New edition coming up?

Well, there may be a bit of irksomeness among fans who had to spend an age waiting for the 5.2 edition, only to see a quick turnaround to a new edition so soon. Beyond this, I sincerely hope they don’t muck around with the rule-set - which was personally designed by Greg Stafford as his self-expressed masterpiece. 

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greyblade said:

Was checking local RPG news & looks like Chaosium announced a new Pendragon edition for 2021 at a big RPG con in Cannes, France?

Is this confirmed?

No it hasn't been. There has been some talk on the forums about a 6th edition and what it should be, but most of the focus here has been about the products that are already under development, and when they will be ready for release. Oh, and supposedly the book of K&L is being revised.

I doubt that Chaosium would announce a new edition in France and say nothing about it elsewhere, especially in the US. Perhaps the new edition is in French and specifically targeted to French speaking gamers? 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

9 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

No it hasn't been. There has been some talk on the forums about a 6th edition and what it should be, but most of the focus here has been about the products that are already under development, and when they will be ready for release. Oh, and supposedly the book of K&L is being revised.

I doubt that Chaosium would announce a new edition in France and say nothing about it elsewhere, especially in the US. Perhaps the new edition is in French and specifically targeted to French speaking gamers? 

I suppose so. Especially since Pendragon has been in publishing limbo over here since Icare editions went down.

It was supposed to be sold over to Black Book Editions (which is one of the biggest RPG publishers in France) but the sad events of the last few years, with Stewart Wieck and Greg Stafford's deaths, have halted any plans they might have had.

1 hour ago, Greyblade said:

I suppose so. Especially since Pendragon has been in publishing limbo over here since Icare editions went down.

So it sounds like it "new" for you over there. 

THat said, you might still wind up ahead of us in the US. There is some talk of making a few corrections and updating some stuff, inclduing Character Generation in the Book of Knights & Ladies,  and any changes to the standard chargen might end up in your new edition. But that's just speculation.

It was supposed to be sold over to Black Book Editions (which is one of the biggest RPG publishers in France) but the sad events of the last few years, with Stewart Wieck and Greg Stafford's deaths, have halted any plans they might have had.

Yeah, things haven't been all that much better over here. Pendragon and Prince Valiant came back to Chaosium, and we got the Book of Sires supplement, but nothing else has come out, yet. Prince Valiant dropped into licensing limbo, and is out of print again. We've seen a few hints of stuff in the works, such as the Codex Mirabilis  (the new magic rules, check out the threat for the new art), but nothing 's been released since the Book of Sires.

To be fair to the folks at Chaosium, they were pretty busy producing new editions of Cthulhu and RuneQuest, and were not expecting to have Pendragon back. Nor did they expect Greg's passing so soon. So considering the circumstances, the slow releases are understandable. Better they take their time and get it right then rush something out that isn't ready. Especially since they will have to do it without Greg. 

Oh absolutely, and if a new edition do come out, I do hope it will finally unify all the different rulesets and add-ons we've seen during the long days of 5E.

Not that it wasn't cool, but having 4 or 5 different economic systems over the years took some time to get used to :)

I also hope they clean up the "messy but charming" old school vibe of the core rulebook (Hunting rules spread over three chapters, I'm looking at you)

Oh absolutely, and if a new edition do come out, I do hope it will finally unify all the different rulesets and add-ons we've seen during the long days of 5E.

Yeah, I think most of us agree on that. I do like the alternate methods for stuff like battles and such, but would like to see things like titles, income and glory consistent throughout the books. 

Not that it wasn't cool, but having 4 or 5 different economic systems over the years took some time to get used to :)

Well that was mostly getting the system refined. If you take a good look at how it evolved, it didn't really change all that much, just expanded to handle more. For example, the intial model, used in KAP1 had knights getting £2 per year for thier maintenance, which hasn't actually changed. In KAP3 it was increased to £6, but that included the wife, and squire. In the Book of the Estate and the Book of the Warlord, it was increased to £10, and even £20, but included the household, army, and retainers. 

Now the Book of the Manor did cause some problems, but it's not really used for much anymore.

I also hope they clean up the "messy but charming" old school vibe of the core rulebook (Hunting rules spread over three chapters, I'm looking at you)

Yeah, I hate that. It's not even "old school" as it used to be all together. I think the idea was to include part of it with the introductory adventure in order to make that easier for new GMs to run, but it made hunting more difficult to run for anyone who wasn't running the introductory adventure. 

I ended up printing off a GM screen with the tables. I think a little hunting supplement with the tables and a bestiary with all the rules and stats collected together would be a viable mini-product. 

4 hours ago, Dimbyd said:

I imagine the announcement was made by Jeff Richard at Cannes JDR con- so its official. 

A more formal announcement may happen in the future- but it could be days or months.

If the central forum for discussing all things Chaosium is unable to verify the truth in an announcement or not, it’s not a very good official announcement is it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

If the central forum for discussing all things Chaosium is unable to verify the truth in an announcement or not, it’s not a very good official announcement is it?

Indeed, apart from that interview in Cannes, I can't find any info anywhere else. So it's probably French market centric.

Having just bought the (gorgeous) 5.2 rulebook, I don't mind if I have to wait a few years longer for a 6th ed, and I suppose many other players do too :)

1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

You know, when I summarised Chaosium panel announcements in the past; I had the exact same “how can I trust this”.

it was more than a little annoying.....

Then MOB published it as a Chaosium blog post. 

There were indeed rumors lastly on french forums about Black Book Editions bribing for Pendragon french rights (I'm french and just checked it). Apparently, they were just rumors. For the french market, right now, nothing is decided, and french players must find ancient editions (I have the Oriflam books published at the beginning of the 1990s and I'm perfectly satisfied with them). But I found a mention that Jeff Richard announced a new edition for 2021... As Pendragon is a big success here in France since its first translation by Folio, I'm certain some French edition will negociate the rights for the French market. But like I said, there is no reliable detail yet!

22 minutes ago, Loïc said:

There were indeed rumors lastly on french forums about Black Book Editions bribing for Pendragon french rights (I'm french and just checked it). Apparently, they were just rumors. For the french market, right now, nothing is decided, and french players must find ancient editions (I have the Oriflam books published at the beginning of the 1990s and I'm perfectly satisfied with them). But I found a mention that Jeff Richard announced a new edition for 2021... As Pendragon is a big success here in France since its first translation by Folio, I'm certain some French edition will negociate the rights for the French market. But like I said, there is no reliable detail yet!

Salut ;)

When Icare went down, they sold the rights to BBE, but with Stewart's and later Greg's death, all publishing plans grinded to a halt. Having worked on translations for Icare/Jean-François before BBE takeover, I know there were actual plans for a continued publishing. I signed a contract & all. Alas, as with everything BBE (apparently), it was very slow going. And the aforementioned & unfortunate deaths brought everything to an end.

I do hope we see a new French edition of the game soon. It deserves to be available to the French audience, which has always supported it ever since Gallimard put out the old box back in the 80's. I hope it finds a new home, where it will be supported as it should.

Edited by Greyblade
  • Like 2

Great! Thanks for the fresh and first-hand news! I agree with you, Pendragon deserves it, and always had a great success in France. And I really really hope there will be some new material, never translated in French! I'm eager to complete my own Folio and Oriflam collection (I partly had with Chaosium original editions)! 😋

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Jeff was there on the EDGE stand. EDGE are the French licencees for RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu.

It strikes me that the most likely announcement was for a new French edition of Pendragon, based on 5.2, as has been already suggested.

Cool and yes, makes sense that Edge becomes the French publisher for Pendragon, since they already publish COC & Runequest here.

Well, someone needs to work on his CV now :)

Pendragon 5.2 for a French audience is great, and I would hope to be quickly added by Paladin? 

For an English speaking audience, we don’t need a new Pendragon edition just yet. What we, or at least I want are some new supplements (which are mooted) and a new edition of The Great Pendragon Campaign. Hopefully in a slipcase. 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:25 AM, Steve said:

Jeff was there on the EDGE stand. EDGE are the French licencees for RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu.

It strikes me that the most likely announcement was for a new French edition of Pendragon, based on 5.2, as has been already 

Well, in the video below, Stéphane from Edge (the video don't say who he is, or even what his last name is) explicitly talked about a 6th edition of Pendragon (the Pendragon part starts at 18:03).

Edit : I think it's Stéphane Bogard, studio coordinator at Edge, mentioned here: https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-announces-new-licensing-deal-for-french-and-spanish-with-edge-entertainment/ 

My guess it's just Pendragon coming back to Chaosium, basically. 

Edited by Mugen

Yeah, that does seem pretty definitive. Seems like they will have sections for each period with the new stuff that gets added and such. This could be the reason for the lack of any releases , they might be bringing all the new stuff up to 6th edition rules. It could be epic if everything get's cleaned, up, clarified, and made consistent between books. 

• Like 1

As long as the rules changes stay at the level of cleaning/tidying/minor improvements, I don't think there's any disrespect. The current team has been doing much of that work with Greg's oversight for some time, so them continuing in the same vein seems only appropriate. 

And, frankly, I want more expansions and a live game, so I want the rules to continue evolving - preserving as much of Greg's work as possible, but not letting the game die because he's gone.