BRP/RQ/HQ?

BRP and the old versions of RQ that is 1,2 and 3 are pretty close to each other, indeed with the various options in the BRP rule book and the Basic magic monograph you can pretty much recreate RQ3. Mongoose RuneQuest ( MRQ ) differs in some salient points but is definately part of the BRP family.

Heroquest on the other hand is a very different animal altogether. I've not played myself so I'll leave it to others to go into more detail.

Edited by Agentorange

HeroQuest takes a different approach to BRP, whereby characters are (often) generated in a freeform way, by highlighting keywords from a narrative description of the character. It uses a D20 for all rolls (no other polyhedrals) and the systems work differently accordingly.

BRP is more structured - formally listed Characteristics, Skills etc. RuneQuest is, more or less, structured in the same way, but has some modifications and differing approaches to subsystems depending upon the edition.

As has been stated, HeroQuest uses a D20 for die rolls. It also has an interesting and very scaleable way of skill resolution.

At its most basic level, HeroQuest has Abilities than can represent skills, characteristics, personality traits or special abilities. All use the same mechanic and can be directly compared. This makes HeroQuest a very easy to use and very powerful system. However, it has lots of sub rules bolted on top to make it fit into Glorantha, but these can be ignored quite easily.

RuneQuest is a D100 system that is similar to BRP. It has slightly different skill lists, slightly different Characteristics, a different character generation system, a slightly different skill resolution and a very different magic system.

So, RuneQuest and BRP are slightly different and RQ/BRP and HeroQuest are very different. It is fairly easy to convert between BRP and RQ and also between HeroQuest and RQ/BRP, if you skip over the problematic parts.

For example, converting HeroQuest cults to RQ Gloranthan cults is very easy. Converting Mythic Russian (HeroQuest) cults to RQ Alternate Earth Cults is easy. In fact, I use HeroQuest as a first-level template for RQ cults. Since BRP magic is different to RQ, converting HeroQuest cults to BRP is a bit harder and depends on how you model BRP cults.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

HeroQuest has a D20 roll under mechanic. 1 is a critical and 20 a fumble. As such its pretty easy to convert the mechanic to D100.

Once a skill or ability goes above 20 it is described as having reached Mastery represented by the Gloranthan Matery Rune and wriiten as W for simplicity. So someone with a skill of 25 would be listed as 5W ( ie 5 + Mastery). Some one with a skill of 65 would have 5W3 (ie 5 + 3 levels of mastery 20 + 20 + 20 = 60).

You always ever have to roll under the number under your mastery, except that your materies will then bump your level of success. So say in an example with an ability of 2W you roll 12.

This would be a failure, but because you have a Mastery, gets bumped up to success.

So with a 1 Mastery advantage, you never fumble, with 2 you never fail, with 3. You always critical!

Finally, HQ is a conflict resolution system as opposed to a task resolution system.

I am working on a hybrid system which based on HQ will include the RQ stats and attributes, HP and combat mechanics. I'll also inclue the Pendragon Traits and Passions from PenDragonPass

I think it will allow a good gloranthan game with griity combat and with a comunity feel.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Finally, HQ is a conflict resolution system as opposed to a task resolution system.

Which is a very trendy way of saying "All rolls in HeroQuest are opposed rolls, while most rolls in BRP are unopposed rolls".

I am working on a hybrid system which based on HQ will include the RQ stats and attributes, HP and combat mechanics. I'll also inclue the Pendragon Traits and Passions from PenDragonPass

This could be the ultimate roleplaying game.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

This could be the ultimate roleplaying game.

It would be for me. Lol

The game will allow a choice between confict or task resolution as the players want.

I want it compatible with all RQ 2-3, BRP and HW / HQ1 stats with little effort.

I'll post some notes up when I'm done and playtested a bit, but it won't be for a time.

As with all things BRP, the character sheet is a problem in terms of building one specific to what I want.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Interesting, I may end up purchasing the Runequest deluxe ed (I like to read them physical).

Also, Openquest (formerly SimpleQuest), is it also just a slight variant of BRP?

OpenQuest uses the Mongoose OGL to replicate a RQ2 feel game.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Interesting, I may end up purchasing the Runequest deluxe ed (I like to read them physical).

Also, Openquest (formerly SimpleQuest), is it also just a slight variant of BRP?

Ah...a slight variant on RuneQuest, actually - but the effect is pretty much the same! I consider them all to be different applications of the same basic system - even though others may argue about this. SimpleQuest also can be downloaded for free, incidently. In fact, if you really want to add some spice, you could download the first chapter of Unknown Armies, which isn't directly BRP at all, but is related enough (percentile based skills system) that you could mine lots of ideas from it. That's at the Atlas Games site.

Edited by TrippyHippy

I done that for a game based on the Fables comic books and it worked rather brilliantly. Mix of everyone understands what a percentage is from RQ/BRP, self-explanatory personality traits from PenDragon and some of the clever bits from HQ (including the character generation rules which I think are the best ever written).

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I done that for a game based on the Fables comic books and it worked rather brilliantly. Mix of everyone understands what a percentage is from RQ/BRP, self-explanatory personality traits from PenDragon and some of the clever bits from HQ (including the character generation rules which I think are the best ever written).

Al

What's special about the HQ char-gen rules?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Essentially you write about 100 words to describe your character. From those you pick out skills, magic, profession, relationships and special items.

All these are given a predetermined value that can be raised from a pool of points.

You also have Keywords, which are things like your cultural background, profession and magic. So, Troll, Beetle Breeder and Initiate of Gorakikki would fit. Each keyword contains individual skills that fit the keyword, some will be listed but if something new comes up in play that would fit, just add it to the list.

It's a lot of fun generating PCs.

I haven't seen the new edition, but I gather that hasn't changed much.

Pretty much. Its based off the MRQ SRD, with tons if ideas form previous editions of Stormbringer and Runequest and some common sense house rulings from me to fill in the gaps. The overall intent was to create a streamlined easy to play Fantasy D100 game, that was broadly compatible with other editions of RQ and BRP.

Please note the previous version of the game, SimpleQuest ZeroEdition, which is alot less polished is no longer available thorough me. I'd much rather provide people with free pdf's of the final version of OpenQuest :)

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain