 1: The Ruined City. This 7,000 word chapter introduces the ruined city and its denizens. It gives a short timeline and a "gazetteer" of the major components of the setting. It also introduces the concept of "prospectors"; those brave (or foolish) adventurers that enter the ruins in order to recover bits and pieces of technology to trade the enclaves.

Chapter 2: Characters. Over 13,000 words presenting six cultures, seven new races, a complete listing of all skills and specialties used in Rubble and Ruin - including 13 new skills, a complete listing of the professions available to the different cultures, plus a section on powers giving simple mechanics for biomodifications, cybernetics, nanopsionics and dozens of new failings.

Chapter 3: Spot Rules. A chapter with over 10,000 words giving expanded rules for those things of special interest in the rubble; barter, firearms, building and fighting from cars, and the prospectors best friend the common dog.

Chapter 4: A World of Rubble. A chapter with 8,000 words detailing the world from the game master's perspective. It includes some overview material as well as a bestiary, information on hostile elements of the environment, and sample gangs.

Chapter 5: Adventures. This chapter has two 5,000 word introductory adventures and four 500 word adventure seeds. The first adventure, "The Vent Fan" describes a small underground bunker that a group of prospectors discover while hunting for salvageable technology. They quickly learn that there is an underground complex surviving from the second Global War - populated with various monsters and full of valuable technology. The second adventure, "Kicks on Route 666" details an inter-gang race with lots of post-fall cars, vehicle mounted weapons and very few rules. Be sure to gather information on your competition before the race - and you might want to also sabotage their vehicles. The four adventure seeds introduce oddities that can be found in the ruin and that a game master can expand into several sessions of adventure.

Common Trade Goods: The monograph ends with over 10,000 words about equipment and other items that can be found in the ruin; everything from tools and weapons to nanites and hand-held sensors. All the gear has trade values and encumbrance as well as short descriptions wherever they are needed.

It's exciting to see all these announcements! Congrats, and I love me some post-holocaust! :D

My impression is that this sounds like a Fallout 3 type setting. Closer to an Aftermath than Gamma World?

BTW, "rouge robots"? Nothing terrifies survivors like robots with blush on their metallic faces. Rogue robots they can deal with.

...this sounds interesting. It sounds a little bit like the Swedish roleplaying game of "Mutant - Undergangens Arvtagare", where descendants of people of today have survived many devastaing wars in a farflung future and many mutations have set in on the population. In that setting though, a sort of twisted humor is a really important part. Is there any room for that in your setting?

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

It's exciting to see all these announcements! Congrats, and I love me some post-holocaust! :D

My impression is that this sounds like a Fallout 3 type setting. Closer to an Aftermath than Gamma World?

BTW, "rouge robots"? Nothing terrifies survivors like robots with blush on their metallic faces. Rogue robots they can deal with.

The world started life as an Aftermath! Game. The cosmetics-and-robots bit is just a product of my lysdexia (the hardest part will be trying to catch all those before it goes to print).

...this sounds interesting. It sounds a little bit like the Swedish roleplaying game of "Mutant - Undergangens Arvtagare", where descendants of people of today have survived many devastaing wars in a farflung future and many mutations have set in on the population. In that setting though, a sort of twisted humor is a really important part. Is there any room for that in your setting?

I put a lot of thought into what I was going to propose – I could see two ways to do the monograph. The first would be to write a generic “create-your-own-PA-world” work something like Aftermath! The other approach was to take one PA world and detail it. In my mind the world that you get in a PA setting depends heavily on the “A” part – since I wanted to include a lot of “cool” science fiction stuff that I had developed for my own games I finally settled on doing my “Dungeons and Dragons with guns” setting.

That said, R&R will have a lot of material that can be useful for a variety of PA settings – even if you trash my world and history. Most of the professions should be generic enough for any 20-years after game. Likewise the skills and specialties should be generally applicable. For example, I have a more detailed medical system which is of value in games without magical healing – R&R has skills like Trauma Medicine and Surgery.

So the short answer is, yeah I think you will find the material helpful for most PA games, and a lot of them can be run with very little modification.

It will be a big one.

I currently have 54 pages using an 8 point font – when I was working in 10 point it was almost 80! I’ll have to improve my layout skills before I will know for sure, but Dustin called the proposal a “monster”.

Rich

It will be a big one.

I currently have 54 pages using an 8 point font – when I was working in 10 point it was almost 80! I’ll have to improve my layout skills before I will know for sure, but Dustin called the proposal a “monster”.

Rich

Hehehe. :D

Do you have an illustration for the blurb, or shall I just try to find something postapocalyptic-like?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

First "Ashes to Ashes" and now "Rubble and Ruin." Where's Bob the Builder now that we need him?

I still remember when Bob The Builder pipped eminem to the number one slot in the UK charts. Neil Morissey (the so-called 'voice of Bob' but that's clearly in a Metranon role rather than an indication that Bob is in anyway a fictional character needing a vocal artist to read his lines) was asked if he was worried that eminem might try and take revenge. He responded that his heavy metal machine team would be more than a match.

Who will be first to stat up Scoop and co. then?

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Around my house it’s “Jay Jay the Jet Plane”...

If anyone is interested, I will be blogging about Rubble and Ruin on my blog on this forum (just follow the “Blogs” link in the upper right corner of this message). Please feel free to visit.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Good luck in getting this done Rich. It sounds as though the BRP monograph is going to be nice and varied, with yet another interesting addition. :thumb:

I plan to buy most if not all BRP monographs so I can hopefully look forward to this appearing.

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

As a labor of love it is starting to push limits – but it will get done! Chapter 5 has two mid-length adventures and I am working on finish both of them (I have over 3,000 of 10,000 words written), Chapter 1 is being edited (a buddy of mine who is an English professor at a university in Thailand has agreed to edit it), and I have started worrying about layout and artwork (thanks again Puck) – oh, and playtesting – lots of parts, but it is coming together!

For the record, I have no idea what it will cost, but it looks like it will be around 100 pages (or somewhat more).