RosenMcStern

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watch Alexandre Nevsky

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I have - with the score played live by an orchestra - phenominal way to see a film. I guess I just didn't connect the word 'crusade' with those events. The image of the knights crashing through the ice is very memorable - and a great use for the SIZ stat!

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Well... the 'closest' crusade was the Albigensian Crusade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So much handier having crusades close to home don't you think ?

"Well, Baron L'orange where shall we crusade today ? "

" Your Majesty, I thought against that little village over there, just on the other side of the stream. We could be home by teatime. The baroness is making rhubarb crumble you know "

" Rhubarb crumble...mmmmm ...... with custard ? "

"Absolutely Your Majesty "

I have - with the score played live by an orchestra - phenominal way to see a film. I guess I just didn't connect the word 'crusade' with those events. The image of the knights crashing through the ice is very memorable - and a great use for the SIZ stat!

Quite true.

In fact, Alexandre Nevski is not about a Crusade (It should not be because told from the russian POV), but the teutonic knights where present in Prussia and Baltic states because of the Baltic Crusades , that lead to the creation of a monastic state of the teutonic knights. The Peipus lake battle (described in the movie), is between teutonic and Livonian (ie Balt) knights coming from this state and a russian army.

I agree with you, Prokofiev music is real good, but I never had the chance to hear it played DURING the movie.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Back on topic...

So Rosen, considering that MRQ will no longer be OGL, what will your future products use for a license? Will you switch your entire line over to BRP? Get a MRQ2 license? Go with a differernt sytem? Make a homegrown variant? Or what?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Our plans should be obvious at this point. I have clearly considered OpenQuest as an alternative, but there are good reasons why Alepthar Games should go another way. The same reasons might not apply to others, though, so I expect an increase in OpenQuest supplements and spin-offs in the next few months. An homebrew system could be a nice idea, but it would have the same issues as using OpenQuest, for us. So I was left with only one option.

The future of the Merrie England series is truly dependent on Simon's decision. But we have already discussed this our the initial ideas seem to converge, at the moment. In any case, I have two good ideas for non-d100 games on my desktop, one of which is currently being developed. So losing the benefits of a supported MRQ OGL, although it hurts our plans in the short terms, is not so terrible.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Technically, they can be sold in their current incarnation only until Nov/Dec 2010.

Which is a great shame as my first true love in roleplaying was, and still is, RuneQuest.

What will happen to Merie England is Simon's decision, although we have already planned something.

I can see a reimagining for BRP being on the cards, expanded and improved.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well... the 'closest' crusade was the Albigensian Crusade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possibly coming not so soon to a Merrie England campaign pack. The Cathars almost border Aquitaine and I can see that Crusade being important to the knights of Merrie England and the Angevin domains.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I can see a reimagining for BRP being on the cards, expanded and improved.

You mean more 3rd party MRQ companies switching over to BRP? Maybe.

Considering that it is all to easy to have the rug yanked out from underneath, I would think that this would probably spell the end of OGL.

Back when D&D 3.0 came out, everyone kept saying that companies couldn't pull the plug on OGL lines, but it seems pretty easy to kill it off by coming out with a newer, non-OGL edition.

BTW, THeroectically could a company still produce stuff for MRQ1 under the OGL? It might not be MRQ2 approved, but I think it would still be perfectly legal according to the OGL.

BTW, THeroectically could a company still produce stuff for MRQ1 under the OGL? It might not be MRQ2 approved, but I think it would still be perfectly legal according to the OGL.

Theoretically nothing! Matt Sprange has already stated that this is the case.

The only caveat is you cannot say it is compatible or designed for RuneQuest.

Mongoose is pulling the MRQ license as well as leaving OGL.

Same with D&D moving to 4.0 - the OGL for 3.0 and 3.5 are still valid, but the

d20 STL went away.

Ian

Same with D&D moving to 4.0 - the OGL for 3.0 and 3.5 are still valid, but the

d20 STL went away.

Ian

It would just seem to me that people could make stuff for MRQ1. I suppose the reality of it is that a new edition of an RPG kills off the old one, with most of the players switching over to the new edition.

But if I were running a game company, I would never touch OGL RPGs again. To great a chance of getting caught "with your pants down". I suppose Mongoose would have been put in a tough spot with D&D 4 if they weren't getting most of their income from miniatures.

Maybe I'll dust off that game system I started on a few years back.

It would just seem to me that people could make stuff for MRQ1. I suppose the reality of it is that a new edition of an RPG kills off the old one, with most of the players switching over to the new edition.

But if I were running a game company, I would never touch OGL RPGs again. To great a chance of getting caught "with your pants down". I suppose Mongoose would have been put in a tough spot with D&D 4 if they weren't getting most of their income from miniatures.

Maybe I'll dust off that game system I started on a few years back.

There are plenty of companies still producing material based upon the 3.0/3.5

OGL. Pathfinder by Paizo is d20 OGL based, and some of the books are even

released under the OGL. Conan will remain d20 OGL based - the issue is

whether or not Mongoose will be able to renew the license, and if they were

going to move to RQ or go systemless or do d20 OGL and RQ. Castles and

Crusades by Troll Lord Games is also based upon the d20 OGL. Green Ronin's

True20 and Mutants and Masterminds are d20 OGL systems.

People can make stuff for MRQ1, they just cannot say it is for RuneQuest.

That is a separate license. Same with the d20 OGL and d20 STL- people can

make d20 OGL based games, but cannot claim d20 compatibility. Separate

licenses. There is no "getting caught with you pants down" - the MRQ OGL

and d20 OGL exist in perpetuity. What you are "worried" about is the

killing off of the d20 STL and RuneQuest licenses - the licenses that let you

say "This product is compatible with [d20/RuneQuest]".

Mongoose and others were fine with D&D 4 - they had other lines or a strong

enough d20 OGL line that stood on its own.

Ian

Considering that it is all to easy to have the rug yanked out from underneath, I would think that this would probably spell the end of OGL.

Hence my earlier comments regarding the OGL being a trap. In one way it is open, but in another way it is more restrictive.

Even if the core rules are open and usable in (almost) any project, any invested energy can be quickly undermined. The other side of the trap is that the OGL is not as open as people are sometimes lead to believe. Even so there is always a risk with any form of licensing.

The result does differ when considering commercial projects compared with free projects that use an OGL product core.

Pathfinder is a good example of a company keeping control, surviving and making their own (and possibly better) way. They managed to define their own sense of product.

Edited by dragonewt

You can still say it is compatible with RuneQuest. The only think you cannot do is use the RQ logo.

OpenQuest is still explicitly based on the RuneQuest OGL and is still legal. And it will stay in its place for long, I guess :lol:

Homebrew based on the OGL is still doable. I did not choose to go that way with some products, as I did not choose to go OpenQuest, for possible translation issues.

I do not understand why there are translation issues. Could someone please explain this.

Most licenses do not contain rules for translations of the material they cover

into other languages or are not written in a "legalese" that would be accepted

by the jurisdiction of the nation(s) into whose language the material is trans-

lated.

For example, many licenses written by companies in the USA are based upon

the US copyright law, while Germany and many other European nations do

not know such a copyright law at all, their legal protection system for intel-

lectual property is based upon a very different view of intellectual property.

Another problem is the fact that some publishers in various countries have

paid money for the permission to translate or work with BRP systems, for

example the publishers of Call of Cthulhu in Germany or of Hawkmoon in

France, and some of these could react badly to someone who publishes very

similar material for free, without a valid (see above) license.

This is at least my understanding of the problems, but I am not a lawyer. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Exactly. The above explanation was confirmed to me - in public - by the company that holds the rights to the Traveller Italian translation. They would simply not allow anyone to publish any Traveller OGL materials in Italian.

Suppose I want to make an OpenQuest game. All ok in English. But if I want to translate it into Lithuanian, and someone has purchased the license for the Lithuanian translation of RuneQuest from Mongoose, then this someone could - and would - have something to object.

Suppose I want to make an OpenQuest game. All ok in English. But if I want to translate it into Lithuanian, and someone has purchased the license for the Lithuanian translation of RuneQuest from Mongoose, then this someone could - and would - have something to object.

Doesn't the following section of the OGL count?

(g) "Use", "Used" or "Using" means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content.

Doesn't this mean that the original copyright owner has given permission?

Edited by dragonewt

Doesn't the following section of the OGL count?

It does, in the USA. :)

However, if you would try to use it as the core of a court case in a nation

with a different intellectual property law, you could face a nasty surprise,

especially if someone else has a valid license for the same material and has

already used it to publish that material.

If you wanted to find out about the consequences in a specific nation, you

would probably have to start with something like this here:

http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/ipworldwide/country.htm

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)