Lunar Tarshite hospitality?

Beoferret

Do Lunars, especially those from Tarshite lands, have a code of hospitality? If so, is it anything like Orlanthi hospitality? The reason I'm asking: I've been drawing up an adventure that involves a Lunar manor holder (acting as a Sartarite thane) who is hosting an unsavory guest who might act in ways that nullify any protections provided through customs of hospitality.

It's my understanding that Tarshite Lunars are still culturally Orlanthi. That is, they organize in clans, hold tulas, have thanes and chiefs, form tribes, have hospitality rules, etc. 

Now, granted, the cities might alter the equation a bit, I don't know, for example, if Tarshite cities would be organized like Sartarite cities/towns, especially given that they are under a larger imperial hierarchy.

Yes, and what you’re suggesting sounds fine to me.

The Lunars aren’t monsters: they’re members of a complex multi-ethnic civilisation, an oikumene, where the teachings of the Red Goddess, the laws promulgated by her divine son, and so forth are an overlay to pre-existing cultures, which have hospitality codes.

Most Lunar Tarshites are good people.

(Most Lunars are good people)

((Most people are good people))

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

Sounds like Chaos propganda to me. :)

If you had continued attending your New Pelorian scribal classes, young Gazza,  you would have learned to spell.

Now write out "Lunar Propaganda" a hundred times.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nick Brooke said:

If you had continued attending your New Pelorian scribal classes, young Gazza,  you would have learned to spell.

Now write out "Lunar Propaganda" a hundred times.

Any Chaos is all Chaos! RRAAARRGGHHH! :)

• Like 1

Given your deprived upbringing, I can understand that you might not believe that "most people are good people."

I'm sorry. It genuinely saddens me.

When we rescue you from the Storm Bull zealots we will do our best to deprogramme you, so you can play a valuable role in society.

• Haha 4

We'll send a storm bull illuminate to explain how you can reconcile loyalty to the bull with a more inclusive view of the world, help you learn not to discriminate against your fellow sentients because of their otherness.

Edited by EricW
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Joerg said:

All good people are people... no matter how good, there is bound to be ugliness.

That is why Transcendance is the goal of the Lunar Path. This insistence on being mere 'people' is what holds other back - once you have travelled the path of the goddess far enough that you may live with her on the moon, you will learn to surrender your mere human self and understand that, through your Seventh Soul, you are part of the transcendent divine soul. 

But don't worry about that now. The first step on the path is to know that her way will guide you though the many errors of mortality. 

• Like 2

In our extremely non-canonical Lunar focused campaign, one of my PCs became a Yanafal hero.  She was originally from Talastar, just outside Dorastor.  She hated chaos it had destroyed her family and village, driving her onto her eventual path.  She also knew of Hospitality and some of the Storm Tribe myths and customs.

There was a very testy negotiation / meeting between her and Kallyr, that only went peacefully because of the Code of Hospitality, aided by a Chalana Arroy claiming protection over Kallyr.  (Kallyr had overextended herself as usual and gotten captured).

I don't see why Tarshites will have forgotten their past traditions so quickly.  Whether they keep to them is another question.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:50 AM, Beoferret said:

Do Lunars, especially those from Tarshite lands, have a code of hospitality? If so, is it anything like Orlanthi hospitality? The reason I'm asking: I've been drawing up an adventure that involves a Lunar manor holder (acting as a Sartarite thane) who is hosting an unsavory guest who might act in ways that nullify any protections provided through customs of hospitality.

As has been mentioned, most Lunar Tarshites are sort-of Orlanthi under the skin, so conform to that kind of hospitality.

23 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Yes, and what you’re suggesting sounds fine to me.

The Lunars aren’t monsters: they’re members of a complex multi-ethnic civilisation, an oikumene, where the teachings of the Red Goddess, the laws promulgated by her divine son, and so forth are an overlay to pre-existing cultures, which have hospitality codes.

In my Glorantha, there are some Lunars who very strongly express that they are different, that they have changed and that the Red Goddess broke the rules. So, they deliberately use the Yelmic Hospitality Rules, or their own Lunar Hospitality Rules, instead of the Tarshite ones.

To a certain extent, it doesn't matter. "Don't cause harm to your guests" is a common thing for all Hospitality Rules, for example. However, there might be some differences, so a Lunar might feel free to hand guests over to other Lunars, whereas a more traditionalist Tarshite might refuse.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here