Disruption

Noita

We played that Disruption affected living/undead and Crack affected everything else.

Crack has no effect on a living person, so why should Disruption affect other materials?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 3/4/2017 at 8:32 AM, g33k said:

Thank you for this!  Can you give anything "official" RE the OP's original query:  does the Disruption spell affect inanimate objects (such as ropes, doors, saddlegirths, linchpins, wagonwheels, etc)?

Also, RE MJSadique's point above:  if the damage can "ignore armor," can it ignore "armor points" (i.e. tough targets, what d20 calls "damage resistance") that don't have separate "armor"?

Note that an answer of "the rules don't specify, house-rule as desired" Is fine (but implies the followup question, will this be resolved in the new edition?)

Many thanks!

I think the spell description is pretty straight-forward - the spell damages the target's body and requires overcoming the target's POW. That means its target needs to have a body and have POW (or at least magic points for those corporeal entities lacking a POW characteristic).

And armor points do not absorb Disruption damage.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Mankcam said:

I agree with this implication that this spell is intended to affect living organisms rather than inanimate objects.

I have never heard of an inanimate object's mass referred to as a 'body' in commonly spoken English, and the reference usually pertains to a living creature. Yes, the term 'Body' can actually technically refer to the mass of anything, but in commonly spoken English language it usually indicates a living creature, so I have always interpreted the spell description as pertaining to such.

So I personally feel very clear with not being able to use Disrupt on most inanimate objects. 

However to throw a spanner in the works - does this mean it works on trees and plants? And if so, does it work on wooden furniture and such?

Yes, it works on plants, if they have a body and POW score. Just ask an Aldyrami. No, it doesn't work on furniture, 

12 hours ago, Mankcam said:

By this reckoning it would not work on the Undead either...hmmm

Depends on the Undead. Corporeal undead have a body, and a POW/Magic Point score, so they can be targeted. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

7 hours ago, Jeff said:

I think the spell description is pretty straight-forward - the spell damages the target's body and requires overcoming the target's POW. That means its target needs to have a body and have POW (or at least magic points for those corporeal entities lacking a POW characteristic).

And armor points do not absorb Disruption damage.

... aaaaand, this seems to be the Fat Lady, singing (no offense, Jeff -- I hope you like Opera!)...

Official word, which addresses/settles all the issues raised.  THANK YOU !

(gotta love how responsive Chaosium is!  Just sayin')

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 minutes ago, g33k said:

... aaaaand, this seems to be the Fat Lady, singing (no offense, Jeff -- I hope you like Opera!)...

(gotta love how responsive Chaosium is!  Just sayin')

It's interesting to see how people use the rules differently, in this case for Disruption, and not to have an instant intervention giving us the One True Way for Da Rulzs.

And I'm glad if Jeff is more focused on the current RQ version than RQ2, which is probably played within a group's House Rule system anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jongjom said:

It's interesting to see how people use the rules differently, in this case for Disruption, and not to have an instant intervention giving us the One True Way for Da Rulzs.

Oh, I agree that everyone's free to vary their mileage.  I do so myself!  But it's also a Good Thing to have clarity on what the existing RAW are, precisely... from which we each vary (or don't) as tastes suit.  NOT having this sort of clarity leads to a big mess of misunderstandings and miscommunications down the road...  

And as you note, seeing the different ideas in various online contexts is great, allowing for all sorts of inspiration & cross-pollination!  Apologies all 'round if my phrasing was taken as an intent to shut down discussion!  It very much was not; just to note that the factual debate over "Disruption" under the RAW had been Officially Settled.

Personally, I welcome a further exploration of the general topics ... unexpected uses & interesting variations upon "standard" spells, ways to make them more-useful, more-dangerous, etc; and ways for GM's to compensate for player-ingenuity!!!  Also things like the consequences of reliable and substantive "magic" upon the ancient-world vibe that is Glorantha (e.g. "why castles," and "shotgun wand FTW" and so forth)...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, g33k said:

Pah, official word is all very well, but we thrive on unfounded opinions here.

• Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

Pah, official word is all very well, but we thrive on unfounded opinions here.

well of course we do!

But it would have been kinda rude to say to Jeff, "Thank you for that.  Now go away so we can get back to the scrum."  Wouldn't it?

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

But it would have been kinda rude to say to Jeff, "Thank you for that.  Now go away so we can get back to the scrum."  Wouldn't it?

Nah, he's used to that kind of thing. He's got a very thick skin, does Jeff. :)

2 hours ago, TRose said:

Was told he has armor enchanting 4 on all hit locations

Then he's dead, IMO.

Pretty sure armor enchanting doesn't give you magic defenses, it simply raises the AP of the armor in that location.

You know, that armor that's ignored by disrupt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styopa said:

Then he's dead, IMO.

Pretty sure armor enchanting doesn't give you magic defenses, it simply raises the AP of the armor in that location.

You know, that armor that's ignored by disrupt.

First, we had Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe ... Now, Styopa's starting in on Glorantha (or at least Chaosium).

:P

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, TRose said:

Was told he has armor enchanting 4 on all hit locations

I got Shield 4 as a result of heroquesting into the depths of the Gloranthan underworld. And Shield (unlike Armoring Enchantment) blocks Disruption spells (unless they are boosted with a lot of magic points!).

• Like 3

On 7.3.2017 at 4:17 PM, styopa said:

Yeah, but does disrupt ignore NATURAL armor?

Nope. Natural armor will get disrupted, just like the rest of the targeted area. And that hurts for 1D3 points.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis