Blacksmiths in Sartar?

Scorus

As of 1625, the only known Third Eye Blue blacksmith family in all of Sartar (Dragon Pass, and possibly expanding to Prax and the Holy Country) has left Apple Lane, presumably following Gringle. 

Any blacksmiths associated with the occupying Lunar Army are likely to have gone, too, or gathered in Alda-Chur. Maybe one or two could have ended up in captivity not unlike the next entry.

The giant smith of the Red Cow clan may be history at this point, too.

That would leave a very few Humakti blacksmiths associated with better known temples, or in the bigger cities. Maybe two dozens.

There may be very few apostate Iron Mostali in all of Dragon Pass - I would be astonished if there were five.

Ethilrist is likely to have at least one blacksmith, possibly a small handful. Probably of Malkioni smithing traditions.

Harrek is as likely to have blacksmiths, probably taken from wherever his wolf pirates encountered one. Unlike other wolf pirates, I think they would have been offered membership without having to displace a former wolf pirate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

You would need to remember that New Pavis has Flintnail cultists who can produce iron weapons, as well as at least one blacksmith in the Humakt temple, and likely at least one other independent ironsmith.  Sun County will almost certainly have one blacksmith as well to cater for the rune level Yelmalios.  The numbers are small, but when we are quoting figures like 12, then another 6 blacksmiths is not inconsiderable.  I would expect most clans in Sartar would have some provision for equipping their weaponthanes with iron, but while every tribe would have at least 1 blacksmith, any clan that had such a person in their ranks would get plenty of prestige from their presence.

I would imagine that Argrath is likely to get his smithing done in the Holy Country when possible.  It is a long way behind the lines, and has friendly dwarves, as well as large population centers that could make good money by supplying Argrath's army.  While the Heortlings are likely to be eager to fight, I doubt other factions will be as interested, but will also be unlikely not to want to grow rich, and if that means blacksmithing, why wouldn't they?  Especially if it keeps the humans off their backs while the complete their section of the world machine?

It is a certainty that the Vadeli will sell arms, but if the Lunars don't have a decent port, they cannot receive any Vadeli arms, unless they come overland from Teshnos or the West, which is a longer and more expensive route.

There is also a lot of iron just rusting in the ruins of the Clanking City, but mainly bronze.

The bulk of everyone's iron still comes from the Iron Mountains in Seshnela.  While anyone with the currency can buy there, the Sartarites will have an advantage due to better access by land and sea.

The lunars of course have their own independent iron supplies, and can enchant silver to be competitive with iron against spirits, which is a broad class of enemies.  They have obviously had a lot longer to build a powerful army and it will start off with a notable advantage in quality equipment for the most part.   Sartar will often be using captured Lunar equipment that has had some cosmetic changes, especially with regards to armor.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darius West said:

You would need to remember that New Pavis has Flintnail cultists who can produce iron weapons,

I kinda doubt this.  The Flintnail cult is one of stonemasons, not ironworking.  The other suggested blacksmith placings I have no problem with.

• Like 2

Although Humakt is the only current written source of teaching Craft (Iron) to their initiates, I suspect there may be the odd individual here and there who knows it too. I'd make that a storyline rather than making it a set piece.

Humakti, so about 4k in Sartar, mainly in the Lismelder, Malani and Bolhome. You need a minor temple to get all of a cult's special rune magics (enchant Iron), so put a minor temple in each of those places. So that's three plus initiates being trained in blacksmithing, so I'd say 3-6 Swords, plus another 3-6 initiates. Make the blacksmiths the older retired types and that makes sense to me.

Yanafal Tarnils can also craft Iron, but none are likely left in Sartar.

The Dwarf and his crew will likely smith things for you with a trade or fee. Likewise that's a storyline (see also The Gifts of Stone, for the Dwarf Ridge dwarves in The sartar companion).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, Brian McReynolds said:

If your players, like my own, are based in Apple Lane, then they aren't too far away from the Humakti temple of Six Stones in the Sword Vale. There is likely to be an Iron-smith at or near the Temple.

Humor someone apparently having trouble reading maps... The "adventure book" (page 58) gives Apple Lane as

32 kilometers from the nearest city, Jonstown.

yet the map in RQ:RiG (page 105) shows it clearly closest to Runegate, with a mountain range between it and Jonstown. (And the AAA doesn't show Apple Lane at all)...

But I've been unable to locate "Sword Vale" in these references. Hence my request for more detailed directions

1 hour ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

yet the map in RQ:RiG (page 105) shows it clearly closest to Runegate, with a mountain range between it and Jonstown. (And the AAA doesn't show Apple Lane at all)...

But I've been unable to locate "Sword Vale" in these references. Hence my request for more detailed directions

Based on the map of "The Lands of Dragon Pass" (2003) the distance between Apple Lane and Swan is about 4 miles.

Jeff Richards posted in Facebook a Southern and Northern Sartar map that I composed to the detail below for your reference. I think the distance of 32km from Apple Lane and Jonstown is about right...
YET...
Runegate and Clearwine are closer and may be easier places to find a blacksmith.

I have also to say that I haven't seen anywhere the "Sword Vale" in any of my references or maps.

Hope this morsel of the new map of Sartar helps. (by the way... I hope the Sartar book and map is released really soon...)

image.png.4a0848eac39db2eb45f57e67e785ca4d.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baron Wulfraed said:

Humor someone apparently having trouble reading maps... The "adventure book" (page 58) gives Apple Lane as

Runegate is not one of the official cities of Sartar, but more a fortified village in a strategic position. The three official cities Wilmskirk, Jonstown and Swemstown are the centers of tribal confederations, ruled by a mayor. Neither Rutegate and Clearwine have a confederation (but then, Duck Point doesn't either). At best, these two villages have a tribal official of the Colymar as representative of the town wyter.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, FungusColombicus said:

I have also to say that I haven't seen anywhere the "Sword Vale" in any of my references or maps.

Sword Vale is clearly marked on the Colymar Tribes map of the GM screen pack. It's in the Lismelder lands, the next village south of rune gate on the good ale path. The Good Sword clan are one of the centres of Humakti worship in Sartar (along with the malani and a temple in Bold home).

The reference to the Goodsword's, and the six stones temple (aka Indrodar’s Necklace) is on page 55. It's not named on the map, and six stones isn't visible either as it's just off the edge.

It's described in Sartar KoH as

Indrodar's Necklace

This ancient circle of six standing stones is an entry place to Hell, protected by the cult of Humakt. It is one of the most important Humakt holy places in Sartar and the center of the cult of Humakt in this region. Here Humakt emerged from Hell carrying the sword Death and many ancient heroes performed great rituals here.

In the Third Age, this place was used by Indrodar Greydog as a mustering place to fight against the Walking Corpses of the Upland Marsh. Even today, the Lismelder tribal musters of warriors are held here.

if you are in apple lane and want an iron smith go there.

The other alternative is the Isolting clan of the Malani - page 55 too. However events in Apple Lane may make that difficult 🙂

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 11/5/2020 at 5:01 PM, metcalph said:

I kinda doubt this.  The Flintnail cult is one of stonemasons, not ironworking.  The other suggested blacksmith placings I have no problem with.

The issue here is that we think of Flintnail as a cult, but that is a human conceit.  The Mostali who live and work in the area no doubt hold Flintnail in high regard, and find humoring the humans to be politically useful, but they are not really flintnail cultists, they are Mostali of the Openhandist persuasion who are likely answerable to the Dwarf of Dwarf Run who may or may not be Flintnail.

It is a certainty that the dwarves of Dwarfside have a bronze smithy for casting metal equipment, but consider, there is more to this picture.  The Big Rubble is full of Elves and Trolls, both of whom are susceptible to iron.  There are unquestionably Dwarf warriors present in New Pavis and environs.  Every member of the Iron Dwarf caste is an iron smith as well as a warrior.  While iron as a material may not be common in the vicinity, and it is unlikely that there are an excessive number of master Iron smiths among the New Pavis  dwarves, we would be foolish to assume that the Dwarf equivalent of rune level individuals were not master ironsmiths.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:01 AM, Scorus said:

Thanks for all this! My players were looking to recruit a blacksmith to revitalize the Apple Lane forges. I will suggest they find a redsmith for now and plant the seed for an adventure to find and recruit Piku's son.

Nice

On 11/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, Stephen L said:

Especially if said redsmith is a fugitive from a neighbouring tribe, pulling the players into a feud...

and again nice.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!