Crack Rune Spell Discrepency

SNaomiScott

Okay, I'm a bit confused. It would appear there are two different versions of the Rune Spell 'Crack', one as described in the RQG rulebook, pg 324 (Non-Stackable, can't affect spirit-occupied items) and one as described in the RQG Bestiary, pg 94 (Stackable, can affect spirit-occupied items).

Is the Bestiary version an upgrade that's specific to Thed worshippers only, or does the newer version supplant the older version all round?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNaomiScott said:

Maybe it's Schrodinger's Crack? The effects vary with who's looking at it... 😋

Was wondering where you had got to. I see I need not have wondered. You obviously were just waiting for the right lead-in for a slam dunk, eh?

Cheers

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Was wondering where you had got to. I see I need not have wondered. You obviously were just waiting for the right lead-in for a slam dunk, eh?

Cheers

I've mostly been running Paladin and working on some ideas for Jonstown Compendium... Hopefully there shall be more news in the New Year. 😊

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:10 AM, SNaomiScott said:

Okay, I'm a bit confused. It would appear there are two different versions of the Rune Spell 'Crack', one as described in the RQG rulebook, pg 324 (Non-Stackable, can't affect spirit-occupied items) and one as described in the RQG Bestiary, pg 94 (Stackable, can affect spirit-occupied items).

Is the Bestiary version an upgrade that's specific to Thed worshippers only, or does the newer version supplant the older version all round?

One uses a Chaos rune, one uses Disorder.  They are both correct.  How it works depends on which rune you use.  Chaos doesn't obey the rules.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Here is the updated version which will appear in the upcoming Cults of Glorantha and replaces the two previous versions:

Temporal spirit magic, Rune magic, or sorcery does not make the item proof against the spell, the caster may boost with magic points to overcome the magic at 2 points per Rune point, 1 point per point of spirit magic, or 1 point per sorcery strength. The caster may also boost with magic points to help penetrate Shield, Countermagic or similar defensive spells. 
33 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Is this a new format where every spell will have this text added? Because otherwise it's just the standard rule about boosting, repeated.

No, that text is referring to other spells. So if I have Bladesharp 4 on my sword, you need to boost Crack with 4 MP to shatter my sword.

5 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

No, that text is referring to other spells. So if I have Bladesharp 4 on my sword, you need to boost Crack with 4 MP to shatter my sword.

Yes, you're right about the first sentence. Perhaps the second is added to clarify that you can boost for both purposes?

However, now I wonder if I have to make separate boosts for overcoming magic on the item and defensive magics (which matters as I might know what magics are up), or whether I can do it in a single boost that will then try to overcome everything.

Edited by Akhôrahil

1 minute ago, Akhôrahil said:

Yes, you're right about the first sentence. Perhaps the second is added to clarify that you can boost for both purposes?

However, now I wonder if I have to make separate boosts for overcoming magic on the item (which matters as I might know what magics are up), and defensive magics, or whether I can do it in a single boost that will then try to overcome everything.

So, if I have Countermagic 4 on me, and Bladesharp 4 on my sword, does it take 10 boosted MP to Crack my sword, or 6? I'd say... that I don't like the mechanic of any spell providing protection against Crack, but putting that aside... 10.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

So, if I have Countermagic 4 on me, and Bladesharp 4 on my sword, does it take 10 boosted MP to Crack my sword, or 6? I'd say... that I don't like the mechanic of any spell providing protection against Crack, but putting that aside... 10.

I was also thinking whether you have to say "I boost with 4 MP for penetration and 5 MP against magics in place", or "I boost with 9 MP, that will then sort itself out against penetration and ongoing magics afterwards".