Defending Apple Lane

Ryan Kent

The adventure book says that Redeye is a monstrous semi-divine boar sent by Ernalda. (page 47.)  The adventure book also says "The Tusk Riders in Defending Apple Lane (page 79) worship Redeye as an incarnation of the God-Pig Gouger." (page 47.) The adventure further says "Once at Pig hollow, they offer blood and promises to Redeye the Boar if it will protect them." (page 78.)

Is Redeye a cult spirit of Ernalda and/or the God-Pig Gouger, subject to Command Cult Spirit of either or both cults?

Worth a shot...

If I were being *very* generous as a GM, I'd possibly allow it, as the the spell description has

This spell permits the caster to command cult spirits, such as
elementals, *petty deities*, guardians, and other such entities

However, given it sounds more like a spirit of retribution, I wouldn't hold out much hope. 

Even if you do allow it, they do have to overcome its Pow, which at 21, presumably isn't that easy.

3 hours ago, Ryan Kent said:

Is Redeye a cult spirit of Ernalda and/or the God-Pig Gouger, subject to Command Cult Spirit of either or both cults?

If you want to resolve this mechanically, assume that a cult spirit of Ernalda is here under a powerful, long-duration Command that your spell would need to override. Ernalda sent it in the same manner she sent Gouger in the Silver or Dawn Age. (Or possibly just before she went to sleep fleeing from Nontraya.) Can you out-magic that goddess with her own magic?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, Ryan Kent said:

Yes.

13 hours ago, Ryan Kent said:

What about the Rune Spell Command Swine?

Yes.

MGF page 6. Bear in mind you have to get near enough Redeye, yes, Rune spells have a range of 160m, but Pig Hollow is dense woodland. You can also boost your Rune spell with mps to give yourself an edge over an identical strength spell (page 248).

This would be a cool magic showdown - Xiobalg and Yanioth vying for control of Redeye, while adventurers and tusk riders cower...

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

20 hours ago, Ryan Kent said:

What about the Rune Spell Command Swine?

Command (Species) Rune depends on cult 2 Points Ranged, Temporal, Nonstackable While it endures, this spell allows the caster to take over the actions and will of an unintelligent creature

so I would say no : Redeye is too .... smart

I would say it is possible to cast command a spirit cult but as @Joerg the difficulty should be great.

What I understood is Ernalda would be pleased" if adventurers kill it (get back to her), I m not sure that she will be happy seeing one of her monsters enslaved by mortals (maybe some bab's would be happy to free the beast)

11 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

what if you incapacitate it and sacrifice it to Ernalda?

That's a great role-playing moment. I'd love to hear what happens (as with page 268 in RQG):

https://www.redbubble.com/i/photographic-print/The-Sacrifice-by-Andrey-Fetisov-by-Chaosium/34388357.6Q0TX

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

The line from the book tells me that the Tusk Riders have formed a spirit cult around Redeye. So anything needs to start from the premise that it already has such a cult in operation with a priest and worshippers. The Ernalda/Gouger/Redeye connection is interesting. Ernalda sent both of them as punishment, but their worshippers are very, very far afield from the earth goddess! So in my game I am assuming that they were captives of Ernalda released upon the world as punishment.

In my game, I have adapted the backstory from In a Merry Green Vale (a great source of ideas if you are playing in the Apple Lane area, though it is 1615 and not 1625). There is a Gouger Lord in Pig Hollow with ca. 20 tusk riders under his command, Xiobalg's attack on Apple Lane was a rogue operation to get his own Lord qualification and start his own band. The Gouger Lord continues to harry Birne's Squeeze and also raids Antorling, Hiording, and Lysang territory for sacrifices. He is trying to breed or even tame Redeye as a mount.

My players are trying to get the three clans to band together to clean out Pig Hollow, as part of a larger mission to convince Lysang to rejoin Colymar. They think they can get the Dragonewts to help, but are wrong. I'm interested in whether they will realize that the Anmangarn and possibly the Aldryami would help also.