Magic Monograph

Trifletraxor

Do you mean mine?

Well, I've updated Battle Magic to BRP.

The monograph is almost finished. It currently stands at 71 pages, but will probably lose some of that in the course of editing and lay out. The manuscript will probably be finished in the next week or so, then editing and layout will happen next. I have three artists providing artwork, but I'm looking for more.

It contains updated rules for all the original Battle/Spirit Magic spells and over 20 new spells. A full update of the Ritual magic rules, including a plethora of new Enchantments and Ceremonies. There are stats for entities waiting to be summoned and bound, from general level, to powerful, to Lord level beings. Also there is a host of magic items demonstrating the uses of the enchantment rules. A smattering of premade NPCs at different power levels demonstrate what characters at different campaign levels might look like.

In addition to all this old and new material are campaign options contained throughout the system, allowing gamemasters to tailor Battle magic to their campaigns. Now it can be used to represent everything from Gloranthan spirit magic, to divine spells, to even more typical wizardry (including direct damage magic).

After this book, I'm slated to write up Divine Magic (which will obviously tie quite closely to this book as well). :)

Matthew

When you say slated to write up Divine magic do you mean for publishing ie Chaosium product or monograph ?

PS. The magic monograph sounds cool, you can count on at least one sale :D

It will be the next Monograph I do for them (I've already got some of it written but its taken a back seat to the Battle magic book).

However, I have already approached Dustin about the possibility of doing a single large (published) book containing all the old magic systems in it. He says that they will be considering this and watching the Battle magic mono 'closely'.

So no promises or anything, but it might end up getting a full treatment. I'm happy just doing the monos to be honest, but would love a 'proper' published book as well.

:thumb: sweet! My group and I have been looking into converting spells from other sources for specific type spell-slingers and this (and your next project) sounds just like what the doctor ordered! I'm especially excited about the ceremony and enchanting rules/procedures. Missed those greatly from RQ!

Cheers,

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

It will be the next Monograph I do for them (I've already got some of it written but its taken a back seat to the Battle magic book).

However, I have already approached Dustin about the possibility of doing a single large (published) book containing all the old magic systems in it. He says that they will be considering this and watching the Battle magic mono 'closely'.

So no promises or anything, but it might end up getting a full treatment. I'm happy just doing the monos to be honest, but would love a 'proper' published book as well.

The idea of a full treatment magic book sounds excellent to me, much as I'm looking forward to the monographs I think a 'proper' published book is the way to go, certainly it strikes me that along with a bestiary it should one of the 'core' books for the BRP line. Stuff I'd like to see in such a book would be:

1] battle magic/spirit magic spells

2] ritual magic

3] divine magic

4] the balance of the 'sorcery' spells from Elric/The bronze grimoire ( about 60 odd I think )

5] expanded and BRPised version of the runic sorcery system from The bronze grimoire

6] expanded and BRPised version of the Ki skills from Land of Ninja

7] more 'magic' spells

Get that lot in and you've got a pretty meaty tome.

The idea of a full treatment magic book sounds excellent to me, much as I'm looking forward to the monographs I think a 'proper' published book is the way to go, certainly it strikes me that along with a bestiary it should one of the 'core' books for the BRP line. Stuff I'd like to see in such a book would be:

2] ritual magic

3] divine magic

4] the balance of the 'sorcery' spells from Elric/The bronze grimoire ( about 60 odd I think )

5] expanded and BRPised version of the runic sorcery system from The bronze grimoire

7] more 'magic' spells

That's exactly what I would like to do! I'm hoping that they will be interested in something similar because I agree, it would be nice to have all the old material updated and shiny for players to buy along with their BRP book.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

All this will indeed be useful, as the old spell lists are all very out of print. But it will create a lot of confusion, as many of the old standard RQ spells are now in MRQ (and in the SRD, so they circulate freely w/o copyright issues). We could end up with Just Another Version of Bladesharp and Shield.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

2] ritual magic

3] divine magic

7] more 'magic' spells

I'd add to this the improvisational magic from the Unknown East and if you can steal ideas from Corum (don't know how rights work there) on the Magical Melds. In addition, the old SB summoning systems are pretty compact and lots of fun IMO: still my favorite summoning system for BRP (though I roll attributes, rather than distribute them).

Really, a completely magic tome could easily be put together that just combines all the various magic systems published for BRP games, which each getting it's own chapter. I would probably skip RQIII sorcery though, and expand the Magic World system in the base BRP book to cover the same ground.

All this will indeed be useful, as the old spell lists are all very out of print. But it will create a lot of confusion, as many of the old standard RQ spells are now in MRQ (and in the SRD, so they circulate freely w/o copyright issues). We could end up with Just Another Version of Bladesharp and Shield.
I think that the tome SHOULD include those old standards, even though they have been used elsewhere. To my mind, the goal of the tome is to have everything magical in one place, so it should include some of the more prosaic spells.

As long as there is enough other material (and maybe organizing everything that's come before is enough value), I wouldn't worry about covering familiar ground.

As for confusion, there are so many versions of almost everything in RPG that either players can deal with it, or they choose one reference source and stick to that. The tome could be THE source for those people.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Also - Nephilim (Core and J SNead's excellent Liver Ka) and Pendragon 4th Edition...

:D

Nick

I suspect we won't see those included because

1] Nephilim is still available from the Chaosium website as a product in it's own right, and wasn't it leased from a French company ie: copyright issues

2] Pendragon is also owned by somebody else isn't it ?

I think that the tome SHOULD include those old standards, even though they have been used elsewhere. To my mind, the goal of the tome is to have everything magical in one place, so it should include some of the more prosaic spells.

As long as there is enough other material (and maybe organizing everything that's come before is enough value), I wouldn't worry about covering familiar ground.

As for confusion, there are so many versions of almost everything in RPG that either players can deal with it, or they choose one reference source and stick to that. The tome could be THE source for those people.

Steve

My monograph, at least, will include all the old spells. This is, after all, marketed not just at the old fans, but those who might have bought the shiny BRP book without owning anything Runequest. For them, those spells won't be prosaic or duplicated.

Not to mention that some of them will have clearer rules and optional effects as well.

If the 'Big Book 'o Magic' gets green lit, I imagine it will cover much of the same ground as well, but as Steve said could then be THE one and only source on all BRP magic everywhere. Which I think would be pretty awesome.

If the 'Big Book 'o Magic' gets green lit, I imagine it will cover much of the same ground as well, but as Steve said could then be THE one and only source on all BRP magic everywhere. Which I think would be pretty awesome.
Technically, I didn't say "...one and only..." I've never seen this community have "one and only" of anything.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

ETA of submitting it to Chaosium? (And what's yoru second/last name if your woudl care to reveal it?)

SGl.

Do you mean rough draft submission or final submission?

I just about finished the bulk of the text today... wow, did I just say that? Yeah, there are a couple of small editing details and a blob of text I need to insert, but I'd say the rough draft will be finished tomorrow. I'll do some editing on it and then submit it to Dustin maybe after the weekend? Then, assuming they are good with it, it'll be dependent on my artists and how long the layout takes.

That kind of thing is hard for me to judge, but I'd say maybe by the end of April?

Hopefully!

Matthew Skipper

Tywyll, did you check the discussion on the D100 Glorantha group? You are a member but you are set to not receive emails. Man messages are just noise but there are some interesting ideas.

Its been awhile since I looked at that group. I'll go check on it, as soon as yahoogroups stops being full of fail. Is there anything specific you'd suggest I check out?