WeAreAllUs: play KAP and honor Greg Stafford, October 10 - 31

MOB

To mark the anniversary of Greg Stafford's passing, we encourage Chaosium fans and gamers in general to play a tabletop game from October 10 to October 31 in his memory. To that end we'll be releasing a set of new free adventures for all our major game systems, including his beloved KING ARTHUR PENDRAGON. Details about these scenarios in the coming weeks. 

More information here:

• Like 7

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

I've been organizing a weekend of games for many people I've played with over the years on the 26th. It's a big group of 15+ and many people who haven't played Pendragon. I'll make sure we get at least one good game of KAP in for the memory of Mr. Stafford with hopefully one of these adventures.

Thanks for the great game, Greg, it's brought me and many others a lot of enjoyment and I'm happy to introduce it to even more people. Thanks to the staff of Chaosium and the folks working on the adventures. I appreciate all of the hard work.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matt Ryan's map of "The Castle of the Kite", from KAP adventure THE QUEST OF THE RED BLADE, one of the five FREE scenarios we'll be releasing on Oct 10 to mark the first anniversary of Greg Stafford's passing. The scenario is by Greg Stafford himself. #weareallus

1748979112_CastleoftheKite.thumb.png.858c63b54cab1b787fbb74f23bf501c1.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

#WeAreAllUs: The Quest of the Red Blade—A review of Greg Stafford’s unpublished scenario for King Arthur Pendragon published by Chaosium, Inc. to mark the first anniversary of his passing.

http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/2019/10/weareallus-quest-of-red-blade.html

#reviewsfromrlyeh #rpgreview #rpgreviews #rpg #Arthurian #Chaosium #KingArthur #Pendragon

Edited by pookie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SirUkpyr said:

Where would one find the free download for 7th Sea?

I tried to find it in the 7th Sea forum, but could not find a link to the download.

Does anyone have a link?

Here you go:

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/WeAreAllUs/2019/The Sword of Kings - 7th Sea.pdf

Edited by mandrill_one
Didn't read the OP's message correctly.

17 hours ago, SirUkpyr said:

Thank you Thank you!!

You're very welcome!

If I may, you are sorely missing some serious entertainment (and other chances to honor Greg's memory...) if you don't also download and play the other free "We Are All Us" adventures (for Pendragon - by Greg himself! -, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest and HeroQuest). They are available strarting from here:
https://www.chaosium.com/we-are-all-us-free-adventures/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mandrill_one said:

You're very welcome!

If I may, you are sorely missing some serious entertainment (and other chances to honor Greg's memory...) if you don't also download and play the other free "We Are All Us" adventures (for Pendragon - by Greg himself! -, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest and HeroQuest). They are available strarting from here:
https://www.chaosium.com/we-are-all-us-free-adventures/

*Laughs*

Am already running the Quest of the Red Blade, and plan on running the CoC adventure as well.

THEY ROCK!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SirUkpyr said:

*Laughs*

Am already running the Quest of the Red Blade,

You know I think yours is the first post that actually mentions running the adventure. Congrats!

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

[Beware, english is not my fist language] No written scenario survives contact with the players.

So… My campaign was currently in 535 ( !),and I decided to play « the quest of the Red Blade » last Sunday, and it was … interesting ?

The group was high level with two round table knights and a third fellow very close to it with an Dex 24, aka the « ninja knight », all with partial plate. So I buffed up the opposition, with warriors with 5d6 damage, some longbows, etc.

The first part, with all the journey and the meeting with Gregor of Stafford and the others, was played as written. I was afraid it became tedious (another host, another talking, etc.), but the players were happy, and I was happy to present them the « savage » cambrians and their pre-feodal ways.

The best encounter was king Garan and his magical crane, a proper arthurian « marvel ». I roleplayed all his long tale with all of his glorious ancestors, and it was probably the best roleplaying encounter of the game. My players were overhelmed by all the news, and they forgot 90% of it.

The encounter with the knights of Gomeret was short and bloody. After that, they pondered what to do next.

1. 1)      They could rally the invading army.
  2. 2)      They could go to the castle of the Kite to warn the evil king about the invading army to win his trust (and then stole the sword).
  3. 3)      They could use the invading army like a big diversion and take advantage of it to sneak around to stole the sword unnoticed.

Of course, they chose 3) after much talking, and I was forced to improvise.

They tried to gain intel in a local hamlet (Minffordd), but the villagers warned their king of the intruders. PK were purchased by 15 mounted warriors. They felt their invitation was a trap. A fight ensued. 10 mounted warriors were slain, and the others fled.

After that, they decided to hide and to wait the invading Gomeret army to sneak into the castle. They were shocked the Gomeret army was so easily defeated. I described a heavy fog engulfing the whole army to « show » them the powers of Idris.

Then, they runned to the castle to attack it before the return of the victorious army. I decided than the garnison left behind was minimal (20 warriors and 3 knights).

The ninja knight infiltrated into the castle. Without his armor, his climbing and discretion skills were at 24. Despite my best efforts (he made 10 rolls at least), he managed to open the front door. His 2 friends rushed in. There was a few skirmishes, an longbow archer in the round tower they learned to fear, and then the big battle in the keep.

They fight the two surviving knights with 6 warriors. It was a harsh fight they managed to win. After the surrender of the last knight, the survivors of the garnison dropped their weapons in fear and surrendered as well.

At 3, they just took an impregnable fortress. My players discovered the treasure (150 £ !), and their joy knew no limits anymore. At this point, Pig Boy approached the party and explained his situation. They briefly hesitated to negociate with the evil king to exchange his sword against his son, but were revulsed by his cannibalistic habits.

So, they cooked up a new plan. They went to king Garan (The Crane King) with Pig Boy. The son was the bait to lure the evil king to their trap outside Merionnyd. I felt it was their first brillant idea of the day.

King Garan was happy to learn that he did have an opportunity to avenge all his ancestors and gathered his own army (100 warriors).

The Merionnyd army was ambushed in a last battle. The evil king Cadwallader died in a duel against a PK. They recovered the sword, and convinced king Garan to give up his claim on the blade.

Pig Boy was renamed Adelin (the saint of the day they met him), and left to the care of king Garan (his great-great nephew ?). I supposed king Garan will marry the boy to one of his daughters to unify the two kingdoms. Everything was well.

The End.

PS : By the way, my players felt the sword was cursed, so they broke the blade into pieces🤣

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So, this is late, and I should have mentioned this way earlier. I introduced Gregor de Stafford as a young knight in 513 (the year we were in at the time for the GPC.) And he had told the group the tale of the Red Blade and the villainous wielder. My group decided that magic swords and villains were too dangerous, so they'd let someone else handle it or come back to it later.... So, instead they decided to do some "safe" and went hunting and fought in a battle. Hahaha.

Edit: For curiosity sake, it's still on the docket and their mid way through 514.

Edited by Username
  • Like 1

Finally finished the Red Blade adventure, as we had to skip our November game due to *life*.

They find Pig-Boy, and decide that he should not be killed by his father, so they get him into the stables and disguise him as one of their squires - then have some of their squires ride out of the castle to go hide about half-days ride past the first hamlet they had encountered.

King Cadwalader returns with his victorious "army", and when the ruckus begins to "find Pig-Boy!" - the players come out of the guest house, armed and armored, and loudly proclaim that they had helped Pig-Boy to escape so he would not be killed.

Evil king screams "kill those miscreants and FIND PIG BOY!!" - at which point one PK takes a spear and throws it at the king - critting - and killing him with one shot.

Some of the knights and warriors attack the PKs, while a few try and get to the Red Death Blade, but one PK is faster and grabs it.

Fast forward - PKs have taken Pig Boy to the Castle of the Crane, where one of them tells King Garan "I think all of Cadwalader's son's were named Pig Boy - since he planned to eat them".

It was a fantastic game. They are thinking of giving the cool sword to the PK with the lowest sword skill, as there is little point in having a 30 Sword Skill if you cannot crit.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SirUkpyr said:

It was a fantastic game.

It sounds it, right down to the timing of the critical spear throw.

36 minutes ago, SirUkpyr said:

They are thinking of giving the cool sword to the PK with the lowest sword skill, as there is little point in having a 30 Sword Skill if you cannot crit.

Sure there is. A high skill means you win more often and don't take as much damage, as well  as tending to break weapons a little more often. Plus the red blade is going to be doing 6 points through armor, so the inability to crit isn't so bad. 

The thing to watch  out for will be with h ow the PK improves or how the  player draws up his son. A high SIZ, high STR character who does 6d6 or more really doesn't need to critical.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, SirUkpyr said:

Fast forward - PKs have taken Pig Boy to the Castle of the Crane, where one of them tells King Garan "I think all of Cadwalader's son's were named Pig Boy - since he planned to eat them".

They left PigBoy at the castle of the Crane with king Garan ? Like in my campaign... This guy is really becoming powerful!

1 hour ago, SirUkpyr said:

Evil king screams "kill those miscreants and FIND PIG BOY!!" - at which point one PK takes a spear and throws it at the king - critting - and killing him with one shot.

Despite the cover (-5), his partial plate and everything? Poor evil king...

• MOB unfeatured, featured and unpinned this topic