Jump to content
Qizilbashwoman

Weeders in THE MANDALORIAN

Recommended Posts

This is kind of a weird thing but I'll add it:

Episode 4 of The Mandalorian, which is now officially a Western as of this episode (squeals with glee at all the callbacks to spaghetti westerns), has fun detail action for anyone thinking about Weeders.

A village layout that is sun rune-shaped with sun rune-shaped buildings; bogs; krill farmers; home-made clothing; boats (even if they sort of hover).

Also, the moral of the story is pleasantly Orlanthi: There is always another way, followed by Violence is always an option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, your Jedi mind tricks. will....not. .work...oh look Martha, awwww , gitcher credity card we just gots to order this here Diznee thang` right now!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, metcalph said:

Might be wise to include a couple of piccies as many of the readers here won't get Dinsey+ for another few months.

Crap I don't have any

There's a nice shot from overhead, the entire settlement is a sun rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would of course never suggest that one search for alternative means of watching this material if you're from outside the US. I would *never* suggest that. I would merely state that it is... possible. 

Looking forward to seeing this episode. The others so far have been - in my personal opinion - delightful. Also always nice to get visual references for Pelorian stuff outside the major metropolises.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I would of course never suggest that one search for alternative means of watching this material if you're from outside the US. I would *never* suggest that. I would merely state that it is... possible. 

Disney+ is available in Canada, Oz, NZ and the Netherlands.  The rest of Europe will follow in March 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Disney+ is available in Canada, Oz, NZ and the Netherlands.  The rest of Europe will follow in March 2020.

My point of never suggesting such a dastardly thing like circumventing Disney's abysmal usage of the global market, but noting that it is technically possible still stands.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. Are those artificial ponds for fish farming, or some kind of crop? I guess the question is a bit moot, since we're just using it as a loose reference for Weeder ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Interesting. Are those artificial ponds for fish farming, or some kind of crop? I guess the question is a bit moot, since we're just using it as a loose reference for Weeder ideas.

"Krill", although they looked more like shrimp to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

"Krill", although they looked more like shrimp to me.

prawn:shrimp  ~=  shrimp:krill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

"Krill", although they looked more like shrimp to me.

Now, this makes me wonder what the status on freshwater crawfish are in Glorantha. I seem to recall something about some Chinese communities combining rice farming and crawfish farming (possibly just as a minor side-gig), but I'm not sure how viable that is. 

For some reason Seshenale (ie. Tanier river valley) and the marshlands in Ralios makes me think more about freshwater crustaceans - buuuut that's entirely from nothing on my part. Maybe just the pseudo-Indian vibe from some Seshnelan artwork in the guide (but then again almost all of Genertela is pseudo-Indian).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

 (but then again almost all of Genertela is pseudo-Indian).

* All of Genertela is pseudo-Eurasia and pseudo-North America

3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I seem to recall something about some Chinese communities combining rice farming and crawfish farming (possibly just as a minor side-gig), but I'm not sure how viable that is. 

* ouais being being les crévisses

Wet rice paddies literally everywhere use feesh, which eat parasites and fertilise the rice with poops, but maybe some use shrimplings. fish are easier to catch later when they get fat off the parasites. also, feesh would eat shrimp, so you can't combine them effectively. I bet you could google this up real quick if you are interested.

8 hours ago, g33k said:

prawn:shrimp  ~=  shrimp:krill

* i was just surprised because the krill were large, but I learned today (TIL) krill can be like 6" (15 cm) long. Also they contain luciferin, like fireflies, which weird aliens and WHY NOT ALSO ALKOTHI, TROLLS, AND OTHER BANDITS brew into a dire whiskey that glows bright blue and doubtless is addictive, thus making them likely to raid the poor outlying Weeders.

Also genetically we don't really know the phylogeny of krill but they are not shrimp/prawn, they're separate. They have external lungs.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

* All of Genertela is pseudo-Eurasia and pseudo-North America

 

While true, it's pretty evident that Greg was particularly fond of sprinkling Indian aesthetics and tropes around. The Orlanthi, Seshnelans, Lunars - all make extensive usage of South-Asian/Indian subcontinental visual elements (architecture, art, weapons, clothing,, iconography, etc. etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:
 

While true, it's pretty evident that Greg was particularly fond of sprinkling Indian aesthetics and tropes around. The Orlanthi, Seshnelans, Lunars - all make extensive usage of South-Asian/Indian subcontinental visual elements (architecture, art, weapons, clothing,, iconography, etc. etc.).

image.png.4c85967b7fb5b15cc4dd256e6e92783f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

Episode 4 of The Mandalorian, which is now officially a Western as of this episode ...<snip>

I actually felt this in episode 3. All the episodes combined makes me wonder if we might be running more into "Lone Wolf and Cub" territory.

SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the latest Seven Samurai episode.   

(there's a recent twitter thread I can't find right now where someone gets very angry at people disagreeing that the Mandalorian is a western. As someone else points out, it's really inspired by both westerns and samurai movies, because they too inspired each other as they were being made.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

(there's a recent twitter thread I can't find right now where someone gets very angry at people disagreeing that the Mandalorian is a western. As someone else points out, it's really inspired by both westerns and samurai movies, because they too inspired each other as they were being made.)

Yeah that sounds like Twitter/Star Wars fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

(there's a recent twitter thread I can't find right now where someone gets very angry at people disagreeing that the Mandalorian is a western. As someone else points out, it's really inspired by both westerns and samurai movies, because they too inspired each other as they were being made.)

Saw a note saying Kurosawa's Jojimbo is the first modern western!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Saw a note saying Kurosawa's Jokimbo is the first modern western!

Yojimbo is considered the seed of modern Westerns, yes. It was based on a Dashell Hammett story and the music was inspired by Henry Mancini, and it was turned into Fistful of Dollars, Django, Last Man Standing, and Omega Doom.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Dashell Hammett

I will still go with the first ....now Dashell Hammett.... as to the first source i saw whilst Duck, duck going...

American writer Dashiell Hammett’s novels The Glass Key (1931) and Red Harvest (1929) have often been cited as sources for Kurosawa’s Yojimbo. As far as I can know, however, Kurosawa himself rather pointed towards the 1942 film noir adaptation of The Glass Key as the actual source that he used.

Don’t know this gent from adam (Vili Maunula), but... what were you looking at for that in the way of source...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I will still go with the first ....now Dashell Hammett.... as to the first source i saw whilst Duck, duck going...

American writer Dashiell Hammett’s novels The Glass Key (1931) and Red Harvest (1929) have often been cited as sources for Kurosawa’s Yojimbo. As far as I can know, however, Kurosawa himself rather pointed towards the 1942 film noir adaptation of The Glass Key as the actual source that he used.

Don’t know they sent from adam, but... what were you looking at for that in the way of source...

My memory. Glass Key. I thought it were the novel, not the film.

Also, Omega Doom is hilarious and came out the same year as Last Man Standing, believe it or not. I thought it was an 80s film but I just checked.

 

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...